Should blooming be extended extra time when making seeds?

Imo they need the same or more. Seeds are a lot more work n require more energy.

8 Likes

Agreed, donā€™t cut them off at the knees when they about to perform for you.

8 Likes

indoors I find the seeds usually finish in 4 weeks after pollination, if the plants are healthy. No need to allow more than 5 weeks, I wouldnā€™t let them sit there to wither and die. The plantā€™s not going to develop the seeds any more when itā€™s dying out.

7 Likes

Just watched that one lol. What was he thinking?
Ill give sub credit on three accounts though.

1. Supersoil, its a great starting point and develops into a great living soil when worked properly
  2. Back crossing, sub says to avoid it and with my ag background I know this to be true beyond doubt.
  3. Jack the ripper, I know he didnā€™t do all the work but its a damn fine smoke. Same for vortex which id stop short of homicide to get some more beans.
    As far as lights go everyone should be taking a hard look at LED/quantum but to each there own.

Good hunting friend!

3 Likes

I only pollinate the lower branches of my plants. I have never tried to pollinate an entire plant.
I use a small model type paint brush to ā€œpaintā€ the pistils with pollen. I usually wait for the branch bud sites to develop enough pistils for the amount of seeds I want to make.
In my experience, it takes anywhere from three to five weeks for the seeds to matureā€¦depending upon strain and other environmental variables.
When the swollen calyxes split open and display a dark colored seed inside (and/or as mentioned above, they rattle around inside the calyxes), the seeds are mature and viable.
I love pollen painting!
So much fun and quite rewarding. It is quite a genetic adventure, because you never know what you are going to get until you grow them out!

6 Likes

fair points. i need to RTFM on the forum rules so this thread doesnā€™t go wild. iā€™m sure thereā€™s a sub-hater thread somewhere. heh.

supersoil. did it but didnā€™t ā€˜follow the directionsā€™ and burned almost every plant, super-lemon-haze ate it up. wtf. it got me started into the soil knowledge journey about a year agoā€¦ my next experiment will be a sips/earthbox, lined with a double layer of felt, attempting to get the best of air-pruning and water efficiency. anyone done this?
back-xā€™ing. iā€™ll take your word for it, but it seems like anything else-- ā€œpractice makes perfectā€.
JTR. never had enough to remember it. :wink:

2 Likes

ā€¦oh yeahā€¦ANDā€¦

urban light pollution on overcast/cloudy nights arrived about weeks 5-6 of bloom. wonderful.
today i got black 6mil plastic and will have to be 'light-deppā€™ing in fā€™n january & february. lame.

for what itā€™s worth:
if a perfect bloom envirionment is maintained, what happens if the plants are left to bloom indefinitely? anyone done it? my guess is just smaller & weaker buds forever on out, but iā€™m here to pester you experts. (& nuts too).

cannabis.sequoia

1 Like

Soma makes his seeds by letting a female continue to bloom. He flowers the plant until she makes seeds on her own. At least thatā€™s what it says in his book.

2 Likes

i read that recently as well. thatā€™s his ā€œfeminizedā€ seed method, not the hybrids or IBLs, to my understanding.

it explained the few ā€œhermā€ experiences i thought i had in the pastā€¦ but now iā€™ve got a REAL one. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes