Should I avoid breeding particular strains?

Hey guys this summer I want to start breeding some seeds, hopefully I get a male do-si-dos #4, should I avoid breeding plants with girl scout cookies in them? Since they are kinda in the same family of og kush?

15 Likes

I’d only avoid breeding with, or rather spreading, anything that herms. Anything else should be good :+1:

14 Likes

It depends too on what your goals are for the project. Sometimes I will mix two completely different strains like a Northern Lights x Black Domina. Other times I will mix strains that both contain a common strain to keep that part of the cross at 50% of make up. For example Sugar Black Rose x Black Domina. This is effectively making a BX1.

7 Likes

Just grow the Romulan and forget anything else. That’s my advice.

11 Likes

Lol nice. What version of romulan do you recommend that’s available out there?

4 Likes

I could be off on this, but I thought Northern Lights was part of the parentage of Black Domina?

2 Likes

I never grew romulan, the site I buy from doesn’t have as big a selection as seedsman, but some strains are cheaper than the official breeder’s site, I’m really hyped to grow romulan.

3 Likes

You know you are right. Bad example on my part.

2 Likes

honestly none of those are originals, so do whatever you want. just don’t try to pawn them off as the originals when you name them as your parents.

2 Likes

You mean not the original breeders? I know some maybe not, It’s for personal use, but honestly I’m a free individual and I can do whatever I want.

you are a free individual.

Those seeds are not actually “romulan” “wedding cake” “gelato 33” etc etc

4 Likes

Christx, dan only is saying those are clone only

2 Likes

Oh ok, how am I gonna get them good genetics, I ain’t paying insane prices just to know there are the real thing? If it’s close enough I’m happy.

1 Like

Yeah the seeds you have could be even better than the clones, but the DNA of the seeds will not be exactly the same as the clones of gelato 33 or wedding cake. The seeds should be close, they probably S1’d of F2’d them and just label it as the clone only is called. Theres a lot of different Wedding cake clones, but only one or two are the ones that are known as the true Wedding Cake, and Gelato #33 was a particular pheno of Gelato that was passed around as a clone only. Good luck.

3 Likes

I’ve heard Jack Herer is so dominant in so many traits, that anything bred with Jack Herer in it will become Jack Herer within a few generations (f3-f5) of inbreeding.

4 Likes

I have original Romulan seeds and female pollen
Crossed it with purple Urkle makes a good strain
Only bad thing about the Romulan it’s regular seeds more males than females,maybe I’ll grow a male collect the pollen

2 Likes

That’s interesting 7.
Do you have a link for that?
How many gens?
My Tiger Jack was Golden Tiger (Ace) male X Jack Herrer (clone) female.
I’d like to get back to pure Jack as it was a very creative, energetic high.

1 Like

personally I try not to work with girl scout cookies or girl scout cookies descendants, because they were originally bred accidentally from multiple generations of herming clone only cuts.

They would get stress herms, and grow the seeds from the surrounding plants knowing that they would all be female. It was crossed back to the same herming cuts for multiple generations.

Cookies is inbred and carries instability due to this haphazard breeding process.

2 Likes

Cookies is a herm risk and I avoided it early even though it is really nice flower. A lot of the descendants are more gender stable with proper breeding now. Ive done some breeding with cookie descendants, but I wish I would have breed with cookies more years ago to reduce the herm trait and acclimate to the local outdoor environment.

2 Likes

I seriously doubt those “generic” (as in from some random european seed bank) seeds are going to be better than the clone only. the whole point of gelato “33” is that it was searched from at least 33 different seed plants. the odds of a seed pack plant being exceptional above a hunted plant just are not that good.