Should i try to run these seeds?

My first grow was a lebanese landrace that hermied due to a lighting accident and I had two plants that had seeds. One was red stemmed and was an amzing stone, the first time i smoked it i was sweatin from my forehead and couldnt move…or want to move. It wasnt panicy or paranoid, just hard hitting
Later smokes were not as disabling but still good. Last week I smoked some that had aged a year and it was enough to put me in nap mode it has a very smooth taste and is easy to smoke. It made great dry sift.
The green stem plant was a not a stone but energetic wake up weed, altnough weak.
Both plants a had seeds although i never saw nanners or male flowers? Of course it was my firstgrow…
Should i try to run these seeds? My thought was to run the green stem seeds and seek out the red pheno among those… Logic being that i would have a clue they were crossbred and had more genetic material?
Another option would be to grow them outside smoke some buds, evaluate and pollinte them with another unrelated line and see what we get?
Would you grow the “red stem” seeds, the “green stem seeds”, or neither? Or both?
If you grew them what would you pollinate with?
Morrocan? ? Taskenti? Or Thai? Columbian?
I have friend with modern strain pollens as well…blue dream, gsc, blueberry?
I would prefer to keep it landrace as much as possible… What would reduce the intersex issues?
If grown outside and no hermies occur then am i safe? Maybe try several pollens?
How do i make sure they dont pollenate my other plants if they hermies?

I would probably just grow females with them to be sure where the seeds came from? Would growing with a male nearby reduce hermies?

4 Likes

If you’re worried about hermies grow them outside nature has a way of keeping plants happy

If you get a Hermie plant the only way to prevent it from pollinating everything else is to remove it

Keeping a male around will not make the plants not hermie

If you are confident that you caused the Hermie from light leaks than hop back on the saddle if your not 100% sure it was you grow them outside

On the positive side if the seeds came from a Hermie there all female pop them girls outside let nature do her thing just water them it’s a great learning experience and plants bounce back outside much quicker than inside

6 Likes

I use the old push button timers and somehow abunch of the buttons got pushed in and i basically reset the whole lighting schedule mid flower. So it had lights goin on and off at a odd time.
It was a lebanese landrace raised indoors
Its not like im going to ever sell them.
Full disclosure

3 Likes

So run the green ones and watch for a red stem pheno?
Or just grab the saddle horn and run the reds?

3 Likes

If you had the lights doing that shit I would just run them again man and make sure your timer is set and forget perfect and just keep an eye out

There is someone on here doing work with Lebanese plants I believe I would search for Lebanese in the search bar and read through there whole grow but I’m sure the lights strobing off and on every hour is the culprit

@cogitech
@lefthandseeds
@DiggySoze

These guys all have Lebanese experience

4 Likes

I think i will run them outside with a few other females that i have back ups for…and might as well run the red lebs! Maybe before fall find some potent pollen for them?

1 Like

I always tell people kill their hermie seeds, extinction is natural. There’s plenty more seeds in the world that you shouldn’t stress turning an entire line into sprouted seed tea.

There’s nothing wrong with growing them for buds tho.

If you are ever dead set on keeping a line alive for breeding purposes after finding out a parent was a hermie it’s just a matter of numbers. Run as many seeds as possible, clone them, and torture test the clones to find the ones that don’t hermie. If you run enough seeds, any line can be cleaned up.

6 Likes

Thats right i can always run them until i find the best individual and clone the shit out of her and make my hash! Thats what i really want anyway…yeeehaaw

1 Like

I have a theory, untested, that pollinating a few early pistils may reduce herm likelihood. If it works at all it will be a percentage thing and not a switch.

Robert Clarke had the theory first but I am claiming it as my own!

From Clarke, Marijuana Botany

8 Likes

Yes ! I do remember reading (was about 1994) to take some pollen and apply to lower pistils,that are of no consequence ,to “fix” the female in said plant and stop any potential male flower development from starting
I am currently running more Skunk 91 s and are known for hermies, the female that I still have from last was started outdoors and has never shown/thrown any male flowers at all ! Without the use of pollen to fix
Peace

5 Likes

I wouldnt go deep into breeding them. Some would say dont run em cause the intersex issues will return.
Ill say just watch em good week 2-3 then keep eyes underneath the bud formations. Keep in mind theyll go both ways n dont hesitate to chop at first sign.
But i made an accidental cross i call ogkiller. It herms. 3-4 of 10 herm. But the ones that fly are fire. Just risky cause pollen can cost a crop quick. Id try the stronger pheno seeds first if you do. I still keep my ogkiller seeds. But any seed shows up unexpected gets trashed now. I hate when everything going good n them damn seeds pop out. My original hermie is why. I could try to breed out the intersex trait but how many gens and how much work n time n space will it take. The world may never know. Cause i aint doin it. But dont be scared of the seeds. Just be aware of where they came from.

4 Likes

Early isolated pollenation might stop the plant from feeling the need to self pollenate so might be onto something.

If so i would try to introduce the pollen early early. Before week 2-3 when the herm traits will want to take control of things theirself. Like hit the first pistils. Let the pollen set in isolated area for couple days. Keeping light schedule. Rinse good real good before returning to a room of females. I didnt rinse good enough. Got light seeding on surrounding plants.

3 Likes

Find that solid fem clone n pollenate that. Hopefully not all will herm. I have over 50% that stay straight female through flower to chop. Cloning one of them ( that doesnt go both ways on you ) and hitting it with pollen might be a better start.

3 Likes

Very interested,I have always “thought” (terrible of me) ,that it(herm expression) was a final play,to reproduce and it would be more towards the end of flower ( I don’t remember any reference material, although I did read 'marijuana botany ’ back in the late 90s and have only pondered since)
Another point I do think of ,is that anything I pollenate extremely early,seem to stop putting energy in bud production (am wondering if it is localized (only branch/bud hit?) And(if so) does pollenating buds in direct relation to the apical make a difference in the overall bud/resin production?
I can’t seem to isolate my males properly, and after two/three upsetting and failed attempts for a simple bean run,I feel I have no choice but to keep the male in the flower room,let nature take its course,hehe(Dank Sinatra f2 male)
Peace and respect!

2 Likes

True. They definately shift towards nuturing seeds once pollenated. I notice slight potency drop but not really much in stuff that gets pollenated. But in the case of making seed on purpose i dont really worry about that individual plants production past healthy seed.
itll base off what she was capable of before being pollenated in the genes department. I dont think it will play any part in decreasing potency in the offspring. They are going to be a matchup of each parents potential.
Im still learning too
Probably been playing in dirt 5-6 yrs now n doing test runs on my first serious breeding now.

2 Likes

Grab the horns. I’ve had excellent stable plants from herm I have one at the moment for the last eight years she has never gave me any issues and no seeds :+1:

1 Like

I cant tell a huge differences in the potency of seeded…im gonna run some of the green stem seeds and watch
I want a red pheno that doesnt hermie and has great potency
Im running them outside. If i pollenate it will be from an unrelated strains
I have tashkent pollen and some thai.
Its not like im going to sell these

1 Like

Yeah it sounds like you are going for some delicious flavors also
I read some time back that,I believe @lefthandseeds has a tent with a light leak ,to ‘sus’ out the ones that will herm,if any make it thru without,you may be pretty safe,just a thought
Peace

2 Likes