Show your animal

You clearly know your dogs @Muleskinner tips hat

1 Like

You guys are making me want another shepherd. I’ve had my eye on this Malinois for a while now. I want one of his pups, but they are always reserved.

4 Likes

Some dogs are better human trainers than others.

4 Likes

…or same humans are best pupils than others…

2 Likes

Throw back haha but that’s a beautiful dog

2 Likes

Those Malinois look cool! with popular breeders you have to get on the list before they actually breed the dogs. You can always check around for German Shepherd rescue but usually there aren’t available.

I like this video from Doreen, she is an amazing trainer, last time I checked she was president of the Maine Schutzhund society (German ring sport for shepherds). this is what her dogs can do by only 6 months old!

you can waste hours watching these! I love GSD’s…:smile:

look at this little guy training - only 3 months old!

6 Likes

@Muleskinner, @Herbie, @anon58740919, n everybody that knows bout dog trainin n etology:
Yako is showin behaivor problems. Like my English is only enought to be understanded by the Gibraltar’s monkeys, I write in my tongue n will translate it next…

1 Like

Conforme Yako se ha ido vinculando cada día más y más a mi (hasta acudir a mi llamada yendo suelto por el monte), ha aparecido el siguiente comportamiento: al volver de nuestros largos paseos (Yako llega agotado) y darse cuenta de que yo me voy a ir y el se va a quedar en su cercado (un trozo de olivar de unos 50 x 30 m), se pone más y más nervioso, intentando retenerme con los dientes por los brazos, dando mordiscos cada vez más fuertes…

As Yako has been linked more and more to me every day (until I came to my call by going loose in the mountains), the following behavior has appeared: after returning from our long walks (Yako arrives exhausted) and realizing that I am I’m going to go and he’s going to stay in his enclosure (a piece of olive tree about 50 x 30 m), he gets more and more nervous, trying to hold me with his teeth by his arms, giving more n more stronger bites …

…tanto sentándolo o tumbandolo y acariciándolo, freno el comportamiento, pero en cuanto Yako ve que me voy de nuevo, el retorna a intentar retenerme con mordiscos…
Las correcciones orales/gestuales o de correa (no lo he llegado a levantar de sus patas delanteras, que es lo máximo que castigaría un mal comportamiento con correa: solo tirones )sin embargo, no funcionan o incluso empeoran su nerviosismo…

… so much sitting or puttin him liyin down on ground and caressing it, I brake the behavior, but as soon as Yako sees that I go again, he returns to try to hold me with bites … The oral / gestures corrections or of strap (I have not got to lift of its front legs, which is the maximum that would punish bad behavior with a leash: only pulls) however, they do not work or even worsen their nervousness …

No es un perro alfa dominante. Un beta seguramente. Antes de ese momento de la separación, puedo hacer con el perro lo que quiera y el parece haberse vinculado muchísimo a mi en tampoco tiempo, hasta el punto de preferir mis caricias aprobatorias a un premio alimenticio…

It is not a dominant alpha dog. A beta surely. Before that moment of separation, I can do whatever I want with the dog and he seems to have linked a lot to me in no time, to the point of preferring my approving caresses to a food prize …

Si tiene muchísimo instinto de presa (prey drive), instinto que lógicamente por lo anteriormente contado, no estoy trabajando: solo juego con Yako con pelota; pero la única vez que le propuse una “guerra de mordedores” (tug war) se empleo con fuerza y a fondo…
Sin embargo, recupero los objetos de su boca (estoy enseñándole el “auss”) con bastante facilidad…

Yes, he have a lot of prey drive (prey drive), instinct that logically from the above, I’m not working: just play with Yako with a ball; but the only time I proposed a “tug war” to him, Yako was used hard and thoroughly … However, I recover the objects from his mouth (I’m teaching him the “auss”) quite easily …

1 Like

Not my animals today but some that I seen on our walk. 27c in Manchester today.

6 Likes

She is a young “Doga Argentina”. She is very sweet n " cariñosa". People use Dogos Argentinos, as well as “Alanos Españoles”, here to hunt deers n big “wild pigs”…

1 Like

It sounds like classic separation anxiety - his past owner must have locked him in a cage too much. I don’t know much about this problem. I would try the best food treats you can find, maybe beef jerky. Or a bone that takes some time to chew up.

Maybe if you leave him good treats every time you lock him up he will start to think positive thoughts about being inside the enclosure?

5 Likes

Yeah, remember my firsts impresions:

3 Likes

I second the separation anxiety. It’s not an easy thing to break either unfortunately as dogs don’t really have a perception of time like we do. And it’s much more common in dogs that are kept predominantly solitary. Would you consider a second dog or is this not an option? If he’s not dominant or dog aggressive that is bro

2 Likes

Dosent work: imagine that I even have try with a real black pig jam bone, with a lot of jam on it still… If he see that Im goin to going outside, he fotguet any food n run to me…
Of course, I can “engañar” him n trow away the bone n go then outside while he runs to the bone in other direction… But I want that he will be able of see me going while he is in calm n relaxed n fine…

2 Likes

1 Like

He have been with my Spanish Mastín “Tigre” without problems but…

@anon58740919, “Tigre” vive en su propio cercado junto a la casa. Pero es un cercado bajo que Yako saltaría hacia la explanada de la casa cuando viera que nos metemos dentro de la casa (ya hize la prueba de día y así paso). Y el grave problema es que esa explanada la protege de noche my Mastín del Caucaso aka Ochakra, “Taliban”, que mataría a Yako en minutos…

@anon58740919, “Tigre” lives in his own enclosure next to the house. But it is a low fence that Yako would jump towards the esplanade of the house when he saw that we got inside the house (I already did the test during the day and that’s how it happened). And the serious problem is that that esplanade protects her at night my Caucasus Mastiff aka Ochakra, " Talibán ", which would kill Yako in minutes …

1 Like