Sick Plants Mistakes that open my eyes!

Soooo… I seem to pick up a new problem with every grow that i begin… in ways i’m thankful for the mistakes and learning, ( i’m a cup half full type of guy )

I was told between PH 5.8-6.0 from seedinling to veg is good!
I was also told PH 6.0-6.2 is a sweet spot in flower.

Whilst Ive had some successful grows in my profile I have also encountered lots of issues and i’m happy to admit that seedling to veg stage is a bit of a weak point for me at the moment but i’m remaining positive and I will get them happy again!!

So take a look at my latest pictures of these girls below… I can definitiely tell theres a possible element of Nitrogen Toxicity or PH problems going on here… so I took the PH of run off and it was around 5.6-5.7

Im not happy with this it should be about 6.0 6.1 I reckon at the stage they are at now which is near flip time in a couple weeks!!

Should I flush the sick plants with Ph’d 6.0-6.2 plain water with rhiztonic ? and let them find themselves again?

What do you all think… some of the plants look ok and the only plant that didn’t mind my mistakes so far is the 1 x SHAMAN from dutch passion… < seems to be a forgiving strain…

the other 5 plants are Gorilla Zkittles…

Thanks in advance for any help!! Budmeister.

4 Likes

What are you growing in and how often/much are you watering? Also how confident are you in your PH meter? Pen recently calibrated to factory specs?I’ve had problems with dodgy meter reading messing me up.

Also what are you using for feeding the plants? All these factors affect what PH you are aiming for.

2 Likes

Coco-Coir and perlite only…

I have a blue lab very confident in it!! got a lovely flowering space at the moment on my other topic…
I made the solution at 6.0 and when it ranoff it was about 5.6 which is not good!! I water when light and i see dry spots appear on top!

1 Like

When I ran Coco anywhere between 5.5 and 6.2 was good. If you’re confident in your pen then 6.0 going in annd 5.6 coming out shouldn’t be a problem. Also really hard to overwater with a coco/perlite mix??? Maybe look at nute ratio or PPM of nute mix?

Was the coco prebuffered or did you buffer? Could be locking up cal mag if it’s not buffered?

1 Like

EC 1.2 at the moment water is hard and 0.5-0.6

maybe im throwing too much stuff in the mix

Silicon, Canazym, AB, Rhiztonic etc etc

heres my flowering space baffled why i cant nail veg!!

7 Likes

1.2 EC should be fine, I know dudes who run higher. I always go back to basics if it’s nothing obvious. What’s the temp and humidity? What’s the PPFD at canopy? What’s the DLI?

1 Like

Im in the same boat as you my friend. Once i have a nice developed rootball everything seems to be smooth sailing for me for the most part.

I am constantly screwing up in veg and having plants droop, yellowing of new growth, developed ugly black and brown patches on the fan leaves, stunted growth etc.

I just wanna keep a plant happy thru veg and i cant do it to save my life lol

3 Likes

Exactly the same… when they go up to flower space beter light and oxygen they love it!! and just thrive… maybe is actually something else then as the guys above have mentioned as my veg tent is enclosed and doesnt have as much airflow or anything

1 Like

temp 20c - 24c
humidity 60%

something has done it and it bothers me all the time in veg… Il figure it out!

1 Like

It could be something as simple as watering every 1-2 days and not every 3-4 days… the beauty of growing… keeps my head tingling!!

1 Like

Those temp and humidity numbers look fine as well.

When I ran coco I watered everyday and depending on the plant/pot size sometimes several times a day. They dry out quick in coco/perlite.

2 Likes

thanks yeah i think im going to tend to them a bit more,

I reckon a good plan of action will be a light feed mix made up 50L or something a nice stable mix and water very well and check run off every time etc etc hopefully then before flower time they will be bushy tailed and ready to go…

Im going to subtract the silicon for now too on my next 50L and give them a light feed.

Thanks for your help man

1 Like

No worries man. If you just keep at it, you can always fix it.

Plants like silica as a foliage spray in veg so maybe try that for a minute to chill you nutes down. Good luck mate :grin:

Yea my veg tent has the flaps closed and an inline sucking the tent walls in. No fresh air. I hear some people pipe in fresh outside air but i dont have access to do that

well first doesn’t look like a N toxcicty more the plants not being able to take up enough or what they want.

An EC of 1.2 with 0.5 of that coming from your water source ? to me sounds quite under feed, also all the tonics and additions just stick with your base nutes.

as for pH for coco 5.6-6.2 is a good range dont get stuck on thinking it has to stay at 6.0 or whatever as it will range depending on the nutrients you give it and what the plant requires and the more you try to flush to correct things the worse the plant will get just as they are trying to get there own root zone into a range that they like while your constantly trying to correct something that may no be an issue

7 Likes

Thanks for the input mate, appreciate it, ok I will keep going with what im doing… lets see if a more frequent water to run off helps, i think upping the ph a bit might help perhaps?

but as you said they havnt fully laid down the root system yet im sure when i get them in the very nice flower are where they get constant air flow form outside good lighting and all round better access they should perk up il delay flipping a week until im satisfied with all canopies…

Thanks il stick to AB roots PK going into flower

Thats exactly what i thought? it screams nitrogen toxicity even when the plants were young they went a real dark blue on the tips and clawed… isnt that nitrogen toxicity? anyhow… Im sure i will fix it!!

1 Like

Sounds to me like you are waiting too long to water in coco. Increasing your irrigation frequency would likely help. As the media dries back, the EC will rise so that could be your source of toxicity/deficiency. It’s virtually impossible to over water coco.

6 Likes

Are the root temps same ? Maybe cold roots … those are big-ish pots for plant size

1 Like