Slow dry or wet cure?

I will be away for 2+ weeks and had to take down a plant or two before I leave. Now I have two options

• Hang it in the tent and slowly extract humidity. I can monitor humidity and control the fan from abroad or program it to extract at a certain level of humidity
  • Put it in a jar wet as it is and seal it for a wet cure somewhat Malawi cob-ish

With the first option I fear it might be way too dry in the end and loose flavour, the second might give me a mold.

What worked for you?

10 Likes

Maybe cut them down into paper bags or into totes with the lid off so it can slow dry a little better

Sometimes I only dry for a couple of days then put them into paper bags or totes

13 Likes

that sounds better to me

11 Likes

Drop it off at my house. Ill look after it . . .

22 Likes

Both options suck 1 u get over dry weed 2 weeks is along time especially in the dry winterish temps.
The other is 100% failure u cannot seal fresh weed and leave it . The cob guys inspect theirs daily .

But I’m here to make your day with a little known 3rd option .

Dude do the freezer cure and u can thank me later . I
cmag has the info but basically put your buds in a box in the freezer and wait a month or 2 … im telling you 100% it works amazibg flavour in some weeds . I’ve done it many many times . If u want you can always take out after 2 weeks and then dry it .

21 Likes

It can stink up frozen food tho . And you need a freezer of course

5 Likes

There you go… 4 options to choose from.
OG is such a wonderful place
:upside_down_face:

12 Likes

You dont have a freezer dedicated to trim and edibles? Who are they even letting in here these day?

(Just had to order a tent for drying to use a carbon filter because my partner was yelling at me about the smell, dont know what would happen if flavor was also tainted.)

7 Likes

If you can keep the humidity from going below a certain point (60% ish) you should be able to hang it until you get back without it over drying if the entire plant is hanging. I was really surprised to find some of my plants from last grow were still sticky after hanging for 10-11 weeks in 60% relative humidity.

12 Likes

Let it hang dry. If you can get conditions right. You got nothing to worry about. I let my plants hang until they Are dry. No burp.

5 Likes

How you dry buds in your freezer sounds interesting

2 Likes

Oh ya your room mate would lose it . Anything that isn’t super sealed in freezer and fridge tastes like weed . Even frozen butter

Its sublimation I believe. the water vapor comes off the frozen flower Iery slowly. don’t do my whole harvests but I like to tinker . Every one should try it once. You lose little terpenes its just a different bud.

4 Likes

Take it with you!

Saintly Spouse and I had non-refundable camping reservations on a recent RV trip that collided with an over due harvest. I ended up bringing half a dozen jars of very stinky Bruce Banner along for the ride.

We ended up in a campsite upwind of 200 boy scouts having their annual Jamboree. I burped the jars several times a day and only had one comment, when we were leaving our neighbor said he was sorry to see us go because our RV smelled so nice!

Perhaps this isn’t an option, but thought I’d share… :rofl:

8 Likes

Your only option is hang the whole plants . A humidifier would be nice set to 60. Just in case house heater drys the air too much . Or toss a few soil pots in there for humidity

2 Likes

I have the humidor dedicated to pollen and buds… You’re telling me I gotta plug in that old chest freezer again? (I am tempted to try out drying / curing in there, I just question the seal as I do get lots of frost in that freezer)

1 Like

I think 55% or 52% is the magic number where curing stops. 60% is the golden number for long cures from everything I have read.

10-11 weeks of hang time is impressively long… What were the scents like at that time?

4 Likes

I would have assumed it’d be brown dust by then.

I had 4 strains going. They were hanging in a basement and after the first while it surprisingly didn’t make my entire house stink. Maybe that’s a good thing since when I’m smelling it it’s evaporating. When I squeezed or touched a nug though it would smell strongly.

I had 4 strains from the last grow. Sanfune f2 were either on the pineapple or berry side with one in between. The snow throwers were weird grape candy/lemon/fuel. These were the strongest smelling out of all. I’m still smoking some. Lemon chiesel super hard to explain smell. Lemon lotus a weird 5 alive with a touch of chemical lime or something.

The plants that remained hanging that long were actually all my sgraggly/airy buds and plants too. The reason they stayed so long is because at the time they weren’t worth the effort of trimming since it’d take forever for a small amount. I trimmed the rest of the stuff after 2-4 weeks.

3 Likes

60% RH is the ‘magic spot’ for me, it can hang for a couple weeks and will be just fine. I like the temperature to be cool as well (60F/15C).

Cheers
G

16 Likes

Dry it as fast as you under 80f ideally without direct wind in dark.
When it’s dry enough to break off the larf with fingers easily trim it and put it in a jar with boveda 62 and let it rehydrate and cure.

If you want nasty weed dry as slow as possible or wet cure in a jar.
This makes sure you remove all the sweet taste and give more time for oxygen and water to decay and degrade your weed to get that nice mexican musk.

2 Likes

This Is A Fact - All Goodness comes to those who wait, or can’t afford a freeze drier

6 Likes