So who here makes their own vape cartridges?

Hey there. Just making a vape cart and thought I would share. I got some programable vapes that I use and make vape carts out of wax, shatter or rosin. Today we are using a gram of Maui Waui rosin and some Wax Liquidizer. Any of you make your own carts and if so how do you do it? I know, dirty finger in that one shot but I just broke up some hash :slight_smile:

40 Likes

Hey @Chronickyle and @CADMAN , this might interest you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That easy huh :smirk:

Thanks for sharing & you make it look incredibly Easy…

When you exhale it doesn’t hurt your lungs or throat? I tyed dabs once and wow did that hurt to exhale lol

Any idea If this must be vaped at low temps?

I have several vapes, Atomizers and build my own coils and use RDAs . But all them are 50+ watts of power. Your vape is likely 10 watts or less.

6 Likes

that type of cart use 5watts.

1 Like

i use a heated stir plate to combine rosin with VG and PG. but my noob ass used too much VG so my carts are highly diluted.

3 Likes

You make it look easy, I’ve never heard of wax liquidizer until now.
So you just mix it 1 gram rosin to one gram WL?

2 Likes

I just heat and fill with a 14g syringe, only done it with d8 distillate though. It’s kind of a pain in the ass. I use the sprk ceramic cartridges. They’re pretty good and only like $3/ea

1 Like

Liquidizers like that use PG and or glycerin, and dilute the shatter a lot. But they work and are easy to use. I use a terpene kit and uses a lot less of it, plus has the terp profile of what ever strain I choose. Only thing is it needs to be used with product that has been winterized and the wax removed. If I make my own qwiso or buy shatter, to winterize it I’ll dissolve it in some ethanol/grain alcohol. Then stick it in the freezer for at least two days to let the wax precipitate/congeal. Layer two coffee filters together and filter the solution. Dry, scrape together, and mix with terps. But much easier to get some pure distillate and add a few drops of terps and fill a cart.

10 Likes

1 gram or rosin/shatter or wax mixed with approx 2ml of liquidizer

5 Likes

where did you get your terpene kit from @Seamonkey84 and are their certain terps you prefer to mix with?

Thanks for the tip on winterization i deffinetly would have skipped that step when i make shatter, i have no rosin press and an to cheap to buy distillate so shatter it is!

1 Like

Yea winterizing it helps prevents crystallization/separation and keeps the cart from getting clogged too fast. If you use ethanol to do the extraction to begin with, then you can save time but it’s more expensive than iso for the extraction. You’ll want to dissolve the shatter in a decent amount of ethanol, I’ve been reading 10:1. Also, I chilled it for 48hrs but I just read one article that said 14hrs.
Anyway, I’ve used east coast terpenes, a head shop here sells their kits and vials of different profiles. A little goes a long way, it’s lots of trial and error since it depends on the consistency of your starting material. But it’s as little as a couple drops into distillate, or 50% by weight for some hard shatter. Still a lot less than a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of PG/glycerin to shatter.

Oh, until you get an idea how much is needed, I recommend mixing it then letting it cool to check consistency. Then if it’s fluid enough, warm back up gently so you can fill the cart.
All that said, it’s been a while since I use any carts at all. I should prob make my next batch of qwiso with all the trim and undesirable buds I’ve accumulated.

2 Likes

im about to start making bubble from all my outdoor trim, was thinking of just dissolving and filtering some into everclear and then doing the winterization process that you mentioned.

1 Like

Good idea! Yes, that would definitely turn out nice and use less alcohol. Oh, if using ethanol/grain alcohol to begin with, just keep everything frozen/cold during the whole process and you shouldn’t need to let it sit overnight. If the alcohol and hash are cold enough, the waxes won’t even dissolve. So freeze the alcohol and hash first, combine and do the soak right in the freezer, then do the filtering with a double coffee filter (in the freezer if possible). Butane and isopropyl are a stronger solvent, so the waxes get in during the soak.

2 Likes

i use a 25 micron bubble bag :wink: helps avoid loss to absorbtion, ive made tons of qwiso just never a cart, filtering in a freezer would be handy but here in Canada that’s just outside :joy::maple_leaf::snowflake:

Thanks for the tips @Seamonkey84

3 Likes

Not far off here for that either :sweat_smile::cold_face::snowflake: But I find it convenient to make extracts during summer since the alcohol evaporates on its own pretty fast :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Though I’m considering a small distillation set to recover the ethanol since it’s not cheap. I can get 151 proof locally (still works) but the stronger everclear isn’t allowed.

2 Likes

You are correct, this product has PG but dilution is up to the mixer. I love the product and it works well but have seen many use terpines to mix with varied results. I do like the ease of use of this liquidizer and it’s in Canada so easy to get so that’s a bonus.

1 Like

The nice thing about the liquidizers is they break up the waxes too, so you don’t need to have winterized product. I’ve even seen tips that say if your already mixed the terp but it separates or crystallizes, then add a drop or two of a liquidizer and mix it in.

1 Like

I have used a liquidizer product as well as terpenes before. I got scared away from them after the whole “vape crisis” a few years back where companies were adding vitamin E acetate to their products. I lost all trust in these companies after that.

I have since switched to using a vape specifically designed for wax. I mostly use the Huni Badger for this, but I also have a small Tesla Cigs Duo that I can load a few dabs in when stealth is required.

I also have a jar of VG tincture I made. I had the buds sitting in the VG for well over a year and it is a fabulous extraction. I decided to throw some in a vape cart for use with my Smok Novo. It tastes wonderful, is very smooth, and blows huge clouds. The only issue I have is in this process a lot of the THC and CBD has degraded to CBN. After vaping on it for a while it puts me right to sleep.

3 Likes

I was happy when I found this product in Canada and it says " *Does not contain nicotine, cannabis, VG, or vitamin E". The lack of VG and vitamin E was defiantly a selling point for me. It was that vape scare that got me looking as I used to just buy carts. May not be the perfect solution but I do like it. Usually use the unflavored but used Pineapple Express in the cart last night. My wife said something like “go full tropical with the Maui Waui rosin”. What the wife wants the wife gets. I must admit it’s not bad and makes a nice cloud. The carts I use also have a chip which is programmable so that’s a bonus.

4 Likes

Still prefer my Huni Badger though. No mixing, great taste, super efficient. It’s not cheap though.

6 Likes