Social distancing Ice hut build thread, post your shanty pics

Happy New Year OG…OK we all wanna see this lingering WuFlu shit dealt with, but in the meantime, Ontario continues to deem (quietly) hunting and fishing as essential pastimes. I have not been a fan of winter since my kids stopped toboganning a decade ago. I’m off work and enjoy summer fishing (marine tech) but have only recently tried ice fishing with my family. We will follow all health rules and stay within our region, but I’m looking forward to a big MANFORT to hotbox, isolate and fish in. This year I blew my Xmas gift cards on lumber to build a new hut. I have carpentry framing experience and a lot of other handyman skills blah blah. So this is gonna be a laugh, I way over plan, measure twice, (no 4 times) and cut once.LOL OCD draftsman type. I do not want to end up with a homer simpson home bbq look, but ultimately, I’m sure it’ll end up on a ‘nailed it’ youtube vid or some hall of shame.image So I’ll start a growroom build of sorts, hopefully seasoned veterans will add tips insults and pics on the thread. I have my base floor built already so I’ll get some pics and post up as I build a bit today. Anyone with ice fishing related pics or ice hut pics please post them here. Any tips of ‘what I did wrong with the build’ from experience are gleefully accepted. OK back with pics and description.

7 Likes

Proposed hut dimensions 8’x 6’8" with a 7’8" ceiling height down to 6’8" shed roof. I had 4 sheets of plywood so I went and blew 575 cdn on lumber hinges hardware etc. Covid pricing of faming lumber is obscene right now but oh fucking well. 2x2x8 is 5 bucks a piece with tax 2x10x10’ for the runners were 25 bucks each. 2x4s were pricey too. Anyhow, I decided on 2x10 for the floor base with some old rossignol downhill skis as the runners. We found them in someones garbage years ago, finally my junk collecting has paid a small return. They were easy to countersink screws into along the centerline of the skiis. only had to grind the tips of the 2 rear skis to fit into a pocket in the 2x10, so it laid flat. I’m looking for some 4x4 posts to put on my trailer, so I can get this thing to the lake later on.image

2 Likes

Hmmimage image image

2 Likes

I have pop up hub shelters, hardly ever use them lol. Though bringing friends and family out, then yea since they aren’t use to being out like I am :laughing:. Though with the social distancing guidelines, for myself or a friend, I’ll just be bringing out my two fold up personal shelters. I used one as a greenhouse this fall :joy:

Going to clam bake the hell out of them too!

I made one core with buds from the plants that finished early. Then I found out the rest of my plants that weren’t harvested yet all had bud rot😫

8 Likes

Ooooooo. I wanna see this Icey hut build…

1 Like

Are ya goin for Man castles :european_castle: or pop up and go in 5 mins flat?

download.jpeg

4 Likes

How you smoke bud outta a pizo? Or you smoking oil with it? Weird? These huts are cool! I want to build a greenhouse so I’m going to lurk and see what you guys build and steal the plans!:grin:

1 Like

You know what would be really cool?
Build a wood base with “pop up” tent style walls and roof… Combine luxury sleed and being portable… or something like
https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+base+pop+up+fishing+hut&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZxsW_kfvtAhUuh-AKHW_CBiUQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=627#imgrc=yFvsaPFz2fMNsM

1 Like

My Gosh… I wanna live in it.

7 Likes

I really like how people are repurposing all kinds of stuff to build with! I bought a ice cream scooper the other day that looks like red plastic but it’s bamboo fiber mixed with some kinda stuff that makes it rock hard. I was thinking we could all save stems and add the same stuff and have building supplies that will last a long time that will help save trees!

ice hut 2021002 ice hut 2021004 ice hut 2021005

ice hut 2021007

2 Likes

Lovin it… Gonna be awesome when its done.

1 Like

Somewhere in between I hope lol, def. no electricity except for some 12v goodies to come, deep cycle charging, propane conversion hose and bbq tank at the ready. Rods all re-lined, tackle inventory growing. minnow supply secured. Proposed launch date Jan. 12, 2021… wall construction start today, go as far as my screw supply runs out, then I’ll scrounge around for more lol Fishin buddy secured and reserved her Dad’s quad (his pickup too ha ha).

3 Likes

Pizo? What’s that lol. Purple rose canagar mold. Just replace the glue/honey with some rosin/shatter/distillate

1 Like

I have the same one. I gotta get better at wrapping it this tho.

@Cannasaurusrex. Love this thread!! Missouri born and raised, so zero experience with ice fishing!! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure!!

1 Like

Lol. Those are crazy!!

1 Like

They have come a long way from when we were kids! We just used our 5 gallon bucket to sit on out in the elements. The shanties were just that little huts that didn’t do much more than keep you out of the elements and cold but still they were nice!

1 Like

Lol, its a pipe vaping oils and such… now I see that it’s a tool for your contraption. Do those smoke good? Better than a j? Or does it just burn longer?

The ice castles that people build/buy are nuts lol. Some are just RVs that have been built for holes in the bottom. It’s like glamping on ice :joy:.
I’m out to fish, I’ll punch a few dozen holes the I jig and hole hop. the hub is only set up for groups (not really happening this year), and days that weather is too crap to jig outside. Oh, definitely used it every time we went night fishing for cusk too lol. The cold doesn’t bother me too much, other than the holes freezing up while I’m fishing it.