Social distancing Ice hut build thread, post your shanty pics

Suppose to burn for over an hour, I don’t know since I haven’t finished wrapping them curing it lol. Still need to make some quick wash from the trim and stems/shake I’ve saved. @CADMAN There’s a video that shows a method I’m going to use. Trim the leaves to the right length and glue them together first to make a square wrap just like a regular blunt wrap. Then use a piece of parchment to roll the whole thing like when using a dollar bill for a joint. I read somewhere to flatten the leaves with a rolling pin first. Using fresh leaves is easier, you’re suppose to let it cure for a while anyway. For the “glue” I’m going to use quick wash, just not sure if I’m going to use iso or ethanol for this batch. After it dries most of the way, use it as the glue. If you already have shatter tadd a few drops of ethanol and warm it up enough to get it to liquify and be workable, I don’t like the idea of just warming it up and trying to smear it all over before it cools. That or just find some terp sauce, distillate, or co2 extract that is already gooy enough to work with as glue.
Sorry for the high jack, but a good cigar/canagar will make a day out awesome lol

1 Like

Hell yea man. I pressed my leaves between some books for a day (razor thin) I need to heat up some flavorless THC distillent or go get some oil to use as the glue ,)

I really like the idea of using parchment paper to help roll this log into a perfect Cannagar. Then cure the heck outta it and enjoy for over an hours once lit.

1 Like

Since I tie flies as well, the wrapping with twine will be interesting lol. Might use my vice to hold the thing and wrap it like a hook lol. Even though the twine and skewer is removed before use, I can see myself wrapping. Some extra leaves or something to that stem to make it decorated lol.
I better get on making that oil… I just remembered I’m going to be taking cuttings off my plants and culling males this weekend, I’ll have plenty of fan leaves to work with.

2 Likes

We will still use the buckets when it’s nice out, I don’t have a sled to sit on lol. Just finished framing sidewalls before my daughter and Grandson came over, pics tomorrow

2 Likes

this dude asking bout the pizzo… wow son… vaping oils and such huh??? Im on to you tweaker,

1 Like

Sit on a bucket? I don’t have time to lug one of those around with me from hole to hole, already for my hands full with my sonar, rods, and ice scoop… most of those can fit in a tall bucket… either way, I’m use to standing or kneeling down on the ice or snow lol.

Progress so far…ice hut 2021020 ice hut 2021022 Other wall, doors, hinges, sheeting and roof to go. Floor is 1/2 ply on 2x4 framed floor with 2x10 outside floor joist/ski sides. Walls are 2x2 framed and sheete with 1/4" mahogany ply (underlay), roof will be 2 sheets of 1/2 ply covered with …any suggestions…vapour barrier? shink wrap? roll roofing? paint? anyone? I just don’t want shingles on my roof or my body lol.

3 Likes

also open to suggestions for graphics, gonna try to paint the og symbol over the doors. was thinking big bio-hazard symbol, don’t wanna big ole pot leaf though, cottagers are whiney. i don’t have a lot of cash for paint, and white just don’t workout well for snowmobilers…

1 Like

Who needs to catch fish anyway? Fresh air, max. 5 friends/family and nice big bunch of doobs. Livin’ the dream! Fish are a bonus, and maybe the cold will make my gooey bubble hash manageable LOL

3 Likes

I used to work in roofing. Some ice and water shield would do the trick, roll roofing. Fuckin scrap tin what i would use, paint it with a logo or your team or ranch, or a huge gotdamn weed leaf. Attract like minded individuals.Lol sorry i re-read. That is exactlt what you DIDNT want ha! OG sounds cool. You are an OG right? Grandkids and all!

Can’t find any tin sheeting here so went with mahogany. LOL yeah I’ just gonna have a small OG leaf on the door, If I had money to waste on paint, I’d let my daughter go wild and do an albumcover painting or paint it to look like it has burnt down already, Something to make people laugh or go ‘hey cool’. We’ll see! Walls done, need doors sheeting and roof, but I’m laid up with a nasty cold for a cpl days. Last one to get it always morphs into nasty shit with me. Lotsa juice lotsa on-line ‘resting’. LOL I just did y roof last year and had some adhesive ice shield, searched everywhere, realized I gave it to my son-in-law in the summer…Good idea THNX.

1 Like

Gonna get out on a small lake tomorrow, The big lake where the hut is going is still open water. It will probably freeze tonight at -16 C but we won’t be getting the hut out for another week or two. Hut is all built except for some finishing touches , will post tomorrow with progress

Haven’t seen snow since I moved to California from Ireland 20 years ago

There are ski areas in California isn’t there?

Post up a mostly completed hut later, but our premier just issued a stay at home order, so looking to see if ice fishing is legal or not. Al evidence points to legal, but intepretted as possibly selfish…hmmm may have to wait for water to get harder anyway…

1 Like

Most folks are thinking its ok if you stay in your health unit area.

Sounds like its up to the cop or bylaw officer to make the decision on ticketing you or not.

Sucks cuz we are lucky to get 2 wks of good ice here in Lambton. Usually do a few trips per winter north.

Sucks too I have an ice rink and we’ve skated about 5 times now but its gonna melt today. Weaksauce
Sigh…

Well, there is no law prohibiting outdoor recreation (exercise) within your health unit district as provincial parks remain open this time etc. Ethically stay inside, I guess, but if you do go out, stay in your area and follow all social distancing group size rules… The cold comes this weekend Your rink will be A one on Sunday morning.

1 Like

Last evening before lockdown, although fishing/exercise is OK in your own area.

2 Likes

Still waiting for good ice for the hut to go out. In the meantime we have been exercising in our area on the ice… Just walking out in the snow is a chore lol. Love going fishing with my daughters, here’s a Lake Trout my lab partner pulled out on the ice, yesterday. Chilly and beautiful day, glad to isolate with my fam outdoors.

2 Likes

ice hut 2021 fish35 ice hut 2021 fish33 Hut not out still (thin ice on targetted lake still) but we are sttill getting out on the lakes, trying to find fish that bite lol. Here’s a shanty pic and one from last weekend up near Algonquin park, Just walk to from the parking area no fancy snowobile (yet).

2 Likes