Some type of shock?

Hi all I’m new to this forum and have grown on and off the years indoors in soil. At the moment i Have 3 plants going all 3 are autos. The one plant is fine in its own pot. I have planted the other 2 together. Now at about the 2nd week of plant life the plants growth slowed down and i decided to transplant them into coco. Now when i transplanted them i broke loose the soil from the rootball and rinsed the remaining soil away. ITs been about 4 or 5 days and i still don’t see any growth. Now the plants still look nice and green and yellowing a little bit from the very first set of leaves but otherwise look fine. MY question is do you think the plant is dieing on me? Or maybe just a few days to adjust to the transition?

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, I am not an expert bur they may be stressed from the transplant (normally it is from coco to soil). If yellowness continues to climb to the upper leaves that might be a root problem. Have you feeded them? Con you post some pics? Cheers … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Here they are. Yes i have been doing a light feeding, the first few days and now i just up’d the feed. I started with 200ppm to now 400ppm ph is 5.8. Im uncertain if the growth has completely stopped or if she is growing just very slowly. I dont have before pictures but in my head i feel like she is slowly growing, again that may just be in my head :neutral_face: btw thank you for the warm welcoming! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the pic. At first sight, I remember a jazz standard entitled “Too close for comfort” :wink:, they are going to fight each other pretty soon. Maybe they need more room and to be separated. I’ve got the lesson fresh :innocent: as recently I’ve transplanted too, but first read Grow FAQ Basic Topics Transplanting Soil to soil, You can have a look and take your own conclusions, cheers … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

How long since you transplanted them .? They are probably settling down and setting some roots too, they look fine ( & just started throwing some pistils…)?!
You’re gonna have to separate them soon but id wait a week or 10 days for the roots to establish themselves. ( just my opinion bud.)

Yep :+1:, your plants are probably just settling.
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz
Ps. Edit ; @Esrgood4u i think they are both auto’s mate, so if he sticks one in another pot asap - at least the one he leaves in the pot should continue to stretch and do well…
Good luck whatever you do @seedlingstarter.

6 Likes

Separate each into a single pot and LITFA like @Gaz29 has suggested. They will bounce back.
You didn’t mention if these are photoperiod or auto flowers??

6 Likes

He did, they are autos. :wink:

4 Likes

Hey Gaz im not sure if i can separate them? The roots are massive someone will definitely be hurt in the process. When i rinsed the soil away i would have separated them but the roots were already long an thick an intertwined. I transplanted from solo cups into a 1 gallon container. Once they do start to recover ill just kill the weakest link.

1 Like

I was gonna have a go at making some seeds for the first time so this is also why i never really separated. Planned on keeping them small the whole life. The other plant i have in its own pot is the fem male well not yet but she will be a he very soon. Just waiting for her to throw some pistils.

2 Likes

Ya they’re probably still just recovering from transplant. I bet they’re focusing most energy on making new roots atm. If you can’t separate them they should do ok in there, the crowding will just make them smaller.

1 Like

The crowding is fine with me i was just wondering if they were ok or if i should just pull em. They looked healthy to me but its only been 4 days i transplanted them Sunday evening.

They look good, I’d let them go. If the yellowing on the lower leaves is your concern, that’s normal. It can be a sign of problems but I don’t think so here. You don’t have any deficiencies I can see but be careful on upping the feeding any more, tips are starting to burn on newer growth.

3 Likes

Thanks yea i noticed that since i upped the feed which i fed her yesterday for the frist time with the new feed she still looks great no further burn or signs of it worsening.

2 Likes

Live on the edge just a serrated knife and saw them down the middle as long as you miss the main tap root they will be fine?

3 Likes

Lol i dont know never heard of trying that. Have you tried this before? I mean i dint mund them being small thats why i didnt bother separating when they were smaller. But i’d make a clone from a photo just to test out the sawing method :grin: :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

What @ShiskaberrySavior says it’s a good solution, it can even help to create root growth, as explained in the FAQ:

Original idea by: Flowerman

This technique is is called “slicing”

“I just take a 8inch blade with serrated edges, start at the top, about to 1 inch from the sides(depending on what stage they are in), and cut all the way down, cutting the roots, and I do all 4 sides this way, and sometimes the bottom. I know it sounds severe, and when I first started doing it, I would cringe at doing it, but I have been doing it this way everytime I transplant for the last few years, unless I’m using the pot within the pot method.
They have a little shock, but it only last for a day at the most, and then they just seem to just grow vigorously. Never had a problem with it.
It seems to promote new root growth on the sides growing lengthwise, and slows down the classic swirling that you usually get, which causes that classic rootbound problem.”

3 Likes

Even for autos this is ok? I know photos can withstand a lot more stress, as autos i know you should try not to stress as much

2 Likes

They’re looking healthy, if you’re going to do it is better now that they are young and have not many roots. They will have plenty of time to recover with no more hassel. If you do it later, they will be stressed again … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pull them out. Autos usually start taking off around week 3 or 4. Usually it’s best not to stress them, so I would just leave them be. Probably yellowing from medium change, but they look good otherwise. LITFA and watch them, imho

3 Likes

2 autos in that small container you’ll be lucky to get a oz total , it’s now or never to separate and repot

3 Likes