Specifics of growing a haze - flowering, training

Good day folks,

Looking for some advice that is haze-specific (Dr. Atomic’s Atomic Haze, but i hear it is a “typical haze”); i have never grown one of these stretchy things before. Also plans changed a bit and I ended up with more plants than I was looking for.

I have 9x plants in 3-gal coco fabric pots in a 53"x 53" tent
The plants are about 12-14" tall now, topped 2x and exhibiting decent lateral branching
I have, from the top of the pot, to the bottom of the air cooled hood, at most 43" of space. I can probably increase that to 51" if I lowered the flood tray, but hoping not to, work height is pretty convenient this way
I can burn a 1K HPS in there no problem and keep temps in check. My HVAC kung-fu is strong. Currently they are under a 600MH

Here they are today:

The grow log is here:

How tall much longer would you grow them before flipping? I am ready for a 10-12 week flower, but not sure how much branching vs stretching these are going to do in the first half of flower?

Would you SCROG? If so, would you veg until there is enough matter to fill the canopy, then break and set, or keep tucking as they go through flowering stretch?

I’m tempted to let them go a little longer, but somewhat concerned with having a jungle in there. I guess i can always cut them back savagely…

Experiences? Thoughts? Ideas?

9 Likes

honestly I’d flip them soon and yea… scrog would be a good method of keeping them managable… they’re gonna get dumb tall… like if they’re a over a foot now expect them to hit almost 4’ by the end without training…

looking super healthy though

4 Likes

thanks @toastyjakes – that much? crazy. I’m used to twice the height going in, so this is definitely different. OK, will scrog for sure then. They were transplanted out of infected DWC a few days ago, and are looking way better, I was going to give them another few days to establish their new root systems - should I bother or let them do their thing as they flip?

2 Likes

if you wanna give them a couple days to be safe then go ahead, you’ll be fine

I know that my first encounter with sativa heavy plants was beyond what I’ve seen in growth… from 16" at flip to 52" when I chopped… sometimes they get psychotic haha

4 Likes

I am with Toasty, you should err on the side of caution and flip them asap. Have they shown sex yet?

3 Likes

Oh yeah their mother plants were showing and these have had pistils since day 1. I would say they are mature.

Ok will get ready and flip shortly

3 Likes

Yeah Haze get’s tall and is hard to controll LOL

I am about to flower some C5 x Mango haze, in planing 12/12 from clone, in hope to be able to controll the height.
Will be interresting to follow your haze grow, a little a head of mine

2 Likes

Hi @HappyHemper
You may find this discussion of Haze and Haze Hybrids to be helpful.

1 Like

Ugh. Still not flipped. Need to move the seedlings out to another space that has 18/6. Haven’t gotten my shit together to do that yet. They may end up big…

1 Like

As long as you have fewer than four branches per square foot of canopy space you should be fine. If they get too tall you can flop, top, pinch or fim em to fit your plans. Just make sure to be done before the end of the stretch period, preferably before day 2 of flower

1 Like

Good to know @Worcestershire_Farms; just one clarification – did you mean “week 2” of flower? I think i’m getting to that limit already; my topping and training has made many tops. OK, on Monday I flip, i promise.

1 Like

Well with a true haze, the stretch has a good chance of lasting 3-4 weeks. Sativas tend to react differently than Indicas when stressed at the beginning of flower, and until you’ve tested a technique on them it’s hard to know what will happen.

I just liquified a male Zamaldelica today that started throwing hairs when I topped him three weeks into flower. I’ve seen females throw balls when stressed, but a male throwing hairs?

2 Likes

Odd indeed… I have never grown this haze before, nor any haze for that matter, so the super-stretchies are new to me.
The moms i took these cuts off look almost exactly like hedging cedars - super tall with short little side branches that turn almost vertical immediately

1 Like

ooh, dude, off topic but we took down thirty 30-foot black cedars this spring that smelled like mint/blueberries. I can’t imagine the essential oils yield we could have pulled with a pot still.

2 Likes

there have been a couple males that hermed female that I’ve heard of on here… one by @99PerCent was a beautiful little it…

1 Like

Nothing better than the smell of cedar, i agree! A close second is pine sap on a hot summer day.
Funny you mentioned the smell of that tree - the firewood we get at the cabin washes up on the lake, and vast majority of it is cedar that drifted off the log barge. This is what i had my nose buried in earlier today, mostly western red, some yellow and some loose spruce:

@toastyjakes
My understanding of plant hormone theory is stress blocks ethylene production and the plants revert to male by default. The idea that stress can force a male to hermie to female makes no sense in my mind.

Not to insinuate the stress isn’t the cause of the problem. It just doesn’t fit what I was taught.

2 Likes

I think it’s more to the true intersex trait… where it may start growing one way and still grow the other as well…

i had a blue dream auto recently that have gave me balls with pistils coming from them…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Bahahaha I forgot that song existed

EDIT: also forgot how cavernous his mouth is…

1 Like