Spraying sts on clone only strains

One of my favorite clone only strains was Matanuska Thunder Fuck…People say that Alaskan Thunder Fuck is the same as Matanuska Thunder Fuck guess what folks it’s not…I also had Blue Dream when it was clone only, how did they make seeds outa Blue Dream?

5 Likes

If you s1 it you will open up the genepool of phenos. If you reverse clone only and hit another clone only of a different strain thats different. A lot of fire comes from playing fire with fire. Reversing the known fem clone and hitting another known female with its pollen

4 Likes

yeah blue dream is clone only and was for some time, i remember it way back. then one day i woke up and every one was selling it. it was a west coast cut if i remember right, but thats been a bit.
and yep sometime clone only are where its at,
so say if i was making blue dream, i would run the cut, work it and show it love,
spray on a clone i liked with sts, get my female seed. run those and find the winner. now i have seed but not in regs so i ll take something else that i would think was in the blue dream recipe so to say, find my male and breed it out, now i have my regs, but then i will stabilize it into a blue dream and sell it, now you say this will take a long time to do years and years, , i say not unless your a huge breeder with a big budget and lots working for you, now you get that going with in a year and make your money world wide. huge breeders. shame shame.
but long story short, keeping the clone around for awhile will be one of the best ways to make seed

3 Likes

santa cruz cut blue dream is the one. Im sure its been s1d but know its been crossed to a lot of things. It is in blueberry hasplant its bd santa cruz cut x 88g13hp. Someone on here running some now.

3 Likes

I would love to try some of your s1 @PhilCuisine , I say go for it : )

3 Likes

I took all my clone only strains and bred them to other strains…I have my own personal crosses of my clone only strains…Hope this helps.

Homemade Strains Thread
Phototrons…SWC/TRON
General smoke report thread

6 Likes

I’m curious too.

I got a cut of Kosher Kush I’m in the middle of running with STS. My goal is to preserve this strain as I’ve been keeping a mother going for over a year and want a stable backup (also sharable).

I sprayed on the 1st day of flip, and have been spraying down every 5 days 1hour before lights off so the plants dry before I put them back into the tent. This was done a total of 5x and I have a tonne of :banana:'s on the sprayed plants so I know it worked.

How viable will the pollen be is Q#1, and then how close to the original plant with the S1 seeds be is Q#2.

Regardless, having seeds is still better than NOT having seeds.

5 Likes

I have yet to see anyone grow an S1 that was just like its parent. There are a few folks whos whole seed making business is reversing clone onlys and spreading the pollen around. With those folks I have noticed a huge amount of herm reports from people who grew them.
Reversing and selfing have their place . Their place just isn’t in my garden lol

6 Likes

I totally respect that and appreciate that you understand that not everything is for everyone.

For example I like my coffee black. Put sugar in it for ME and I’ll slap you; however I ask 20 questions when preparing your coffee to make sure you get what YOU wanted. :smiley:

6 Likes

I certainly get why people grow fems and also get why people want to grow clone onlys in seed form. I just don’t have the constraints to make me need to pop fems and have never seen or heard of someone finding something as good or better from S1’s.

4 Likes

Many of the older OG cuts are what was found in s1 of OG Kush/Ghost

1 Like

Very good point . I wonder if they were forced in the same way ? My dumbass may also be using S1 wrong lol I am referring to the forced selfings

Was it Tom Hill that grew some Bubba kush s1’s, found a plant better than the clone and scrapped the clone ? :laughing:

1 Like

OG Kush is known to throw nanners late in bloom, so some seeds were found here and there. But then back before reversing with silver was a common practice, intentionally stressing the plant to force the hermi trait to show was how they did it.

3 Likes

Exactly . That is also my understanding of how it happened back then. I personally feel that is different then what is being done now. IMHO it sure seems like a different result . There is more then enough of these sts reversed plants being grown now that if it wasn’t different we would be seeing tons of reports of killer plants being found. I personally only see reports of average to good and lots of intersex issues. Mind you that is limited to just a few forums. But I can’t help but think that these seeds having name recognition is more of what generates their sales (along with the space constraints to need fems ) and not the stellar results.

The concept of clone only never made any sense to me. Perhaps someone can explain it? As far as I know all clone only means is they found a specific pheno they liked and sold cuttings from it. Chances are if you made seeds from it you would not find that pheno. I remember BOG speaking in a potcast saying he searched for a long time to find another Sour Bubble mother that was the same pheno as the mother he had for over a decade with no luck. These clone only plants started as seeds, one would think a pheno hunt from that pile of seeds might find the one you are looking for again. Please correct me if I am wrong here, I would really like to understand.

1 Like

It all depends on the plant that is being reversed. Just like with breeding, Some have nice genetics even if you don’t find one that is close enough to the cut. But others have s1 that are all over the place and you have to find a gem.

4 Likes

That is basically it. Expect many were bag seeds or one off chucks, you don’t have the parents so you can’t reproduce the same generation to find those siblings. Outcrossing and selective breeding would be work.

3 Likes

Your thought process is right. I also feel the same . But the problem is that may be true or all of the incredible aspects of breeding might get in the way and you end up with a pile of trash because of how some genes interact with others.
That is why I hold such high esteem for breeders who actually are working with and making selections based on the knowledge they have about that stuff. Recessive etc etc

2 Likes

Thanks man, that makes sense. The concept always made me scratch my head since it’s just a plant but I understand now. If it’s an accident and you have no idea what the parents really were it would be near impossible to reproduce.

1 Like