SquirtleSquads adventures in DWC

DIY can be a literal pain some times, but hopefully, the end results, and satisfaction of a job well done, wipe out all the frustration :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll take dissatisfaction when it comes to that lol

1 Like

The second frame went together much easier due to the larger diameter holes and thereā€™s a little bit of room between the end face of the heatsink and the angled aluminium. This also led to a parallelogram type shape shift. So tomorrow I will pick up some channels and put them at the cut ends to help square it up.

Went into the flower room and cut out all the lower growth. They took a while to start flowering, but the growth as of the past week has been good. Think I flipped 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure why exactly, Iā€™m sure itā€™s in a previous post that I can ballpark from. I gotta get better at tracking this.

I know it was before I cut these as these have pistils. These are in need of a transplant to my multi site DWC. Crazy root growth compared to last update 4 days ago.

And the autos. The two tall ones tripled in size. Were 12" 4 days ago and today aleady 18". Feed is still a bit less than 0.8EC. Itā€™s dropping though so I need to up it. The tips are lime green though so not sure.

9 Likes

Donā€™t be dumb like me. I lifted these up to check for plumb and accidentally flipped one of the arrays and I wanted both power connectors in the middle and 2700k on one row and 3500k on the next alternating. Well now I got 2700k, 3500k on each row.

Part of me wants to undo each heatsink so the wiring looks neater. But the other part is saying 14 bolts, eh.

6 Likes

First, I am in no way admitting, or even hinting, that I have ever done ANYthing like that. Just so you we are clear on this, I am mostly almost perfect. My granddaughter will attest to that. Just ask her :wink:

Now that we are clear on that, I agree - eh, who cares. I think it looks great and it will grow plants just fine as is :smiley:

4 Likes

I ended up switching them out. Took only 15 minutes.

Started wiring them last night then a friend came through and we took the dog for a walk that turned into 2 hours lol.

Iā€™m thinking I want a junction box to put all my wagos in and some cable glands. Thatā€™s the perfectionist in me speaking lol.

I hope the frame holds. Seems wobbly due to itā€™s size. In hindsight I should have used 1" angles for the ends that I put on last night. Maybe that would have added to the rigidity. Or a channel but the Loweā€™s I stopped at on the way home from work only had a single 1" angle so I opted for 3/4". I used self driving sheet metal screws to attach so no way thatā€™s giving out. I used screw type eye hooks and after a few turns it felt loose so that is my point of failure I fear. I screwed it in past the threads and it started to feel tight again and gave it another turn for good measure. The bolt type eye hooks only came with one nut which I thought was weird so that is why I opted for the screw type

3 Likes

Came out pretty good. Thinking of getting some sheet aluminum to cover up the middle where all the wiring is.

5 Likes

Got the light up finally

12 Likes

Nice looking plants dude!

2 Likes

Thank you. The ones down the end are small because they only had a single 260w on them. New strains so they took longer in veg due to not really knowing what they like for nutrients.

Chocolate Chunk has root rot itā€™s the only one outside the rdwc so Iā€™m not expecting much from it.

2 Likes

Looks awesome @SquirtleSquad
Definitely karma ++++ after all the hard work and headaches with the light! Gonna be a killer crop man!
Love the scrog setup btw :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Killing it, like the new additions ;).

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Had a busy weekend. Got the light set up. Transferred the clones to their new homes 2 looked droopy as of this morning. Not sure whatā€™s up with that. The other 11 look good. Definitely let the roots get way too big for these small 4" netpots Iā€™m using now. Used to transferring to 6" and boy do they make a difference.

Thatā€™s probably why a couple a droopy, probably injured their roots while transferring.

Need to get more airstones today to get more air into the totes.

Did a res change on the autos (went from 0.8EC to 0.6EC so I upped them to 1.0EC) the tip yellowing is more advanced so Iā€™m quite convinced itā€™s not nutes burn. The two stragglers in veg also got a res change. One looks entirely unhealthy and normally Iā€™d cull it but Iā€™mma give it another week of attention (been focusing attentions elsewhere) as I wanted to give up on this plant.

The air pump that has been in my flower room for not even three weeks was making a weird sound and was really hot. I read they shouldnt be in direct light so I moved it to the ground level and let it cool down. Upon starting it back up after a few hours the noise was gone. Came back into the room last night and there it was again.

Of course I bought this fucker two years ago so thereā€™s no way of proving the run time at being 3 weeks. Piece of junk. The grow is in the basement so as long as the noise doesnā€™t mean failure is near Iā€™ll live with the noise.

My generhal hydroponics dual diaphragm pumps are on year 5 and still staying strong after sitting in direct light, being dropped a dozen times. Iā€™d never buy another danner again.

Tonight I empty my flower system and refill with my flower recipe. About day 23 from flip.

1 Like

My clones. The two perked up.

Drained and refilled the flower rdwc and made some new nutrients for them. Bought a new water meter and it read 80gal. 192g 5-12-26, 112g CaNO3. 48g MgSO4. 40g MKP.

Starting to taper the N down.

Think I need a new pH probe for my combo meter. I calibrated it today with my pH doser and the combo meter reads 0.4 lower.

I know itā€™s the combo meter cause after I mix nutrients itā€™s usually 6.1-6.3 and now itā€™s reading 5.8.

The probe is a year or more old so it is likely. Time to buy a new one

3 Likes

My Apera meter started acting up on me several days ago. It gave me fits calibrating it and wouldnt stay calibrated and it took forever to settle on a final reading - especially if I was going from a low to a hi PH solution.

Customer support asked first if I stored it in KCL solution - and I do. They also suggest changing out the KCL more often if you use it often.

After they ran me through some tests, they suggested a factory reset. After doing that it was much improved as far as calibrating accurately and fast, and getting repeatable readings, but it was still really slow to settle on a final reading when changing from a low to a higher PH sample. If check my rez first and its at say 6.1, then I check the accumulator tank and it was at 5.6, when I go back to test the rez again, it would also read 5.6 and take a LONG time to climb back to the 6.1 reading. Like 30 minutes or more sometimes.

Next, they suggest cleaning the glass bulb - very gently - with a soft brush and soapy water. After doing that the meter is reacting much faster when switching to different solutions and in settling down the first time.

In your case, if the probe is that old, none of that may help - but its cheap to try. Good luck with it!

1 Like

Yeah I store in KCl. The reference fluid inside the probe looks milky and the caulking the seals the bulb and the reference fluid in looks moldy. Ill try cleaning it but it may just be past itā€™s usable life. They recommend every 6 months. And this is the longest ive had one going for in the 3 years Iā€™ve owned this meter.

2 Likes

Ordered a Milwaukee probe last night. Be here tomorrow. Love prime shipping. Was 75% the cost of the Bluelab.

2 Likes

So I found thrips on one of the plants.

Currently struggling on whether to spray with spinosad or let it ride.

This is them as of this morning. Entering week 4 from flip. Some reason it seems these took forever to start budding. They seem to be lagging behind the dark star kush I grew last round. I also think I couldnā€™t time correctly lol so maybe they arenā€™t. I need one of those big calendars so I can mark when I flip. I know looking back on this thread I said Iā€™d flip in a week in the 15th of November so Iā€™m going with the 24th of November as my flip time as I know it was after Thanksgiving.

Next grow Iā€™m moving the control bucket outside the room this way thereā€™s less in and out of the room and less likelyhood of pests making there way inside.

2 Likes

Hey first, whatā€™s up buddy?
Pests! The only thing I really hate. Havenā€™t noticed any for awhile, should probably start worrying/looking. Winters been more like spring here.
So you arenā€™t running any far red light as a flower initiator? Iā€™ve been running a couple pucks by rapid and growmau5 , not sure of results because the past two grows have been a blur , BUT I think there may be something to it last two have finished up quicker than I expected.

1 Like

Hey bud, yeah fuck pests. But I think Iā€™ve been pretty lucky never having them before.

The solstrips I bought have 630nm and 455nm I think thatā€™s whatā€™s used on the initiators. But I started them around week 3 so I donā€™t expect to see anything this round.

Winters been wild here. Goes from 15-25F with 5F wind-chill Tuesday to 65F and rainy yesterday. Todayā€™s mild 50-55F.

Nope thereā€™s no global warming going on here.

Edit- I guess the pucks are 730nm. Iā€™ll look into them. They are only meant to be ran for a little bit right?

2 Likes