Starting Again...... with new hemp seeds

So, being that my attempt at Aeroponics FAILED Miserably, I have decided to go back to Coco, at least for now. That being said, as some of you may know, I have had an impossible time getting ANY of Dozens of Freedom Dream seeds to germinate. Therefore, I am going to document the attempt at germinating the last few seeds I have left, here. I hope that y’all will give me tips along the way, or at least let me know when I am Frakking Up.

Started yesterday, taking the suggestion of @ReikoX (being that he has ACTUALLY germinated some) by soaking the seeds in tap water.

Today, after a 24hr bath, I transferred them to spend some time sleeping comfortably in a bed of Paper Towel, snugly sealed in a Sandwich Bag room, heated ever so gently by the heat of a refrigerator.

You may notice that two have been, as you could say, segregated from the others. No, they aren’t from the wrong side of the tracks, they just decided to swim longer as the rest went for a dive (Want to see if they perform any differently).

So, that is where we are in our story. More to come…

11 Likes

I soak mine, place them in paper towels, in a ziplock sandwich bag, and then over my top computer heat exhaust, with a lil box over them, makes them nice and warm.

3 Likes

I suffer from mould badly here in UK
I dont put seeds in sealed containers (baggies) anymore as it just encourages mould to grow on them
This wont be a problem unless you live in a climate with high RH or a home with damp issues like mine

6 Likes

In SoCal. RH is usually around 30% so not a real problem. I think I had some seeds, in PT and a zip lock bag, get moldy once. It was some Okra seeds that were there for a few weeks.

6 Likes

i had some seeds go mouldy but they were dormant and i forgot to throw them out … left them in tuperware for 2-4 weeks :smiley:

sucks to hear about your freedom dreams … are those from 2018? i have a bunch but never tried to germinate any … i could try popping some now??

1 Like

I don’t know. I got them from someone. I would assume that if not from this year, then no more than a few years old. I appreciated the gift, so I am not upset and I have found a couple of places that actually sell the popular Hemp strains (Boax, Cherry, Cherry Wine, etc) at a decent price and I wouldn’t have to buy a POUND o’ seed for thousands of dollars. I will try these last ones and see what happens and buy some new seeds in a few weeks if necessary.

2 Likes

MMG candida (CD-1) is an excellent CBD strain … although i’m pretty sure there’s lots of freedom dream seeds floating around here as well… i think @ReikoX or someone was making more of them too

if you have no luck i can prob send you 10 more … i sent them to a few people and never heard of any problems with germination from these ones :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer. Let me see how these come out.

So, I looked in on the seeds, in the towel (am germinating seeds from two other strains at the same time and they were already starting to show a tap root when I took them out of the water. Had to check them so I thought I would check the hemp). There is absolutely no sign of a “Nubbin” in any, but they are all cracked. Will look in on them later today.

In the meantime, I need to transfer the other seeds into media. I was going to put them directly into Coco, in a solo cup, but I also have 1.5" RW cubes. Is it beneficial to put them in the cubes and then, when growing, transfer to bags, or just put them in coco now and transfer when ready (waiting for the bags now)?

3 Likes

what bags are you talking about? just like plastic grow bags?? if your finish substrate is going to be coco in the bags, i’d skip the rockwool and plant the seedlings directly in coco

2 Likes

Yes, Grow Bags with Coco. I decided to just go ahead and put them in Solo cups with Coco.

2 Likes

Okay, it has been a full day in the paper towel.

While they have all cracked, there are no “Nubbins” showing. The other strains all have small taproots showing and have been transferred to Coco. Will give them another day.

1 Like

It is now 48 hours in paper towel. Not one is showing any sign of taproot growth.

So, should I leave them in the paper towel for another day, put them into Solo cups with Coco, or do I “throw in the towel” (both figuratively and literally)?

1 Like

What is the temperature range they’re in? They prefer a warm environment to germinate, with light shade. I’d say give them a splash of h2o2, put them back in, in a warm, shaded area, and give it another day or so.

2 Likes

About 80 some degrees. I wasn’t getting too much heat on top of the frig, so I put them on a cable box that basically stays on all the time. It’s warm to the touch, but not hot. Also they were soaked in water with h2o2, to start.

2 Likes

Ideally they should be good… only thing I can think of is they possibly drowned, since you stated that the seeds were cracked, without any root breaking through… It’s possible the shell broke before the root came through and they got suffocated in water :expressionless:

1 Like

They hadn’t cracked until they went into the paper towel. I looked at the seed when I took them out of the water to see if they had (some one on the “Soak or no soak” thread had said something about them drowning and that’s why he didn’t). Seems that they cracked in the towel. I think I will probably give them another day sleeping gently in a warm blanket. Then I may beat them silly to wake them up…:laughing:

1 Like

Ya, Cannabis seeds are not that hard to drown, believe it or not… they need oxygen as well as water to start the process, and if they’re covered in water with no way to get oxygen, they’ll drown… pretty much the same as overwatering a sprout.

i generally just plant my seeds directly in wet soil and have 95-100% germination rate within a week… im gonna try to sprout a couple of my freedom dreams in a paper towel to test em … just a couple tho cause i won’t grow them after they germinate

2 Likes

It has been 72 hours in the paper towel and, though I thought I saw some “Nubbins” alas, there were none. Decided to transfer all 8 to Solo cups in Coco and will see what happens.