Starting juvenile plant from seed straight on 12/12

What the heck? How do these peeps get 12/12 from seed? What sorcery is this?

A “12 /12” light schedule means giving your plant 12 hours light & 12 hours darkness each day (this initiates the cannabis flowering stage)

If you haven’t heard this term before, “12/12 from seed” means giving your cannabis seedling 12 hours of light, and 12 hours of dark each day from the moment of germination. Providing a 12/12 light schedule initiates the flowering stage and causes cannabis plants to start making buds. The idea is to get a new seedling to start flowering as quickly as possible, so it takes less time to harvest.

1 Like

Its not bullshit at all. I almost did 1212 from seedling with a mekong high. See the thing is. If you try vegging a tropical variety like a mekong and then you flower it youll be left with a MASSIVE plant. Tropical varities veg for a few weeks into flower. Also thing about the equator where some of these tropicals are from. Its 12/12 all day everyday!

6 Likes

Like in my case, i got 12/12 all year round, and so, i’m gonna try to run some autos and see what results i get…

4 Likes

its something peeps do with true Sativa’s that have 16+ weeks of flowering… helps containing final size too on those strains that usually never really end the stretching
DS

4 Likes

It’s a tech that I’ve only recently learned can be used with more than tropical sativas. Any variety can be grown this way. Cannabis does not reach the maturity it needs to begin flowering until roughly six weeks from germination. During that period it will remain vegetative and grow like under any other photoperiod, except that it will grow more slowly due to less light. Once mature it will start to flower and finish as it would under a regular bloom schedule.

The end result is generally a much shorter and smaller plant. Yield is sacrificed for speed and stature. But 12-18 inch plants yielding 2 oz dried within 90-110 days from germination is not uncommon. And it allows for perpetual grows in a single space. It is an option for evaluating a new strain quickly, or cabinet growing with limited vertical space.

Autos will perform similarly but not because they are on 12/12, but because they are non-photoperiod specific. Some regular strains will react poorly, resulting in sparse and poorly formed buds.

Some pics of mature 12/12-from-seed plants:

-b420

14 Likes

This is encouraging for me. Those plants look the bomb, and any way any homegrown plant i get to full maturity and get dried buds off of, will be a thousand times better than mexican and/or jamaican brick weed!!!

Thanks Mr. B.

May i ask what strains those first two are, the one cola plants… I am doing autos under the sun 12/12 in 5 gallon pots.

1 Like

I can now begin to see, the thread of this autos i’m running under the sun to be of much interest to all parties here on OG. Promise to take it from beginning to end w/ pics.

4 Likes

Those are Master Kushes. The lower two are OG Kushes, either SFV or Tahoe I don’t remember exactly.

-b420

3 Likes

I have used this 12/12 from seed strategy for a long time now. Primarily on mostly sativa plants to be grown indoors. It helps to keep the plant as small as possible because some sativa dom. plants can get out of control indoors. They seem to stretch for months without any corrective techniques employed. I use small containers in addition to the 12/12 light cycle in order to dwarf the plants.
I now grow my sativa plants outside only. But before I moved to South Florida, I found the above techniques helpful while attempting to grow my beloved sativas indoors.

6 Likes

How big would they get? That’s very interesting…

1 Like

Depending upon the strain, some would still get too large for indoor gardens. Starting from 12/12 and relegating the plants to small containers(1.5 to 3 gallon max.), they would reach four to five feet in height. They would look like vines…sometimes I felt like Jack, in Jack and the Beanstalk!
In larger containers, provided with a month or so of vegetative growth, they would try to get twice as tall…truly ridiculous indoors!

Anyway, regardless of height, and the ensuing problems indoors, the real difficulty with growing mostly pure sativas indoors is the wispy, feathery nature of the buds.
Even with 1000W HIDs the buds are not dense and compact. They remain more open and loosely constructed.
Frustrating indeed!
The same strain grown under the sun develops much more desirable flower growth.
This is why I greatly prefer sativas under the sun in a conducive climate.

6 Likes

Like Costa Rica! LOL

2 Likes

Yes indeed…
You are even closer to the great equator than am I!!!
:sunglasses::bangbang::+1:

1 Like

That is right. 10 degrees north of.

2 Likes

I wish i was near the equator. Shit i would burn up quick thoughXD toasted. I only wish for the constant 12/12 so i can grow these pure tropical indicas outside. I wish so much to grow one haze in full sun. Ill have to move there for a yearXD

2 Likes

Some years ago I popped a long lost bag seed and had buds that looked almost exactly like the one in the third photo while it was flowering. Dried it was orange, packed with crystals, extremely dense and potent. It was one of the neatest plants I’d ever seen. Didn’t grow more than 3 1/2 feet tall I swear, but I could be wrong too. Had successfully taken about 20 clones, gave my brother a bunch and grew the rest myself. Several friends tried guessing, but it was across the board. Lol. Ended up taking a job out of town, leaving my better half to tend to the ladies, but she let spider mites infest and devour the entire room. It was a sad story and much more elaborate, spare the details. Kind of in the wife’s defense, she had just had our second child and was distracted to say the least, but seems like it should have been motivating too? Total digression.

Secondly, I just got a pack of master kush seed from seedsman. Are these yours? So happy to set them off. After returning from vacation they are going in a new 35"d x 56"w x 75"h room under 1 600w.

I promise! I’ve never been more excited to return from a vacation I haven’t even taken yet.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Try to enjoy the vacation! LOL

2 Likes

No the MKs are not mine… But I’m very concerned about your wife’s judgment in this matter. Prioritizing your newborn child ahead of your plants during a spider mite infestation? What was she thinking? Infants are immune to spider mites! :wink:

-b420

9 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Overgrowers, we got no remedy! LOL

2 Likes

HAAAAAAAH this is the best😂 infants are immune to spider mitesXD

3 Likes