Stem splitting? Anyone tried this?

just ran across this today about stem splitting to increase bud size and trichomes.

Seems counter intuitive to me but…

4 Likes

From the email I got

How it works

Stem splitting is all about increasing the levels of THC in your marijuana plant.

When your plant undergoes a specific type of stress, it reacts accordingly. In this case, you are messing with the flow of nutrients and water as it tries to make its way up the stem. That causes your plant to produce extra trichomes and THC, which means better and denser buds.

If you’re not familiar with trichomes, you should know that they are essential. They are where the glorious cannabinoids (such as THC) are made. Therefore, the more trichomes, the better.

How to do it

You will need the following items to successfully perform the stem splitting technique:

● Knife (very sharp and sterilized)
● Ties or rope (2)
● Pencil, chopstick, or another similar object

It is simple in concept but tricky in practice, so it’s a good idea to practice on just one marijuana plant at a time (per grow season) until you are confident you’ve got the hang of it.

If done wrong, it can end up doing more harm than good. So, make sure you are willing to sacrifice one marijuana plant in the name of the greater good before jumping in!

Ready to get started? Go here to learn how to do the stem splitting technique.

3 Likes

It is . . . Extreme stress like that does increase potency but drastically reduces yield. . . So you decide which fits your needs

4 Likes

I’ve read about this a few times on various different sites. It supposedly increases trichome production as the plant thinks going to die. It’ll be a similar thing to snapping stems. Plant goes into overdrive trying to get itself pollinated.

2 Likes

Thanks guys!

I might give it a try on one plant next time around, but I will wait till very close to harvest I think.

I like to cause late flower stress on mine. I take a safety pin and poke a few holes in the stem to simulate a mite attack. I notice the trich development explode shortly after this is done

10 Likes

Interesting! How late in the grow do you do it?

About 2 weeks before chop.

3 Likes

Ok, then, I am more likely to try it now :slight_smile:Thanks!

Have at her brother!

1 Like

As far as to the OP, I myself have yet to do this. I do know of companies that make plastic spikes to stab you plant with and leave in place. The guys from Mendo Dope have done some research with this as well. Its and interesting idea, i am just scared to do too much damage and hinder the plant beyon just some stress.

4 Likes

Stick a spike in your arm. . .how stressed would you be??

1 Like

Depends on the medication im on. I am a fisherman so i havr had several hooks and millions of fins in me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I used to stick a sharpened Popsicle stick through my main stalks 2 weeks b4 harvest, it’s true the stress does make the plant produce more of everything. I’m pretty sure it’s because it goes into emergency state of panic trying to keep itself alive. Have you ever heard of super cropping? It’s kinda the same deal but instead of cutting stems you just use pressure until you feel the stem more or less busy inside. You will notice in a few days it swells at that spot. Looks like a broken bone would if you didn’t reset it and just let it heal. I have done this in moderation but have never tried with the whole plant through the whole grow. But now that I’m talking about I will try and I’ll keep you posted. I am currently trying the FIM tech and its looking to be very productive

8 Likes

I fim all of my plants to keep them from growing
upwards. Even autos. Stem splitting is a form of stressing the plant to produce more trichomes. Bending and scrog does the same thing. Introduce some blue light and it will increase trichomes production. It worked for me.

5 Likes

I intentionally do this while supercropping, not for more trichomes but for some stress training. Makes for some massive buds.

I don’t use a knife or scalpel I just squeeze in the right way and it will split.

5 Likes

I squeeze to to bend sideways so they grow sideways and to be fair the buds did end up thicker/fatter.

6 Likes

I’ve seen people supercrop and even intentionally snap stems, but never actual splitting. I’ve had it happen accidentally over the years and the stem that split definitely gets alot fatter, nugs seem bigger too.

For anyone like me who doesn’t have the heart to do this to their ladies, stem massaging produces a similar effect but less drastic. Just start at the bottom of a stem and work it back and forth gently while moving up the branch. You’ll notice stems are thicker and more sturdy after a couple rounds.

4 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle is a pro at this. He made a nifty diagram of where and how to squeeze to do it this way but I cant find it. Once I saw the diagram it all just kinda made sense, now it’s a piece of cake I have no worries when doing it.

3 Likes

I do it to soften the stem so it doesn’t break when I bend it over. I’ve had stems split without bad results though to be honest.

2 Likes