Cultivar Laboratory Testing Results ⚛

That’s cool. This will be very interesting.

4 Likes

I have an almost complete hplc setup, from scrounged lab parts bought on eBay. Both of my uv detectors seem to have flaky bulbs though, so I’m not quite there yet.

6 Likes

Yea, well, if you are trying to make me jealous it’s working :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

dude thats awesome @lefthandseeds

i hope u get that sucker up and running!

is it hobby based or are you planning on a business venture?

4 Likes

:joy: well save it until I actually get something working… Right now it’s just a pile of 80s lab junk that forces liquid through a small pore. But with any luck I’ll get a detector going and figure out some way to digitize the output. That’ll be something

8 Likes

I didn’t notice my kit maxes out at 20% concentration, but something to play with, I think TLC plates will give a more accurate measurement though.

4 Likes

New Laboratory Results

Strain Meta:

Breeder: Unknown Prophet
Strain: Triple Dubble

Lineage: Sour Dubble x Orange Tahoe
Expanded: [{Original Diesel x DNL} | {BOGBubble Sour Bubble Clone x (BOGBubble Sour Bubble Clone x BOGBubble) BX3}] – [{OG Kush Tahoe Cut x SFV OG} | {Girl Scout Cookies Forum Cut x OJB}]

Sow: Peat Pellet
Media: Promix HP + worm castings, Fabric Pots
Lighting: Natural Greenhouse + Supplemental
Nutrients: Megacrop, Mycorrhiza
Vegetation Period: didn’t track
Flower Period: didn’t track
Dry: ~10 days
Cure: ~2 Weeks
Lab: MCR

Phenotype 1 (harvest 2): UK12-Report.pdf (480.6 KB)

with terpene info UK12-Report.pdf (609.3 KB)

Phenotype 3 (harvest 1): UK31-Report.pdf (465.3 KB)

with terpene info UK31-Report.pdf (576.5 KB)

Phenotype 3 (harvest 2): UK32-Report.pdf (362.2 KB)

with terpene info UK32-Report(1).pdf (477.4 KB)

edit: added terpene analysis.

11 Likes

New Laboratory Results: 12 month analysis on storage

The following report is based on a sample stored over a ~12 month period. Storage conditions were in a glass container, humidity controlled via a Boveda pack, humidity monitored using a Sensorpush, room temperature, low/intermittent light. Temperature averaged 65.8F with a maximum of 82F and a minimum of 54.4F. Relative humidity average 65.8% with a maximum of 68.5% and a minimum of 64.5% after stabilization.

This is for the Cult Classics Jupiter and Beyond strain: 4_12Month-Report.pdf (354.9 KB)
Updated report with terpene analysis: 4_12Month-Report.pdf (462.5 KB)

The original sample vs this long-term storage sample shows minimal differences in THC content. Results are subject to statistical sample size error and testing variation.

The green color has certainly changed and the tricomes appear more golden in color. We see a significant conversion of about 50% of the THCa into THC. About 1.6% decrease in CBG having perhaps been converted to THC or CBC. Total cannabinoids remain approximately equivalent while there was a slight increase in the max THC (perhaps as a result from the CBG conversion).

With that noted, this result is a surprise to me. I would have expected to have seen a significant overall decrease in the THC compounds overall. But, it appears possible that the relatively large amount of CBGa in the original sample has decomposed into compounds that have offset any loss of THC by degradation. While about 50% of the existing THCa converted to THC.

This result in no way should be taken as gospel. The sample size is too small and non-homogeneous. But, it may be interesting enough for further study.

See the OP for the original reports on this particular strain (#4). *Terpene analysis is in progress and will update report when completed.

Original (11/2018):

After 12 months (10/2019):

Possible decomposition of CBGA(1):

Decomposition of THCA(1):

:

Terpenes original (11/2018) vs terpenes after 12 months (10/2019):

Very interesting results on the terpene analysis. Significant change in the overall profile. The amount of terpenes decreased as expected but it also appears that some of the terpenes that were detected originally have decomposed into different terpenes. I’ll need to research this a bit to understand what is going on here.

27 Likes

Nowhere in md will test for public. Even steep hill. Govt has it controlled that way here.

3 Likes

I’m not a big guy. That’s only because I don’t have any money, so by social standards I’m a deadbeat.

In my head I’m as big as the universe tho.

We tested my Trop Cookies Black Pheno in a MyDX little thing. Check it out.

Pretty good for my first attempts at rosin.

We will see how I do in the Dab-a-Doo!

Sci

7 Likes

I was looking at the dx
You got Hands on experience do you think it was worth the $
and what did the total cost end up running you for everything needed to test?
Rather hear review from someone like you than google sales ads. There’s no way I’ll get my chit to a lab here in md but id really like to be able to run tests freely as needed

4 Likes

I don’t love it because of the plastic things you need in order to perform the test. If you’re careful you can re use them.

Other than that, it dias what it says it does.

It’s not mine tho.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your results.

Need to hear more about the MyDX. Great for situations as @rooted mentioned (which I find to be absurd over-stepping by the state) and those who want to minimize their footprint. Is it a cost effective solution?

FWIW, lab testing in this area is ~$25 per sample for potency and then $50 per sample for terpenes analysis. It might be different for non-flower, idk.

Edit: err, I got it backwards. $50 for potency and $25 for terpenes.

5 Likes

That’s cheap last price I saw in Ontario was $200. MyDX is $699 USD so seems cheap would be great for breeding and selections.

2 Likes

Yes, the pricing here is good. And, this particular lab is very easy to work with, too. Only problem, it’s hand delivery only and it’s a bit of a drive.

Otherwise, I would be more hesitant to utilize them. $200 a sample would be too cost prohibitive for an individual to the point of where it starts to makes sense to set-up your own equipment. Or, not do it at all.

4 Likes

I’ve managed to obtain >3000 flower lab test results from a local laboratory. These are test results from over the last four years or so. Here are a couple of graphs of the potency results across all of the samples (sorted by total cannabinoids):

Total Cannabinoids:

Max THC:

Max CBD:

15 Likes

Interesting graphs - but - I need some help understanding this and interpreting the graph data.

First - did you do 3000+ tests of your home grows, or are these just random samples that the lab has done over some period of time?

What is the time period? (edit - I see now its over 4 years)

Why do all three graphs show an increase over time? Testing procedure changes or? All three show a dramatic climb initially, then a steady climb over most of the graph, followed by another dramatic increase at the end, although Im not at all sure how to interpret that last CBD graph. It seems to taper off at the end?

On the graphs - why are they all different? The first one just seems to be individual plots with only a small spread or range at any given sample point. The pother two are more like bar graphs, but one has bars that congregate at the upper values while the CBD seems to have concentrated plots at lower values?

Then there is that odd discontinuity in the middle THC graph between roughly samples 2000-2600 or so.

Inquiring graph readers want to know :slight_smile:

5 Likes

yeah.did their hplc break from 2000 to 2500??

3 Likes

Of course, 3000 homegrows :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But no. This is not my data but instead test results obtained from a local laboratory from hundreds of different growers. Only placed here for whatever analysis and interpretation we can make of it.

They are all sorted by total cannabinoids which is composed of the total amount of the following potential analytes: THC, THCa, CBGa, CBD, CBN, CBNa, CBDva, delta-8-THC, CBG, THCv, THCva, CBDv, CBC, CBCa, CBL, CBLa.

The x axis is not time, it is sample number in order of increasing cannabinoids. We are not looking at time here. I briefly looked at that and didn’t see anything specifically correlated to time just by scrolling through it. Though I may post something like this later on. I didn’t spend a lot of time analyzing this yet, just pop’ed up a couple of plots.

The first graph is the total cannabinoids. The second and third graph are the “Maximum” THC and CBD where THC is a calculated amount assuming we decarb any THCa into THC. It is calculated as Max THC = THC + (THCa * 0.877). MAX CBD = CBD + (CBDa * 0.877).

So some samples might measure 20% total cannabinoids and have an equal amount of THC (10%) and CBD (10%). While, another sample might have the same 20% cannabinoids but instead have 19% THC and 1% CBD. Again, each graph was sorted by the total cannabinoids (graph one) which is why you see the discontinuities in the second and third graphs (as the ratios can vary greatly).

Not bar graphs, I’ve turned off the lines and re-posted graphs two and three to make the data more clear. We can see the non-CBD type, the evenly mixed types, and the full-on CBD only types.

You can thank excel for that. I gave it a couple of lashings and it popped back into place.

Yes, interesting huh? The bulk of the growers were producing something that measured between around, visually, 12% - 27%. The outliers were the folk producing less than 12% total cannabinoids or the folk producing something greater than 27%. Segmented in this way, there is something interesting in each case.

Humor:

11 Likes

Terpenes versus Total Cannabinoids (smaller set of data, smaller number of terpenes analysis):

Terpenes versus Max THC (note x-scale range):

Terpenes versus Max CBD:

That’s interesting. FYI, clusters on the left hand side of graphs two and three indicate the different type. E.g. mostly THC, mostly CBD.

I’d say the number of CBD type plants are rather sparse relative to the THC types such that the data isn’t sufficient to understand the terpenes trend for CBD. The range and average seem similar. Although this could be worth further investigation.

Also interesting is that it does appear that terpenes production is coorelated to the cannabinoid percentages across the sample set. The spread (range at any percentage) is a matter of further interest as well and is probably in some way coorelated to environment/storage + genetics. Unfortunately, we can’t look at genetics specifically since most samples differ. And, we can’t look at environment/storage specifically since that data isn’t included.

I might be able to eek out something useful by looking at the THC vs THCa which might give us a hint if there is some decomposition going on that could also affect terpenes.

14 Likes