Strainly site closing down! Update! Strainly is going to stay!

Do you have any links to the story about killings? I hadn’t heard about that. I’ve hardly had any time to sit at the computer. Thanks.

edit: I just found it with a google. Thx

3 Likes

Something is amiss with the riverside murder story. Id guess they were selling meth or heroin. Whoever murdered probably took all of those drugs. NYT said $5m in plants in a house. At $2k per pound that’s 2500 pounds growing. In a house??

3 Likes

Ha! I dealt with Nick ONE TIME…Same as you NO GERMINATION. Luckily it was not for a lot of $$.

However, I have had a few dealings with others that came off great…ie: Mama Funk Clones (before she stopped shipping), Mark, Demonic, 7east Genetics, Shoreline, Captain Redbeard, OTT, and a few others.

Strainly performed an alternate service that was pretty darn good for me. I would not blame Strainly for a few rotten apples.

9 Likes

Heh, sounds like me. Used it once and sent $40 to ‘Victoria’/‘Subcool The Dank’ for some My Sharona seeds and as far as I can tell, she never shipped them. I asked after 6 weeks if she sent them and said she did but she’ll reship and send me tracking # the next day, needless to say, I never got a tracking # and after 2 more months of waiting, I never got any seeds. Thankfully it was only $40.

3 Likes

IMHO the issue with strainly is the average user not being able to tell who was legit and who were crooks. Plus with so many other platforms connecting growers nowadays the way it was set up wasn’t a very good business platform.
The good news is we still have OG :slight_smile:

10 Likes

$5mil reported would be street value, probably calculated at $20 a g. Roughly 560lbs and/or plants (even seedlings and clones are counted at a lb equivalent in many states). So easily reachable with a SOG setup. I once was busted in SW Florida with 9 grams. Cost me $50 for the 14g when I bought it… they reported it as worth $180. They’re a bit worse down there in other places though. Buddy of mine got busted selling crack. When they pulled him over he ground it into the floor of the car. They weighed the car and charged him with the weight of it as the container. The judge got a good chuckle out of it before throwing it out. My buddy even flat out admitted he had crack, that he was selling it, and that he tried to get rid of it. Still got thrown out on the absurdity of the charge (1k lbs).

4 Likes

There were sellers like @BOG, Shoreline, 7East, Captain Redbeard, Mama Funk Clones, Jinxproof, etc. that were known entities and many had their own sites too. I have bought from these and a few others, and the results were (are) outstanding for the most part. That seller…“Mark” has the $1 seeds…pay only AFTER receipt! He even sent freebies, and the strains appear to be the real deal (12 for 12 germed…4 strains so far). I just flipped one of his Bubba Kush last night, and will flip a Blue Dream later this week.

As with anything, it was up to the users to preform their own due diligence before spending any $.

I bought from that guy Nick, based only on his feedbacks, and was more annoyed at the time that I wasted, rather than the $40 I blew.

9 Likes

I know there was legit folks on there. And I do agree with the due diligence like with most things.
That is actually why I never used strainly. Anyone reputable could be found elsewhere usually. The pictures being used by a lot of the crooks the got from elsewhere. ( there are so called breeders away from strainly who love to steal peoples pictures and pass it off as their own )
You don’t have to use strainly to find shady crooks. Hell there are lots of breeders with their own sites that are as shady scam artist as it gets. It just always seemed weird to build a site for people to buy gear where they usually had to use other sites and platforms to try to verify the seller.
Here on OG it can all be done on the one site.

4 Likes

I agree with a cavaet…
There are things that we don’t have access to from the great people on OG…

1 Like

There are indeed , but the great people on OG can also usually steer someone in the right direction to find it. Without being scammed for dollars along the way . From day one that was my only problem with strainly. It was ripe as hell for the ripoff artists.

4 Likes

R.I.P Strainly

3 Likes

fuck strainly

4 Likes

Now as applied to hemp, many hemp clones are patented because the hemp industry is dominated by female clones, or what they call plugs around here. Also there are only USDA issued patents on plant clones, not seeds or sports. Plant patents are limited to one genome of any plant, so any mutations or hybrid seeds would not be covered in the patent.

3 Likes

Yeah, a lot of people trash talk Strainly. I have been on there since they started up. Early on it was a really good place to find and trade beans. I have done a lot of trades there. I only got burned once. Lately though there have been people posting seeds for upward of $1,000 each, and it has been flooded with obvious fraud. Also they went with paid premium memberships which squeeze out the little guys like me there. I have not done much of any trading there of late. So we shall see how things go after they shut down. As I recall, OG shut down for a long while as well. It is not what it once was either…

4 Likes

This gentleman Dale Hunt speaks on the subject of patents if you have the time.
6 Likes

I have contacted them asking about their issue and this is what they told me:

You can find anywhere you go a couple of rotten apples, it is difficult to rely in people you don’t know but Strainly was a good place for trading, a good idea as webpage, will miss them … :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Yes, you can only patent asexually propagated material, though you can claim utility patents on sexually produced material. The “invention” has to be non-obvious. There are a few plant patents and utility patents for Cannabis, and that includes marijuana -even though it’s still federally illegal. Federal judges aren’t supposed to offer patents on things that are not genuinely new, that’s why documentation, including in places like here on overgrow, are important for establishing prior art.

US patent for a high-THC clone

Article about Cannabis patents

This is an ok overview of plant IP protection

3 Likes

Madness there has to be a way to fix this I dont think they are thinking correctly.

1 Like

Well, as we don’t know the challenges they faced and went through until they couldn’t anymore it makes no sense to question their decision, all we can do is wish them luck and a prompt coming back … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This entire patent is absolutely ridiculous. how tf could anyone sign off on that. They got a patent for a clone of a cross they made between DJ Short’s Blueberry and a Black Berry Kush :man_facepalming:

2 Likes