Sun Grown Bud Is Better

Not from where I’m from :stuck_out_tongue: the sun/weather isn’t the same everywhere and some places have a much shorter growing season. I’m sure sungrown is amazing from warm climates but here the growing season is relatively short and I’ve personally never experienced outdoor that was better than something grown indoor even from BC (warmer climate)

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I’ve smoked mostly indoor from when I first started smoking weed until now? I’m not old enough to remember the import/export of the 70s and 80s before indoor growing took off everywhere.

I think finished weed is the best weed. Harvesting early because of weather or some other reason and there’s gonna be a huge hit on potency/quality. Where I’m from most outdoor doesn’t get to fully finish by the time the rain comes and the night temps start getting very low so I’m sure most people harvest earlier than they should.

Sometimes I daydream of living near the equator and being able to grow 16+ week strains outdoors.

4 Likes

Then you have all the bug trouble that goes with growing outside,I could grow outside on my deck I live in a legal but I like my tents keeps the nosy neighbors away

5 Likes

It’s probably in your head. It’s all the same.

OD doesn’t get me any higher than indoor. There isn’t some magical quality to the sunlight that generates “better” cannabinoids.

No raw THC numbers aren’t the only metric that makes a good plant (and a lot of labs today are faking numbers IMO), but THC is what gets you high.

I don’t believe in the entourage effect. I think it’s made up.

3 Likes

Hi @TestOfOath, like you I am fascinated by the physics of cannabis lighting. I’ve grown indoors and outdoors but ultimately the outdoor pests, mold and other uncontrollable aspects led me back to the grow room.

Your quest to replicate sunlight for your grow is the last hurdle for most indoor growers and I wonder if you could share more info on your light’s stats for PPFD and the DLI for veg and flowering?

2 Likes

My opinion is indoor seems to look better and terps are maxed out. My indoor litterally like 2-3hits n im high but the outdoor seems to have a different high. Like more full. Instead of instant to the moon spacey high the outdoor has a more mellow but fuller approach. Like mind body and all total stone that lasts instead of an instant rush like high.

2 Likes

I have to say that I prefer the same plant’s flowers grown outside.
Many times I have grown out clones from the same plant both indoors and out.
Invariably, I gravitate towards the jars of sun grown flowers when I’m deciding what to smoke.

However as mentioned by @vernal , I don’t think the perceived difference is quantifiable.
It’s likely subjective perception.
To me, regardless, the sun-grown flowers have a certain “je ne sais quoi”.

11 Likes

I’ve had outdoor that was total bunk and indoor that was primo, and vice versa. It all comes down to environment, genetics and knowledge of the grower. I have to admit, the very best I ever had was outdoor grown in Thailand, but the second best was indoor grown in Colorado. For outdoor grows, what is total killer one year can be mediocre the next because mother nature is fickle. Indoor does allow you more control over the environment but lacks in light spectrum.

3 Likes

There’s a time and a place for both I think. I threw cuts from my outdoor plants in a tent this season, and as much as I like my own outdoor that indoor turned out really nice. Turned out this was a tough outdoor season, but for me that’s affected quantity more than quality.

Within reason I suspect insect pressure does interesting things to chemical expression.

2 Likes

Imo I think it comes down to knowing how to grow a particular strain. If you have been growing the variety for years then you know what that plant needs. Figure that out and the high will most likely be the same inside or outside.
I think a lot of hybrids and strains, even the ones say that will do great outside are probably better off grown inside under a strong light and fae. I think most varieties especially new need to be pampered to there fullest so the plant can fully express it’s background, and that’s hard to do outside because you have mother nature causing stress on plants often. From cold rain, wind, cool, hot, humid, hail… this keeps a lot of varieties from really expressing what they have to offer… get to know your plants and go from there… But if your growing some hot new or newish variety grow it inside under a good light…
Also having a variety of smoke will keep you higher. If you smoke the same weed everytime your body builds a tolerance to it.

5 Likes

Outdoor for weight and quality if you have the right climate I enjoy outdoor . Indoor gives you more control but runs the cost up and the harvest is minimal at best . Green house gives you a little bit of both worlds but hard to fly under the radar .

3 Likes

Greenhouse is a great option in a state like Michigan.

2 Likes

When I smoke sun grown ganja, I can feel the cosmic rays that penetrated the plant. Sun grown ganja tastes better, as well. Weed grown indoors always feels more “clinical”. The same goes for watermelon and tomatoes grown in your own garden. “It’s in there…”

4 Likes

I’ll just put this out there.I’m my head or not right now the larfy bud I grew outside this year smokes 10 times better than the milk bone I’m smoking on now that was dispensary grown.The high on this Texada is not only more potent it lasts at least 3 to 4 hours the dispensary weed I have maybe 2 hours and it’s gas weed too.Not bad off weed with a 14% Thc content.That milkbone is supposed to be at least 22% just for the dispensary to fuck with it.

3 Likes

Really cool seeing so many people who seem to also see this phenomena. Well done OD is just insane. And, idk, heuristically it makes sense as well - no one grows wine grapes or apples inside. I think the outdoor stressors the plant has to deal with probably contribute to the nuanced high that results from really well done OD.

6 Likes

I have always felt outdoor gave a different feeling that I referred to as giving me back a little bit of the sunshine.

2 Likes

I could show hundreds of science links to show it fact, I Believe.

4 Likes

My indoor grows are downright abusive. Here’s hoping for a bit of nuance.

8 Likes

That’s purely for economic reasons, nothing to do with any beneficial effects of the sun.

Grapes and apples are so cheap and are perennial crops…it’d never be cost effective to grow them indoors. 40lbs of apples is $50.

There’s nothing wrong with OD weed whatsoever but asserting it’s somehow better is just wishful thinking with a dash of hippie science.

6 Likes

If you can taste the light that went into growing a plant… HPS tastes damned good.

12 Likes

You say “There’s nothing wrong with OD weed whatsoever but asserting it’s somehow better is just wishful thinking with a dash of hippie science.”

And, I have to disagree. There are numerous scientific studies that have been done on the difference in plant growth between monochromatic indoor lighting and the sun. Here’s one of my favorites : https://academic.oup.com/aobpla/article/10/5/ply052/5095468

One quote from the above: “Down-regulation of the electron transport system was an obvious response of the photosynthesis system to HL conditions. …Plants’ adaptation to the prevailing light environment is reflected by a change in anatomy and morphology of leaves, which is known as developmental acclimation”

“change in anatomy and morphology of leaves” specifically sounds like a pretty big deal to me.

3 Likes