Tales from the Terpship

Low basement ceilings suck but iv grown in a 18in x18in area before :joy:

2 Likes

Another day complete in the hobbit hole :upside_down_face: Overall things went well, minimal blood (oh the sweeet tender kiss of galvanized sheet metal), things are plumbed, roughly wired and tested.

I ran 4" smooth from the exterior vent across the back of the space to an 90 that protrudes into tent. This is tied directly into the T4, which is wall-mounted through the tent via screws and some silver tape to seal. This was all an attempt at not having the T4 butted directly up to the exterior vent for noise reasons. This in combination with running a small scrubber directly in the tent and not needing to run very hard seems to have done the trick. This also allows me enough room for my original inline system as we expand on the growing space to accommodate more tents.

We also grabbed our Canna Nutes, PROMIX HP, some extra perlite, propagation trays and some canna coco for our poor man’s hydro microgreens (sick of waiting in line at the grocery store, COVID ruined my typical capitalistic tendencies and the garden is just coming in) we will run in a little rack farm outside the space.

Still waiting on seeds, so we will get the microgreens going, spend some time outside in the garden and we might just end up running some fems from the headshop to get us rolling while we wait for the proven gens via snail mail.

We stoked, were going to actually load the pots with medium, get the res and feeders dialed tmr day and run another veg cycle tmr night see how fairs but for now, cold drink, sweet dab or two and bed.

:yawning_face:

12 Likes

Somethings are seemingly meant to be… I’ve been not so patiently waiting on beans to come with no news for days so I decided to spend the day in the garden, sewing micro greens basically passing time when a good friend stopped by for a smoke. I grumbled over my predicament, showed off the new space, shared a few laughs and a few more dabs before he presents me with some LA Kush Cake fresh from another accomplished local grower.

IMG_5187
I started to take a look and no doubt shes a beauty but what is this little diamond in the rough?!? BEANS!!!
IMG_5188

I quickly asked do you know what else he is currently running knowing that this particular grower is very tight-lipped - he said All I know is his runs are always unreal, if something from there pollinated it, it will certainly be primo! We are all acquaintances but I suspect I will not get any further information other than the mother was a stunner grown from fem seeds (he loves overpriced exclusivity) and produced some hearty seeds as well as excellent flower and soon to be rosin!

I check my email and find out that my preferred headshop is coming out COVID hibernation and sends me a list of seeds they are currently carrying including Barney’s (which I have LSD and Gelato 33 already on order from) GHS, Canuk (haven’t heard good things) and DNA Genetics… so options no doubt and timing, impeccable.

So I guess the question is do I a) see what sort of beautiful creations top-shelf genetics make when the grower isn’t intentionally breeding and when left alone or b) run known gens from known breeders like barney’s who clearly has some great strains under them but are widely available?

:thinking:

These LA Kush Cake X seeds could be vegged maybe even sexed and separated before I get the seeds I am already out of pocket and waiting for or do I go grab some Barney’s PK, Glookies or Blueberry OG for additional $$$ and 5 mins away from my house or both? Shit…

Instinct says grow what I have in hand strictly to find out what exactly went down, could be glorious (or a pack of hermys… ) Logic says get the fems, get some medicine, be content… I’m stuck

:zipper_mouth_face:

13 Likes

Enough is enough, the beans in the mail can wait, the maverick seeds also can wait (as they may be the most valueable seeds I have) going to dial in and freshen up on the tent this run with Barney’s Farm Gens:

Going to run 2 PK, a Blueberry OG and a Glookies for now. The DNA Cannalope Haze is for a friend however there’s always fees! I will save one bean for myself maybe to get a mother going or to sweeten a bean trade down the road.

Got them in 3" pots with a nursery blend I often use (1/3 Black Compost (Seasoil), 1/3 Canna Coco Coir, 1/3 Promix HP) over a couple fingers of perlite, then about the same of seasoil and topped up with mix. Misted them down with some high RO water as well as the takeout tray that will act as a poor man’s cloner for the time being. Gave them a small drink to keep them moist over night.

Placed them in my nursery rack of the vertical farm, sitting above a batch of greens running and keeping them under light strictly for the heat - black side up. Seem to keep them at 20 C, 52 RF inside the space, likely a bit higher in both cases inside my PMC.

We will see how she goes and adjust accordingly from there.

20 Likes

Day 2 : Barneys Farm Run

Taproots on all 4 seeds planted about 48hours ago are mining away currently in my PMC, get going down ladies!! It’s always so tempting to start moving them around but I tend to think that thousands of years of evolution will take over in the end. I could be wrong, in all my years of growing I have only had to grow cannabis from seed a handful of times, typically sea of green in nursery beds for future bush propagation. I tend to prefer cuttings but that’s life right now.

Took the time to throttle my AutoPot XLs today with bits and bobs from the hydromart, it’s not pretty but they feed evenly with ample room for tweaking as you can see!

It gives me the ability to isolate any part of the harness for service as well as feed to any given pot, shut down a wing or the whole system for a few more dollars worth of blackline and some fittings that really should have shipped with the unit at the price point IMO.

I’m happy this thread can soon be less of a build and more of a grow journal :sweat_smile:

Hope y’all are having a good one, thanks for stopping in!

17 Likes

Not much to report, Day 5: Glookies has a 360 degree bend in hopefully her stem and everybody else (PK and Blueberry OG) seem to be settling in. Seem to be reaching a bit for the 48W Sunblaster LED I have them under, brought them closer to the light by another 2" since this shot this morning. Hoping they get sturdy enough for the big show soon.

Likely slow down the updates here until something actually happens lol, thanks for stopping in!!

14 Likes

Nice system that’s a smart way to rig it. Have you used bio canna before? Was always tempted to try it but I’m too cheap haha, I’ve used cannas aqua line quite a bit though. They make some solid nutes.

Also what kinds of microgreens do you grow?

3 Likes

Me too! Actually no, I haven’t either but I have ran other canna products (Love BOOST!!!) in the past with great results and after some searching around and chatting with folks the bio line is very close to the OG Canna minus some OMRI certified minerals… I am game to see the difference but hoping for more or less hoping for the same results for the spend.

As per Mircos we are running a lot of brassicas (fast growing, more flavor) so Daikon, Mustard, Pak Choi, Rappini and some others. Last pass through on that rack (likely the one in the picture) was Amaranth, Arugula, Brown Mustard and Garlic Chive. Some favorites are Coriander/Cilantro, Sugar Pea, Basil, Endive, Daikon, and Onion so far - as we’re always sourcing new seeds much in like cannabis.

Those lil dudes run in Cana Coir, 3 propagation tray method and bottom watered with Reverso-osmo water and no nutes, crops every 8-10 depending on the variety. Some folks up here are selling certain micros for north of $100/lb, we produce them for about $7/lb worth coir, energy, water and eat pretty much everything we produce. Been an excellent investment so far, when factoring harvests against the normal wholesale prices for micros, we paid for the whole farm in a single harvest and runs on less than a dollar per cycle worth of energy. Just got a shipment of new lights to expand the farm maybe soon start taking on some clients and expand the experiment :shushing_face:

5 Likes

That’s really cool, what a variety you’ve got there… haven’t even heard of most of them lol. I did wheat grass years ago for someone else I never liked the taste myself. It’s something I’ll eventually build a rack for, but probably not until I move again…no room here with all the weed lol

I’m surprised you don’t have to add any nutrients at all with the coco. I guess the life cycle is so short they don’t have time to get hungry?

4 Likes

Yeah exactly with an eight-day crop the new growth is mostly driven by the seed’s contents more so than available nutrients. Certain mini greens, veggies and edible flowers we run longer at which point we often need a small dilution of Kelp and RO water to keep them happy for a more few days but at really low concentrations, intermittently and only mid-cycle so that even that can be flushed.

6 Likes

Edible flowers too? That’s so cool. I used to eat some calendulas and other flowers I grew but it’s been a while. I did snack on some forget me nots out in the yard the other day haha

4 Likes

Yeah there is lots of good ones to cap your micro farm or garden with! Calendulas, Nasturtiums, Borage are commonly grown as high end produce but we like a lot of flowers for the pollinators in the garden so un-eaten plants head out to pasture there. A lot of vegetables like squash, cucumbers and herb blossoms like mint, lemon balm and chives are fun too. The “farm” just got a facelift and we are starting fresh, I will likely put together a little micro farm post when things are swinging again soon!

4 Likes

Really cool, I’m looking forward to it :+1:

1 Like

Day 9 from seed

I was a few days behind starting these ladies on nutes, still not feeding up at normal levels as I have them in the micro farm. 1 PK and 1 Blueberry seem to be a bit further behind but hoping that the feed levels ramping up and having them under the big light will jump start them. More to come, thanks for stopping in!

10 Likes

Day 13 FS

Noticed a bit of waviness to the lil ones today as they were trying to tell me something…

I hadn’t checked the levels on the last bit of feed I put together (stupidly) and clearly something was off as they were fed 2 days ago, showing some deficiencies. PH of the last batch of nutes was quite hot and nearly a change of 1.2 ph from the previous feed, and it shows, DOH!

The not so happy Blueberry OG, overall pretty minor but always worse when you can only blame yourself!

I likely overshot. EC, TDS and soil PH all seem like they are reasonable to high so I will apply a generous dose of LITFA until they show other signs of need.

Until then, thanks for stopping by

12 Likes

Evening OGs,

Well the last few days have been busy to say the least :sweat_smile:. With my paperwork sent off to the man for my legal expansion to 50 med + 4 rec plants, it seemed like time to get down to business. After many hours scratching my head and a quick straightening out from @Mr.Sparkle I was able to spec out a ~ 4 x 8 ft LED footprint that won’t break the bank and with the savings I hope to supplement the space with UVA/UVB and Emerson boards from Rapid LED as a part of the expansion. Instead of trying to cram more tents into our tiny space, we started the process of readying the space for a more open layout.

First was insulation (R23 Rockwool) and a 6mm Vapour Barrier

Then it was time for Reflectex (basically bubble wrap sandwiched in between 2 sheets of Mylar)

And then 300 ft of thermal foil tape, my better half @terpwee-z sealing the deal

I built a new HVAC to house my inline carbon and a 6" extractor as well as vent the tent. I will plumb the main stack through the tent once I have my light built and license in hand.

Then we setup the tent again, insulated the floor and placed rigid poly panel over and under the board insulation for a firm easy to clean subfloor.

Finally just in time to get the lil ones into their new home while we ready the rest of the spaceship for a GOV sanctioned Pheno hunt !

22 Likes

thats some nice solid growing space you have going!

2 Likes

Thanks 7!! Finally have a workable fan and a plan for the big ole can!!

1 Like

That’s one fookin awesome space.
Will serve you nicely going forward.
Thanks for taking and posting pics.

3 Likes

Thanks @GramTorino, hoping the plants think so too! Seems to be paying off, was 10 degrees warmer through the dark period last night and still managable during the light period so I think it was not all for not.

3 Likes