Tents full of happiness and love ft. Bodhi and friends

Landscape fabric (may) clog eventually in the pore spaces but isn’t a bad idea. I’ve seen people make raised beds for vegetables out of that heavy duty landscape fabric before and when disassembled the ground they were on stayed fairly clean. Believe it or not though worms can squeeze and migrate through those tiny holes in the fabric with ease and seem to like doing it. Pond filter matting may be another option and possibly better designed for what you’re trying to achieve. Not sure about price comparisons nor am I familiar with those city picker boxes though.

10 Likes

Yeah, it’d be cool to stretch it to two cycles, at least. I doubt you could go much further beyond that without amending, but maybe you could just keep top dressing. I’d worry about everything becoming too compacted eventually?

I think it’d be OK for it get clogged with soil particles, as long as the water molecules still flow through the fabric both ways. I used to have a big raised bed made out of the same felt-like material that they use to Smart Pots and had considered material like that as well. The worms didn’t have a problem doing through that material either. Pond filter is another good consideration, depending on how thick and what materials it is made from.

When I do decide to install something, I’ll be sure to include some pictures of the inside of the boxes and grates. I know it’s pretty hard to visualize without reference.

7 Likes

I purchased my first pack of seeds from them in 2012, Afghan Kush. Memory lane ….

6 Likes

That seems like a valid concern. I really wanna see one of these things in person, just so I can get an idea of what they actually are, how they work etc. I’ve read about them, looked at pictures, but I feel like that doesn’t give me a good enough idea of how they operate. I mean, with the big ones (which I think are 12 gallons?), it seems like you could do a full-on no till kinda thing in them, almost. But from what you’re saying, it doesn’t sound like it.

4 Likes

Lenon skywalker ghostly / triangle kush

4 Likes

Time flys! I think I got these in 2015… I love how seeds are like a time capsule, encapsulating all this information in a tiny shell.

Yeah, you really just have to use 'em a run or two to see what they’re about. I mean pictures can only go so far. The big City Pickers hold maybe 10-12 gallons of soil, and you can definitely get a few runs from them, but I don’t think you could really accomplish a true no-till scenario, IMO. I was watching a Q&A with Jeremy at BAS and some dude in Hawaii ran his like 5-6 runs without dumping, so you could as least get that far… maybe I’ll go further after putting in the fabric and see what happens.

haha welcome to OG dude… you may wanna stop by this thread… unless you’re Boron dude.

6 Likes

In my diy sips the whole floor/reservoir is vermiculite and landscaping hose. I’m going to no till them for a while, but honestly im going to move to smaller sips of a similar diy style. I can report back on the condition of the floor/reservoir after I dump.

Many diy designs are similar to EBs and CPs, but use the lid of the tub as a floor with hundreds of smaller home drilled. Landscape fabric seems like a good idea that I may try in my EBs. It didn’t even dawn on me that there would be a diminished reservoir with all that soil and worms that ends up down there.:bulb:

10 Likes

7 Likes

Haha! It took every fiber of my being to hold back and not comment on that post. Seriously, I sooooo wanted to tear someone a new asshole. But I didn’t… And I’m proud of myself for that haha.

@CrunchBerries I would “join” y’all (and Emperor Palpatine)(is that his name? Palpatine?), the SIP’s thing sounds good, but, as I’ve mentioned many times before, they just take up too much room. And since I only have access to the front of my tent, it’s just not doable. I dunno how I’d get to the SIPs in the back of my tent, other than, like, walking all over shit haha.

8 Likes

im proud of you too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I fucking love that bit, so funny. Portlandia is for sure one of my favorite shows ever. In fact, I think I’m gonna blaze a j of that Soar and spend the day re-watching the series for the eightieth time. Thanks, @BeagleZ! I really was sitting here being like,”Pssshhhh… Okay… What am I gonna do today…?” But getting baked and re-watching Portlandia sounds good to me.

8 Likes

I wish we were neighbors

10 Likes

You say that now, but when it’s 3am on a Tuesday and we’re cranking Jane’s Addiction or The Dead and me and my friend Natalie or May Ling or whoever are sitting in the backyard arguing about who “the best” writer is or how much social media sucks or whatever… I haven’t seen either of my neighbors in weeks and I’m pretty sure there’s a reason for that haha.

7 Likes

sounds like my kind of firepit lol

7 Likes

haha, don’t feed the trolls!! But yeah, sometimes you have to unleash on someone.

Lol, that episode was hilarious.

I really wanna go back and watch it now that I’ve been in Portland almost a year. I’m sure there’s a shit ton of stuff I missed, just from not having lived here when I first watched it, inside jokes and shit.

Doesn’t sounds too bad to me either… haha. I haven’t seen my neighbors in a while, they’re hoarders and don’t even live in the house because it’s filled with so much shit… plus they’re a little crazy, so I don’t mind their absence.

10 Likes

Awesome to see you throwing a few plants outside! :slight_smile: That’s very cool. :seedling:

Even if they don’t grow through the fabric, they’ll go down the wicks and into the rez from there. Like @minitiger said, probably easiest to just dump and reset small SIPs like this, so there might be little value in landscaping fabric in that case. There’s not enough volume for notill to be worthwhile over time in small SIPs like Earthboxes and City Pickers, and it does become too compacted over time according to Jeremy @ Buildasoil. He never had as nice of plants in the notill EBs compared to the reset EBs when doing clone runs on his YT videos. Double the size at least for notill (25gal +), imho. And yes, topdressing heavily is a requirement in notill!

This makes me glad Boulder has a weeknight noise law. I’m all for having a good time on the weekend, but I also work for a living and need to sleep. We’ve had disrespectful neighbors like this in the past, and the cops took care of them pretty quickly after multiple houses called the non-emergency line. We didn’t even know this was a thing until the good neighbors told us!

10 Likes

Disrespectful? Relax, dude, I’m just talking shit. We’re not cranking music at 3am on a Tuesday. My girl works, too, she’s in bed by 10 every night. But I do stay up in the backyard and talk with my friends about who the best writers are until 3am haha!

6 Likes

LOL I always assume people are being honest. How am I supposed to know you’re just bragging/lying?

That’s some silly shit!

And, yes, our neighbors were super disrespectful like that. They’d have parties where they would get up on the roof on weeknights, yell at the top of their lungs, and shine lights in our bedroom windows. They’d even bust glass bottles in the street sometimes.

The second time the neighbors called the cops on them, one of them ran shirtless and barefoot out the back of their house, hopped our privacy fence, and when I confronted him to find out wtf he was doing (we were already up cuz of them raising hell), he said he had a warrant and couldn’t go back to jail. He then hopped the chain link fence between us and another neighbor and ran off down the street. This was at 6am. Same guy was back, living in his truck parked in front of that house, a few months later.

It’s neighbors like this (well, to be honest it’s all neighbors) that make me want to move far out of the city so I can’t see, hear, or smell anybody else.

Get off my lawn! lol

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

“Lying”? It’s called,”Making jokes,” dude. I certainly wasn’t trying to “impress” anybody with my “braggy”,”We stay up late talking,” post. Not too sure who’d be impressed by that. A twelve-year-old, maybe…

3 Likes

Well… I guess it’s about time I give some thoughts on all the stuff I’ve been growing recently. I read Schmarmpit’s post this morning an it inspired me, haha.

DLA5 S1 from @Vagabond_Windy

Stinky stuff! Smells like funky cabbage, onions, and burning rubber, with a tad bit of mint on the backend of her. The taste comes through nicely on the smoke, but fortunately doesn’t taste like burning rubber, haha. Weird how the smells translate into a good taste. Very, very dense buds, I got a spot of rot in one or two of them. Pretty stoney stuff for me… very good for body relaxation after a long day of hiking or working manual labor. Instantly felt behind my eyes and in my shoulders. I leave this one for evening time, as she’ll put me out if I smoke her during the day. Not much on the mental simulation side of things, but excellent body effects. I like smoking her after dinner and settling in to game or watch some TV. Thanks for letting me try her out Vagabond_Windy!

Fishscale (ECSD X ECSD x Crippy) - from Shoreline Genetics

Very nice nuggy plants that were very easy trim. Smells mostly like chemicals to me, but with some earthy and sour backend. She’ll light up a room when you break up/grind the buds. Effects are pretty middle of the road hybrid for me. I’ll get a little rush at first, that turns to relaxation, leaving me a little tired. I like the taste on this one too, the chemmy-smelling herbs always end up tasting really good in the smoke. Overall and nice and easy plant to grow, could use a little more potency.

Casper OG - Archive Seedbank (Clone from PDX store)

Huge yielding plant, produces huge buds on little tiny fragile lanky stems. Super easy trim as well. The downside is how floppy and weak her stems are. Nice OG smells and tastes coming from this one. Smells like a dank mossy forest with some piney sweetness. I really like this plant - or maybe just OGs in general. The high is really good for me, I get super introspective on OGs, which I like. I feel like I can let my thoughts just roam on endlessly, without care. I wouldn’t say that it is super uplifting, but the high also doesn’t drag me down at the end. Probably not the best for social settings or going out on the town, better for hanging out on the back porch and watching the birds or reading a book. I also tend to get creative ideas when smoking her. Probably going to keep this one in the stable for awhile.

Agent Orange - TGA/SubCool Genetics

A relatively easy plant to grow, though I could have gotten more out of her. This one was in the second round of my non-dumped SIPs and just didn’t get enough food to make her happy. She still yielded ok though. More leafy than all the other plants I grew last round, but still a pretty easy trim. Very nice orange/sweet tangerine peel smell to her that translates very nicely to the smoke. In fact, she’s only getting better as she cures out more. I like the high on this one too, but she’s not super strong at all. Nice good daytime smoke that helps me focus. I get uplifting mental simulating effects, and also helps my tummy out if I may have drank too many beers the day before… which, of course, never happens… ever… :wink: Not sure if I’ll hang on to this one forever, especially with the Forbidden Fruit coming up next, which I am hearing tastes and smells better.

Key Lime Pie - Burning Bush Nurseries

A very pretty and frosty plant - what you’d expect for a Cookies phenotype. Nugs are pretty rock hard, pretty easy trim, although not as easy as I was expecting having grown out other Cookies crosses before. I must say she has a great smell and taste to her - and sometimes that’s what I’m after, instead of effects, but that is rare. She does make really really tasty extracts though. Cookies has a bland high for me, just straight middle of the road, kinda dull feeling… It gets me stoned, just not in the most comfortable way. There’s many other things I enjoy smoking more. Glad I’m trading this one out for some booze from my neighbor :beer:

RudeBoi OG 7 - Archive Seedbank (Clone from PDX store)

Another stupid frosty plant, but this one actually delivers on the effects. This one snuck up on me, cuz I wasn’t expecting much from one of the cheapest clones in their store. Really great nose on this one, that I really can’t describe the best, but I’m thinking her smell mostly comes from the Irene, so if you’ve smelled that cut before you may have some idea. Nice OG flavor with something I can’t pinpoint, sweet smoky kushy… her downside is the yield. She grows very tiny nugs, even towards the tops, kinda reminds me of the Bubba Kush plants I see sometimes. Effects floor me every time though, strong and potent mind bender that can make me lost if I’m not careful. I usually reserve this one for the evenings too, she just makes me too introspective and mentally aloof to smoke during the days, unless I really have nothing to do. Gonna hang on to this one for awhile, but not going to grow her out anytime soon - looking forward to getting to some more hazey and uplifting cultivars.

GG#4 - Josey Wales

This one has been curing out for about 6 months now and just seems to get better and better. I really like the flavor on this one - especially smoking joints. She’s often listed as having “Sativa” effects, I kinda get that. I usually get really amped up after first smoking her, with a rush of energy and mental simulation, but she will quickly put me down after too long or too much. I’d definitely classify her as more of a hybrid in terms of effects. Smells of old leather, coffee, chocolate, and pine forest. I’m onna hang on to this one awhile too, easy trim, nice yielder, and a taste that is hard to beat.

Like I said earlier, I’m getting kinda burnt on the hybrid and stoney effects… I’m really looking forward to growing out this cut of Jack Herer next. I need some balance there. Also coming up next are Double Dosidos ( ikik, more cookies… but this has Face Off OG in it, which I really like, and Dosidos taste pretty good if you have tried it), also have a cut of Cannarado’s Grape Pie and a cut of Forbidden Fruit.

After growing out all these clones though, I’m thinking of moving back to more seed based growing. Like Schmarm said, there’s nothing truly “elite” about any of these clones, and I feel like you could find even more interesting stuff, hunting through seeds. Maybe I’ll pop these Bandaid Haze IX from Doc next… heard that one is a pretty special line…

Y’all have a good weekend!

35 Likes