Testing a Mars 4x4 tent with a Mars FC6500 light

Good morning OG. I have been provided a tent and light from Mars Hydro and have decided to do a little test of the gear prior to my grow. What we will be looking at is the Mars 4X4 tent and FC 6500 Bar light. This is a 650 Watt 8 bar light using Samsung 301B and Osram diodes. I will set the tent up, set up the light, test for light leaks, and take some par readings with my quantum par meter. So let’s get started. This is what we have to work with.

Now the items were packed well. I am a bit confused by the info on the light. When looking at the Mars site it says it draws 680w yet when you look at Amazon or in the manual it says 650w. 650w is in line with the 6500 name it was given.

Mars site. “【High-Quality Efficient LEDs Chips】2688Pcs Best-Selling Samsung LM301B and Osram 660nm LEDs chips, consuming 680w power, High Efficiency Up to 2.8 µmol/J.”

Amazon site. " * MAXIMIZE YIELDS & CROP QUALITY: FC6500 LED growing light with 2688pcs Samsung LM301B & Osram 660nm Diodes, boast the market-leading efficiency 2.8 µmol/J, Max 2.5g yield per wattage with 30% higher Average PPFD,achieve 50% higher yield & quality compared with the old lights! Only consumes 650w,recommend 5x5ft for personal grow, perfect light for 4x4ft flowering."

Defiantly something odd there. Will hook the light up to a Killawatt to see what the actual draw is and report later.

The light came in 2 pieces, the main light and the driver. It took just under 45 min for me to unbox and set up both the tent and light. This was longer than it should have been but I had to hang the light twice. Here is what it looked like with the tent up and using the provided hangers.

Now as you can see they provided 2 hangers, one for each end. They connect to the 2 corners and than to a ratchet cord. I did not like this setup at all. It is a bit unstable and the extra length from the v cables that attach to the light leave the light hanging way to low for me. It basically cuts off 1/3 of the tent. I took the light down and changed to 4 ratchet straps, 1 for each corner, allowing for a much better installation.

As you can see from the pic the 4 ratchet straps raise the light much higher but still leave decent clearance so light is not too close to top of tent. To me this is a much better setup than the one provided.

So far the tent zippers glide well and the tent itself seems like good quality. It was also easy to set up. Tonight I will power up the light, test the power draw, check for light leaks, get some Par readings and report back. One thing to note is the light takes up the whole 4x4. A 5x5 might be a better size for this light but it defiantly does fit in a 4x4 so that is what I will be using. Stay tuned and I will post the results of the tests tonight.

32 Likes

I’ll join along for the grow, I’ve been looking to buy a Fc-e 6500 for a new tent

3 Likes

They had to cut corners somehow. At least you thought better than them and used those corners!

Looking forward to seeing your magic in play :hugs:

2 Likes

In this bitch!

2 Likes

I should also note looking at the pic of the driver it says 600w max, lol. These 3 different numbers are concerning so I will definitely post the actual power draw this evening.

10 Likes

I am taking my seat for the show Doug.
My Spider Farmers came with the same hanging setup. I went to the corners as well. That probably gave me another 10" height from the plants.
The manufacturer must know that is not a well thought out design.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, what they really need to do is provide 4 of those ratchet straps and lose the v ones. The cost would likely be the same or close to it.

1 Like

Following for sure, I’ve been eyeing them pretty hard. Probably gonna save the upgrade till spring though, hid is nice in the winter.

1 Like

I am liking the design. I imagine the spread will be great with this configuration.

2 Likes

Interested to know what that light actually draws for power. Why provide conflicting numbers I see a lot of that happening with led lights ?

1 Like

As do I and it annoys me to no end. I have messaged them showing the conflicting data. I will get an actual number and post it tonight so at least people will know what is correct.

3 Likes

Exciting stuff! Following along for sure. Neat light too, hopefully you get some clarifications on the wattage.

1 Like

Here I am. I will be over here next to @MoBilly watching through my slits of eyes.
Those cable hangers are trash if you are going to grow tall plants. I refashioned the ones I have too.

2 Likes

that is a beast, looks like it comes w/ a dimmer knob so no worries. I just got a 600w light and I’m thinking 5X5 is best, maybe use 4x5 for the plants and leave open space for easier watering. but sounds like is a comp, freebie, so yippee!!

Never been a fan of ratchet cords myself, I like steel chains from the hardware store.

1 Like

That’s fair. I just had so many of those ratchet cords I used them. The light would be better in a 5x5 as it just fit’s the 4x4 but it should be a better spread than my HLG due to the spacing of the LED’s. It does have a dimmer so I will be going more off the Par settings than the wattage on my next grow. Just purchased a new quantum par meter so I can actually get proper readings. Also yes, this light was from the promotion department for me to do a grow under.

1 Like

are you going to put a fan & filter inside the tent as well?

1 Like

Yes, multiple fans and an AC Infinity 6" Fan/Carbon filter.

1 Like

random question - I"m looking at a tent that’s 92 inches tall and my ceiling is 95 inches - is that stupid? :smile: The hydro shop said “no problem”

1 Like

I don’t see why it would be an issue. I wish mine were that tall.

4 Likes

It might be hard to tip it into an upright position from being assembled on the floor? I dunno.

2 Likes