Testing a Sip Bucket with Leftovers

this is soil but sub irigated pots

1 Like

Thank for the clarification, can you please explain this theory or process. I am interested in new ways to grow.

2 Likes

Same request. Most disturbing is seeing the drain holes and the little basket in the center at a time. Also the drain level of the white bucket. The height have an importance ?

2 Likes

The general idea is to have the side hole an inch or so below the soil. You would have a thin layer of air in-between the water and the soil. The soil pulls water up through the "wick’ (net cup in this case) as the plant drinks it in.

The layer of air is important as it causes air pruning and also prevents oversaturation.

Mine is similar in concept. I used those big laundry tubs with the rope handles, pvc pipe and black corrugated drain pipe

Note the holes location about an inch below the top of the black drain pipe. So water won’t go past that hole.

My “wick” in this case would be the entire center part, which i pack very dense so the water doesn’t break it apart… very dense. that is important as you have no wick if this happens.

I noticed it holds about 3 gal before water starts pouring out the side.

I have 2 one is liking it one is LOVING it!
This is a 3x5x7(ish) tent… height will be an issue. You must have headroom for this or get ready to scrog/lst

13 Likes

Sorry op wasn’t trying to hijack your thread. My intention was to be informative of the concept for those asking.

My only questions with the bucket and net cup idea are does the net cup need to be constantly in contact with the water? Do the roots hang down into the water? It may start drinking faster than you can fill it…

3 Likes

its all cool man but i was refered to an other sip thread where im gonna try to update there

1 Like

Nice I’ll check it out as well. Looks right up my alley

2 Likes

Feel free to update on the SIP thread. I encourage community involvement and learning. Can’t learn in a vacuum!!

3 Likes

thanks alot im sorry if i invited my self but i was pointed towards your thread as a general sip thread

1 Like

4 Likes

My hope when starting the thread, was that everyone would share, so we could have a central spot for all things SIP.

3 Likes

if i get a chance ill try to setup my aqua valve in my flood table and figur out a new system for my futur grows

1 Like

This is making me want to go ahead and mess with some DIY SIPs, I have my first autoflower ever as a little seedling now in an old five gallon Dirt Pot fabric pot, and I was looking at it going “that would fit into a 5g bucket I think, what if I slit the bottom open in an X and plonked it on top of a dirt or perlite wick?”. I think I might just go ahead and do it to see how those whole thing goes! I’ve been bottom watering my veg tent this time around and I’m not going back now that I veg in fabric transplanters, the growth and health is so good!

3 Likes

perlite wicks really well
that should work you just gave me an other idea

2 Likes

I don’t think cutting the fabric pot is even necessary tbh

Thanks for your synthetic summary, clear enough to be refreshed fast in the discussion ^^ I got the concept.

Well, i’m more interested than just curiosity now. It can be a great upgrade to my penny-cost system for SOG from seeds : HERE

It’s planned for this year, the time to make enough seeds for it. I like the idea to upgrade it with this concept that i’m just discovering right now (^^ no one’s perfect), but in staying cheap and productive (one shot use). Any idea very welcome.

3 Likes

Each tub cost me around $18 (ish) that was without me trying to save money. That includes the price of all components. I probably could have made something very similar with junk lying around my house. Last year i made em with with home depot buckets.

3 Likes

I just took a look at your thread… man you weren’t kidding. You over there using soda bottles… what a space saver too!

2 Likes

:green_heart: your setup…

Super Simple and the price is super low for what those bad boys are going to be producing…

Yes, for the wick to work properly the net cup would have to touch the bottom of the reservoir.
I can tell you that I have built a few SIP’s and many of them have net cups or similar in them as they are inexpensive and effective.

However, I have been using Perforated Drain Pipe (PDP) like you have in your buckets.
For the ease of DIY and $ I will be staying with PDP.

Hell yes they do… :wink:
There should be so many dang roots when the system is running properly that you will see roots when you look down the fill tube.

I have had plants in flower power through water like nothing else I have seen.
Another benefit of SIP’s are that if the Res runs dry the plant will not suffer. The Sip’s are wet enough to go a bit without water. Of course size of the SIP will depend on how long they can run dry for…

All I got’s to say is once you go SIP you will not go back.
Only problem is getting enough SIP’s set up for the entire grow/grows :wink:

3 Likes

You got the idea now ^^ It’s not so about the money but about maxed density. Initially it was to lower maintenance for high density/fast turn-over selections from seeds, i’m now using it sometimes as “express filling for jars”. The concept only work if the plant don’t stay long inside, around 2 months top.

It’s too sexy to don’t mix that with the concept i’m just discovering lol

2 Likes