10 yrs old seeds TGA space queen

I just found 5 original subcool space qeen beans. Prob is they are about 10 yrs old. What are the odds of these things poppin open?

12 Likes

In skillful hands, probably pretty good. Will you attempt to make more?

8 Likes

I’m just getting back into growing and dont have the room atm but would definitely be interested as long as I dont get all Male or all female.
Seeing as how these are going to be next to impossible to get now that he has passed makes me want to save his backbone strain.
I almost feel like this would be better off done by a more experienced breeder. I know how to grow the stuff but know little about breeding.

6 Likes

I also have some strawberry diesel x AK47 that I got from a breeder friend on the original overgrown site. Maybe I’ll see if anyone here would be interested in breeding the space queen and just sending be some beans so i dont F it up.

8 Likes

You can post in there if you’d like to donate them for a preservation run.

10 Likes

There’s a thread for that: Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups for Preserving

Edit: 50State beat me to the draw.

4 Likes

Thanks guys

3 Likes

Using a nail file or very fine sandpaper, sand down the seed seam along which it splits when it germinates. Soak in warm water for a couple days, use a little jar on top of your wireless router, it usually holds temps around 90F. Most of those seeds should sprout if they’ve been stored well. Sow as soon as you see the seed split and the tail begin to emerge. Be careful, they might limp a bit at first.

11 Likes

If it’s all male or female no grower or breeder would be able to preserve the strain as it was. Skill wouldn’t matter.

But If you get a mix to pop remove the mutants and plan an open filial polination. The idea being to avoid creating bottlenecks for reasons other than improving the breed. Selection can come after seeds are plentiful.

I would love to see Space Queen shared and traded in the community. I am tempted.

10 Likes

I have plenty of room if you need a hand .
If you find a keeper please don’t let her die .
Heat mat plate wet paper towel with a heat mat thermostat and put the bean in a Tylenol bottle with sand paper on the inside of the outer diameter works for those harder beans.
I would love to see pics when it gets going.

3 Likes

Hey @Hugh_Glass welcome to Overgrow after some time and participation you will be welcome to join in on the preservation fun until then enjoy the site lots of cool stuff happening every day

4 Likes

Man, it’s my sad duty to inform everyone that the SQ seeds @anon81143130 sent for the run arrived totally crushed. :cry: I didn’t think to ask him about packaging up front, and by the time I thought about it, he’d already sent them. I know better than that too, I’ve seen too many crushed seeds, so that one’s on me. It’s a complete drag, I was really excited to grow these out.

There are bound to be more out there. Maybe someone will see this, and have pity on us. :slight_smile:

Thanks again to @anon81143130 for his generosity.

4 Likes

Major Bummer! :scream:
Wow sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to that project…

G

2 Likes

That sucks after the wild fires and his death thats something his community would of like to be had.

4 Likes

I think the tension between the risk of publishing shipping methods and the social weight of insulting trading partners is causing this sort of failure far more often than it needs to happen.
Can we make a seed sending check-sheet that includes a reminder?

11 Likes

That’s was definitely on me for just putting them in an envelope. I honestly thought wrapping them in a tissue and paper would have been enough.

5 Likes

The roller machines that sort the letters are straight ruthless.

6 Likes

I find a Bic ink pen works great

6 Likes

These work well…and cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/JIUWU-Centrifuge-Tubes-Bottom-Plastic/dp/B00NIBGDO0/ref=lp_318098011_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1589414318&sr=1-10

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be too thick for an envelope or are you doing something clever?

Cheers
G

4 Likes