THCV breeding project

I appreciate the feedback. As far as pain meds Gpas started talking to me and we didn’t finish the conversation. I’ll await the path where I can get my American friends some THCV.

7 Likes

I will be back in the country in a few days.

It is hard to do anything on my phone and everything else is at home. It might take a bit to get thru all my notifications for a two week period.

:green_heart::seedling:

10 Likes

I can’t find it now, but I saw a chromatogram report of ABC x NL5 that said something like 0.5-2% THCV. It makes sense, a lot of internet theorizing about the origins of ABC in Victoria and NSW are imported hemp from south east Asia (probably Thailand), it has a stereotypical sativa phenotype with stretchy stick bud, no skunk but more citrus terpene profile, and a stimulating bud effect. the csih ibl is probably only 7-12% THC but a few generations of THCsynthase inbreeding and im sure it would be less hemp like. It would probably be a lot of work, but breeding for high THCV with SEA and African stimulating strong “breakfast weed” landraces into the cold resistance of southeast aus ABC would make for an interesting project - whether it had mutant leaf or not, the lineages and goals and characteristics seem compatible.

Wish that Free The V project didnt stall, seems exciting with that special long autoflower trait. Lots of good suggestions here to start with though! It’s awesome to see so much interest in THCV.

8 Likes

I saw recently on Floyd’s blog that he was saying he did the Seattle Chronic THCV seeds and others white label for them and they’re homies

2 Likes

Ya good suite @TexasRoadkillSkunk, simply pure NLDs quest and cross fire! :wink:

I look forward to test my Atao strains in near future and compare THC:THC-V ratios, that’s what i’m focused since 10 years so i know it’s there. THC-V and its combos is one of the next medicine revolution because it can kills cancer seriously and also help psychiatric or neurodegenerative diseases. All is question of dose because it can be also mind dangerous i think! Cheers ^^

6 Likes

Tibetan x African
Actual Sativa
breed by Actual Seeds
This is actual?
@TestOfOath want to do preservation Kalamata Red.

Kalamata Red from kwikseeds modern?

4 Likes

Has anyone noticed any extra amber trichomes on THCV plants?

3 Likes

Do you mean amber trichs showing early in the flowering period? Haven’t noticed anything unusual with trich colors with the different v strains I’m running.

4 Likes

Yes, not withered trichs but amber and clear.
Supposed to be a sign of THCV.

More on this subject here…

6 Likes

I haven’t dove into the True Early Amber info but so far sounds interesting. I can’t seem to find RM3’s reference to THCV though, do you have any direct links to his content regarding this? The quote you have in that microscopy link sounds like he’s just speculating.

Also, I’m still confused on why THCV is often referenced as a “trippy cannabinoid” when everything I’ve come across states that it’s non psychoactive (at least in small to moderate doses).

The main advantage of THCV over THC is the lack of psychoactive effects. In rodent studies, THCV decreases appetite, increases satiety, and up-regulates energy metabolism, making it a clinically useful remedy for weight loss and management of obesity and type 2 diabetic patients. The distinctions between THCV and THC in terms of glycemic control, glucose metabolism, and energy regulation have been demonstrated in previous studies. Also, the effect of THCV on dyslipidemia and glycemic control in type 2 diabetics showed reduced fasting plasma glucose concentration when compared to a placebo group.

9 Likes

Maybe it’s a different cannabinoid that they haven’t isolated yet that is usually occurs with thcv and they just associates them together because I’ve heard of 160+ cannabinoids and I only here talk of like 7-8 just guessing off the top of my head so there is still a whole lot going on we just don’t know about yet :slight_smile: happy hunting

8 Likes

I agree! That’s actually more along the lines I’ve been thinking. Reading about THCP where it’s like 30% stronger than THC makes some possible sense but that’s one we know very little about or where/how to identify it.

My main interest in THCV though is more related to all the other potential benefits it might be able to offer, it really does sound amazing.

I only made the above statement though because I’ve read many conclusions about THCV being potent from a psychoactive perspective but I’ve never found anything conclusive from science and my personal experience smoking THCV is that it doesn’t really get me high. It most definitely enhanced my mood and provided some clear focus though.

Admittedly THCV is a strange one though as it seems it can be an inverse agonist / selective antagonist and it is dependent on dosage apparently:

Unlike THC, which is psychoactive and an agonist at the CB1 and CB2 receptors, THCV is a non-psychoactive, neutral CB1 antagonist / reverse agonist and may act as agonist or antagonist at the CB2 receptors depending on its dose. It is thought that THCV prevents the psychological effects of THC however; the mechanism by which THCV antagonizes the effect of THC is unknown. Also unlike THC, THCV produces hypophagic effects in both fasted and non-fasted mice (Riedel et al. 2009). It follows that THCV has great potential for the management of obesity.

8 Likes

That’s the first I’ve heard of thcp interesting… I too heard about thcv being breed into strains to take away the “munchies” effect and I’ve also heard guys saying that it can be found in sea strains and such associating it with “trip weed” but it’s hit or miss with that so I never put no serious thought into it but after that I think you’re on to something bro @deeez99 that’s killer work bro , is it possible to get them to “look” for cannabinoids that aren’t the norm and how do they go about finding all the others? That’s one hell of a task :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m really not sure how the process works with singling out new cannabinoids. The only available tool that I’m aware of for a layman like myself for identifying some of the more common ones is TLC. But this testing tool has it’s limits.

7 Likes

this is the list of the ones in wv that they test for. Current-list-of-Registerable-Allowable-and-Un-Registerable-Unallowable-Hemp-Products.pdf (252.0 KB)
13 allowed to grow and i think 57 not allowed. out of the 160 or is there more than that? i want to try to breed the thc out of it so i can legally grow it without putting up a million dollars. industrial cannabis can be grown for $400 for my 2 acres. i smoked some this morning and it wasn’t bad, like mids we used to get. if thcv is good for inflammation and weight loss/diabetes management, then wv is the place it needs to be grown.

3 Likes

No I do not, and yes, he was speculating.

Others have stated this, I have no science to back up the statement, although I have not searched.
I can not be sure it is true.
Maybe it has a synergistic effect with THC-A or another cannabinoid.
All just guesses really.

2 Likes

THCV is usually trippy. Sometimes dark trippy.
It all comes down to the other agonists / antagonists like terps, CBD, THC, etc.

I describe the general effect like a small bit of coke on a small bit of mushies. Not at all hungry, active, and activated.
JTR was the darkest trip. Myself and the guy i got the cut from both found we cant smoke it too much because it messes with your psyche, makes you dark.
A Skunk pheno with 1-2% was the most pleasant, like micro dosing L. Bright, sunshine, happy, permagrin.

Never had any samples that gave me the munchies or a hard narcotic stone.

Some of whats on the market as thcv isolate started as another cannabinoid and science was used to make it into thcv, similar to how you can make cbd into thc.

Thcv strains dont need to be 16 weekers, there are plenty of 7 weekers that make thcv, like Paki, or GoldenGoddess.

9 Likes

I see a pearl like color in the early resin of my THCV strain.

1 Like

Any updates to breeding projects?

1 Like

mine sort of went tits up for this year. not a huge deal anyway as it was a pretty good test, and now i know a few things not to do. i’ll be going again in the fall so as to not lose next year. hopefully…

1 Like