THE ARENA: Where plants try to live

Hi all.

Got myself a little half-ass grow box thrown together and want to share what I’ve got going on in it. The box is tall enough to do the full cycle if I add another couple lights or a new light altogether. I’m totally not set up completely to start a crop, but I can make it work, so figure what the hell.

I’ve got 2 White Widow, 2 Diesel Moonshine - freebies from Seedsmans order. One mystery bag seed and three crosses of BC Mango X BC Night Nurse (Accident a relative had) I’ve been sleeping for several years, but once I can get this dialed in over the next several months/3-20 grows I’d like to pop some other seeds I’ve got that I don’t want to jeopardize just yet.

If anyone sees something, knows something or just wants to fire off a sarcastic remark, let em fly. All are welcome.

So here’s what I have going on in my lil veg tent. I’m calling it the ARENA.

Room/Tent set up:

Climate zone: 33° N, 117° W
Time of Year: Late-Summer (Mid-August plant date)
Type of Grow: Indoor
Medium: Soil
Seed/Clone: Seed. Then clones from love affairs

VEG/CLONE
(16” deep x 48” wide x 45.5” tall)
Frame is made with two old wooden artist canvases for the top and bottom. 2x2’s for supports between them. Entire thing is wrapped twice with the heaviest tarp I could find. Bottom of one canvas that acts as the floor of the box is covered in linoleum in a tray fashion. Interior is covered in white vinyl sticker. Since the lights are on 24/7 the front opening is loosely covered with a black tarp, but mostly open since it isn’t completely secure.

Light: 2 single t5(germ/veg/clone)
Air Flow: 2 4” 15 watt fans.
Pot Size: 32ounce Yogurt containers with holes in the bottom
Medium: Laundry list of stuff (Mix should be below)
Nutrients: Come from soil and compost tea
Pruning: Low Stress Training (LST). Will top if it looks like it will need it. Most of the time I top.
C02: Voice activated (Awesome singing voice. NOT!))
Pest Control: Nothing yet. There are amendments in the soil that should help, but if need neem oil through a fine mister and this product called Annihilation. I’ll ask at the grow store, since it’s new, but worked really well on the aphids in both my garden and the family one.

FLOWER: (This isn’t ready, but it’s where it’s at)
(34” deep x 54” wide x 75” tall) Larger gray box next to the other in the photo above.
This can eventually be used for Veg room but I might just dismantle it and build three walls and use the rafters with plywood for the ceiling. New improved size (16’ deep x 16’ wide x 7’ tall).

The frame is made using PVC pipe and connectors. The three piece elbow connectors were hard to find at home depot, but are easy to use. The entire thing is just put together with pressure, no glue, then completely covered again by two of the heaviest and thickest tarps I was able to find. The door is a smaller tarp folded in half which will be velcro’d down the sides, top and bottom then split in half with an attachable zipper dividing it from the center. This makes it easy to get into the entire grow if needed.

Light: 2 or 4 600w HPS or LEDs. Some good info floating around on LEDs here on OG.
Air Flow: Probably a 12" for intake and 16-18" for exhaust
Pot Size: Wife is making square fabric pots. Right now they measure 11" square bottom and 13" in height, so probably 3 gallons finished. I’ll post some photos once we have one with soil it. We might also make them a bit smaller or slightly larger to accommodate the space better.
Medium: Will use a super mix that’s cooking for the last month already.
Nutrients: Compost tea and eventually some FFJ.
Pruning: None yet.
C02: None until upgrade
Pest Control: what ever is necessary

Compost Tea set up:

Container:

30 gallon plastic trash can (the gray kind with two handles) 3-5 five gallon buckets with cloth over them to let city water sit outdoors for a couple days before adding to tea brewing.

Air Pump:

Elemental Solutions, Commercial O2 pump, 951 GPH

Substrate:

This depends on what my plants look like and in what phase they are growing. I usually break it into two categories Veg/Flower, but the recipes vary for each like I said. These ingredients usually come in larger bags/boxes for the grower at my scale, but will go a very long way, a couple seasons at least… if not more.

The tea is brewing 24/7. I like to call it done when it has a really rich and earthy soil smell to it. My kids and I look at the stuff under a microscope. It’s crawling with things. Very fascinating. At our house we also have a vegetable garden and a portion of it growing using straw bales. These compost teas are great to add to them and then as a bonus, I’ll wrap up a handfull of composting straw in cheese cloth and hang it in the tea for a few days. Is it really a bonus? I’m not sure, but it’s fun to mess around with this stuff. My kids love it too!

Here are a couple pics of that status of what is happening and some notes since the day they were put in the RWcubes.

the four clones are from the plants outdoors. The clone closest fell over, so it didn’t make it.

Here’s the mom outside. She has caterpillars. She smells really good.

Here’s ten days after put into cube. You can see the cup in the back. The soil line is pretty low. When I transplant I bury them deep so just the leaves are basically at the top of the container.

Then they are all happy and I can go to sleep if I want.

I try to keep a daily record of what happens and what I do. Here’s what i have, however vague, as of today.

August 13
Put nine seeds into 1” rockwool cubes under two t5’s. Not sure of the bulbs, as they are from a grow that went bad several year ago and markings are gone due to storage. ( 2 - White Widow, 2 - Diesel Moonshine, 3 - (BC Mango x BC NightNurse), 2 - random bag seeds). One of the bag seeds looked really weak. We’ll see.

The rockwool cubes were dipped for about 10-15 seconds each in tap water that had been sitting out for two days. The PH of the solution was brought to 5.5. The cubes were placed a couple inches apart inside a humidity dome and placed about 12” from the light. There is also a small 4” fan that blows below the tray to help keep temps lower than 80degrees. The lights don’t emit enough heat, it’s just the way the grow is set up in the garage. The entire place gets really hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter.

August 16

All seeds are starting to pop out of the top of the rockwool cubes with the exception of the weak bag-seed. I can see it down in the hole starting, but it’s not as vigorous as the others. Since it is starting it will definitely be given a great opportunity to show its colors.
In fact, the Diesel Moonshine from Mosca Seeds (freebies included with a seedsman order) are doing the best and pushing up first. Male or just a strain with stellar vigor? Temp/Humidity are constant at 74-79degrees and 42-50% humidity. Lights have been on 24/7 for three days. They aren’t bright by any means and the light meter used says there isn’t any light at all when held 24” away. Meter says it’s dark? Outside it works well.

August 19
Took 4 clones from the outside garden this morning and added them to humidity dome with the seedlings. It’s running at 76% humidity @ 75f. I took the clones because it dawned on me a couple days ago that this bag seed growing in the ground is looking good. Man it would be terrible if it were great smoke that the wife or I enjoyed and had no access to again. If it’s junk no problem, but with some LST and topping it has turned into a little monster of a bush and smells great and seems resistant to Powdery Mildew, Aphids and everything else that is overtaking the “family garden”.

So around the middle of June, nine clones were taken from this lady and grown inside at night then moved outside during the day for a little over a month, then completely put outside in the dirt.

The mother of the clones looks great -her above- which is attributed to LST and topping. The clones had neither LST or topping, and they are stretching out like crazy. My theory is that the clones kept will grow into bushes as well indoors with LST/topping/sog… The clones are stretching a lot.

AUGUST 20
Indoor: Removed one of the clones. looks like it was too heavy and fell over, pulling the stem free from the rock wool. Three others look really good. They were taken well into flowering, so they have some work ahead of them. They are under the humidity dome and chugging along. Hope at least one of them takes, since it might be smoke worth having around for the wifey and I.

Transplanted 8 seedlings to 32oz yogurt cups. They get a good deep burying so they’re first leaves are just above the top of the container. Each one was at least 3" tall, except for the two white widow’s they were just a little shorter around 2.5" Also the second set of leaves on the widows are extremely small compared to the rest of the babies.

This is the soil mix and measurements the seedlings got put in.

290-310ounces Fox Farms Happy Frog (9 full yogurt cups)
1/2 cup Epsom Salts
small handful of dolomite
2 tablespoons Bat Guano
2 Tablespoons Fish Meal
2 tablespoons Neem Seed Meal
1/2 cup Oyster Shell
1 1/2 cup Alfalfa Meal
3 Cups Worm Castings
30% Chunk Perlite

Mix this up really well with some compost tea to wet it down slightly and get the blood flowing, then plant in it. I don’t cook it or let it sit in the sun for a month. At least not this stuff. By the time they start to use what decomposing elements are available they will be transplanted. They will grow in these until they show their third node then go into fabric pots for the win with soil that has been cooking in the sun and is ready for them.

Outdoor: Entire crop 6 total have been getting a good foliar feeding of a compost tea batch that brews 24/7. One of the plants is much further along in the race than the others and has reacted really well to it. It was in a 25 or 30 gallon pot and hurting so it got a plot of its own. Since the transplant it is really happy. I’ve also been picking off caterpillars and their eggs with a safety pin the last couple days.

Found a neat little lady bug or mealy worm that was fuzzy white on top and black on the bottom. Quick google search revealed it’s a beni!!! If leaves fall off they are collected and thrown in the waste bin. No pruning anymore, just letting nature do her thing.

AUGUST 22
Outdoor: All is well. Foliar fed this morning. It was extremely humid last night. Everything was covered in dew or damp/wet this morning.

Indoor: Seedlings look a little yellow as if they are not getting enough nitrogen, however they have all grown in height and stretched up with the second set leaves, with the exception of the widows. Clones look like they are content. Lights are about 4" from clones and 1" maybe 2" from the seedlings.

AUGUST 23
Indoor: Checked temps and misted clones a couple times.

Outdoor: Watered in compost tea then picked about 60 caterpillars from between the buds. The main budding plant is infested but not damaged yet. Get some spray tomorrow.

AUGUST 24
Indoor: Checked that nothing is burning from transplant. All of them are starting to turn a slightly darker green. No water yet, pots still weight heavy enough. Maybe in a couple days they can have a light watering with a little CT.

Outdoor: Got to the grow shop first thing this morning for some Caterpillar Killer. Probably spent a solid two hours yesterday morning, then again in the evening with my wife for another couple hours removing caterpillars by hand with safety pins. There are two different kinds that I can identify. One is the very common Cabbage Looper which turn the same green color as the leaves, making them very hard to find. It’s easier to find they by locating their poop, which is dark brown/blackish and rests on the leaves. The others are the swallow tail butterfly I believe. Here’s a link to these things. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Papilio_xuthus They are really small inside of the buds. There are holes where some of them have burrowed into the calyx’s. Headed over to the hardware store to get some bug netting. Read it’s a good remedy to completely block any bug from landing on the plants. Coffee grounds, cinnamon, neem meal, oyster shell dispersed around the perimeter to deter the crawlers.

AUGUST 25
Indoor: Temps are sitting at a constant 79 and humidity is pretty steady at 54%. Each plant is much darker and looks very happy. Added a bluetooth speaker in with the kiddos so they have some tunes while they’re all alone. The three clones that made it are looking fine. They were pretty far into flower when I took them the other day, so no roots showing, but all three are upright and fairly happy.

AUGUST 26
Took a trip up north for the day. Didn’t really spend much time with my girlfriends today.

Outdoor: Gave the girls some compost tea and picked off a couple caterpillars. Told them they all looked really beautiful and to have a great day. Hopefully the sun came out for a stint today?

Indoor: Seedlings are looking really healthy and green. This morning the temps were standard, so nothing new. The pots/yogurt containers were feeling wet enough, so I thought tomorrow would be fine to water them in the morning. Nope. Just gave them a couple ounces each to help them through the night. Temp tonight is 84F with 54% humidity. Seems like that’s been standard for the past few nights. Really need to add the ducting to the intake.

I’ll edit tomorrow and add pics for these. I’m tired.
And with that. Welcome to the Arena!

11 Likes

Put together a small jar of FFJ with some banana, fig and plum. It’s sitting under the shelf in the dark. Nothing happened really, just talked to the keiki’s and played them some music. Music is on 24/7 around my house. Also, all the seedlings got names a couple days ago. I don’t know who is who and won’t until they show sex, then I’ll know if the names are right. their names are on a separate tag behind the first one.

Not going to report on the outdoor anymore. at least not in this thread.

Nothing really happened inside. One of the Moonshine and a WW are a little yellow. Mystery seed looks like she has some ducks foot in her and I’m hesitant to keep it around. Decided to do a little stressing test so the mystery seedling got a good dose of CT last night before closing the box up because she was looking a little weak and flimsy.

She’s standing tall and proud this morning. Just a small breeze is constantly blowing and most of the seedlings are handling it well, but she looked a little tired.

This moonshine is a little yellower than the rest.

I could be being totally anal? Keeping an eye on them of course.

This is one of the BCMango x BCNightNurse. The stems on all three are purple, all seedlings in same soil mix, water… so its probably a trait. This one is slightly yellowing on the new growth. I’m not too concerned since they are young.

3 Likes

So what strain is the outdoor plant? Those caterpillars look bad, you can’t even see them.

I’m another big fan of Down To Earth, I love the Seabird Guano for flowering.

@Muleskinner not sure of the strain. It came from a friend who didn’t know either. Gave me three seeds, two popped, one was male.

This stuff is helping to take care of the caterpillars.

Only applied it once so far and having pretty good results. Not everyone of them is dead or gone, but they are disappearing slowly.

My local grow shop carries all the DTE products. I want them all to have the tuckable tops. :wink:

1 Like

agree, seems like they waste a lot of cardboard on the box too! Their blended fertilizers are excellent, any of them will deliver very flavorful produce. They don’t burn easily either - I switched from using Espoma blends (Plant tone, bio tone etc) to DTE and it’s much harder to burn them with DTE.

also, a trick I learned from a tomato grower is to take a plastic water gallon jug, and cut both ends off. Then you put the cylinder around the trunk (base) of the plant. keeps a lot of the bugs off.

2 Likes

Here’s some stuff that gets’ used often.

Some 20ml syringes. work great for injecting cloning gel into your medium of transplant choice. Also good for PHing and other random stuff. There’s some Neem Oil, an old film canister with some sand paper inside it. Drop a few seeds and scuff em up a little. Wire ties, extra stuff for misc needs. The jar has seeds for eating as well. just a couple silicon packs in there to keep out moisture. The little blue box is a paper PH tester as a back up if batteries fail.

trimmers, a loop, ph up/down, ph tester, some oatmeal if i’m really hungry?? that cheap soil gizmo.

Nothing fancy, but it gets used.

3 Likes

Just the usual watching them grow. nothing in the last few days is new other than we’re having a heat wave and humidity is out the roof…

However, I did check the lil clones and here’s what they have going on today.
Some other pics of the lil ladies too and the best I could get of some microscope close-ups of the compost tea/nutrient tea/it probably isn’t tea.

They are all doing well. Got a few fans blasting them 24/7.

Healthier of the two clones. There were four taken originally. One tipped over because the transplanter didn’t push it far enough into the cube. Another was found in the dome trying to get along with scales. It was a doomed relationship and they split up.

Not the most amazing little roots, but in the dirt it goes.

This is lady already in flower. Pretty sure they were taken on the 19th Aug. Exactly 14 days today. I imagine roots started popping yesterday or the day before?

It’s still smelling like dirt, so it must be doing something. Not using CT on the indoor yet, just the OD and the family garden and front yard.

Cheers. Hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend for those of you enjoying it.

8 Likes

Everything got a good drenching this morning with some good ol water. Mystery plant is really thirsty as well as the moonshines.

White Widows are chugging along.

Mystery is doing well too. Was vacuuming the space and sucked some leaves into the hose.

BC’s are doing fine. They look spotty to me, and I don’t really care about them that much, but will be fun to see what they make. From now on going to stick to known seeds. Just a safer bet and known variables are easier to pin down.

Couldn’t find any threads online, yet, with information about this strain as it grows. The top one is obviously hungry.

Starting up another batch of compost tea this afternoon. Cleaned out the gear really good, bubbled pure H20 for a solid 48 hours in the can. Going with a Kelp, guano, fish mix plus a couple other small things for a overall compost usable on everything. Shooting for rich. Last batch didn’t seem correct and possibly went anaerobic?

5 Likes

Same ol waiting game. Put 9 babies in 2 gallon square pots. Good deal on amazon. Link below.

One DM is looking weird compared to the rest. My mystery seed is girth, but always looks thirsty. Finicky I suppose. Widows are “cute” little plants. Stocky and moving right along. Probably going to top the other three BC crosses and start some LST on them.

Hit a financial speed bump so new lights are still on hold. I knew I wasn’t ready but no sweat, just a really long veg period. Lol

This diesel moonshine has a strange way of growing. The leaf stems are ridiculously long. Happy though.

2 BC crosses in back. The ww in front is almost exactly as tall as its brother/sister. No sex showing on anything yet.

In love with this one. Diesel moonshine. It looks super happy and has nice uniform growth pattern. Fingers crossed for a lady.

Depending on how these two widows grow out, they may get put into a room/space all they’re own and grown out much longer.

The mystery seed is doing fine. Always looks thirsty. Let it dry out and it looks thirsty. Just keep an eye on it. No real loss if it doesn’t perform.

And finally, what The Arena is all about. This lil clone is from the outdoor garden. Last of four taken and reverting back to veg really well. The second to last survivor was culled yesterday. Just didn’t have a large enough rootball to warrant transplanting. Gives me an uneven number of pots in the grow, which bugs the shit out of me, but doesn’t matter. Haha.

After a couple weeks battling caterpillars, here’s where the flowering clone was taken from. Used Safer brand BT several times. Molasses and water a couple times. Habanero, garlic spray and finally a mosquito net. Net works the best.

P.S. wish I knew what the strain is outdoors. Love the structure and aroma.

(Pot, Square 2 Gallon, Black Plastic, 1 Dozen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOXEUS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RAsVzbHTYJ0B5)

6 Likes

Those are the pots I use :grin: Sturdy plastic, easy to drill holes for training anchors.

MALES.

Both White Widows, both Diesel Moonshine’s and the Mystery seed are all males. Called a couple dispensaries to see if they want them? No takers, so looks like they get to meet their maker so to speak.

If anyone is in my neck of the woods or knows someone in my neck of the wood who may want them, they are yours. Free! PM me if interested. I’m keeping the pots though.

As for the clone and the three other random X’s they are all female and looking good. No pic though. Cheers!

4 Likes

Changed my tone a bit. Now my challenge is to grow out both the moonshine males and the widow male and make some seeds.
I hadn’t considered making seeds, but if I’m successful there should be some shareable love…For my situation it is best to grow out several of one strain and keep the best pheno for cloning.

Here are two of the Moonshines. Two free seeds. Both male and definitely different phenos. One of the left is absolutely “handsome”! right photo shows difference.

How different the leaves are? One Sativa heavy, other Indica leaning???

They got topped tonight then I took some photos, so it doesn’t show how many nodes there were on the one on the left above, but it was nearly every node and each had balls/claws starting.

These lil bulges are kinda interesting characteristic on the BC crosses. Two were females so they got some Supercropping yesterday and tied down as well as topped. I’m new at this still and think I went overboard, which is why there is bamboo holding one of the up.

Clone from the outdoor crop is doing well and looks like some new growth is starting, so she’s re-vegging.

One of the White Widows had cajones all over it, so it got topped. He’s the keeper. The other one is only showing in one place, there is only one “ball” and it doesn’t quite look like a claw yet, but no pistil either. Thought there was a pic? Maybe update later…

5 Likes

Hi all. I’ve a sickly looking baby here, that could use way more than just my help. Initially my thought is that my PH is way off, but also possibly a nitrogen overdose?

Leaves are very dark green, almost blue with a definite blue hue to them. I know some of the older leaves were normal to die off, but some of the newer leaves look like they are really dry and the dead parts resembled rusty metal.

Only feeding she’s had is some fermented male cannabis leaves/aloe with LAB, mixed with aerated water. Soil is FF ocean/happyfrog/worm castings, neem meal, oyster shell, some guano and alfalfa meal. Little extra perlite added for drainage. Under 24 hours of 6 rack t5s. So nothing special going on in there really. Plants outside are doing fine in same mix with almost same care aside from ferment is plum/fig based.

Cheers.

2 Likes

How long has the clone been in reveg…

2 Likes

What’s your light cycle, temps and humidity like? Can’t quite tell on the monitor!

She doesn’t look that bad too me. I’d say just let her be for a week or two, don’t feed or train her, just plain water and love. Different plants act differently during re-veg, and the growth can look strange for awhile. Some strains won’t re-veg at all. Good luck🍀

2 Likes

She was taken Aug 19 @GrapeApe from outside crop. Four originally, but she’s the only one that made it.

@Tinytuttle oddly enough 24/7, to help ensure she transitions. Temps have been all over the place. Night time it’s in low 60f and during day as high as 91f. Way too hot. Which now I think that’s more the issue. Soil is damp and not waterlogged. Seems like humidity is pretty consistent at 40-60% fluxuation.

@HERBrastafari I think that’s the plan now. But over night some of the discoloration returned. The overall vigor is back a bit, so alone she is going to be left (yoda speak).

Gonna keep a close eye and get a soil test kit. Thanks guys!
Cheers

As a back up plan, I’m going to try and get this one to revert as well.

5 Likes

Have you checked for bugs? Some of those leaves look like they may have thrips damage to me.

2 Likes

I would like to see some of your micros with the scope, I’v just used a phones camera shot through the eyepiece and posted here on OG!

Have u given any compost/worm tea yet?