The Autopot thread

Not sure if there already was one, but I wanted to make this thread as a general place to talk and learn all things Autopots. Ive been strictly growing in this system for about a year now and have learnt a lot and still have a lot more to lean, but ive been growing my best flower to date with this system and really enjoy the ease of growing it provides once its setup correctly and your plants are established.
Ive always been a bit hesitant about bottom feed systems as I was worried about salt accumulation in the media over time, but it hasnt seemed to be an issue so far. They do say its Extremely important once your plants are put into the system not to top feed at all anymore because of salt accumulation on the upper layer of media, so once my plants are big enough to go into the system, i stop all top feeding.
The two absolute most important things with this system are your choice of media, and your liquid nutrients that will be added to your reservoir. Its critical that you chose a medium that provides great drainage and aeration. I really dont see peat based mediums working will in this system unless heavily amended with perlite or other aeration. Ive been using Fox Farms Coco Loco and its worked very well for me so far, but I think eventually I’ll switch, or atleast experiement with pure coco and perlite atleast in a few pots.
Its also critical to chose high quality liquid nutrients that dissolve well and wont cause any gumming or sticking. After reading up a lot on these systems before purchasing one, my biggest fear was the possibily of the aquavalve that sits in each pot and controls the entire system getting stuck open, draining my rez and completely flooding my grow space. I guess this used to be a pretty common issue with the first gen autopots. Luckily they improved the 2nd generation and switched from 1/4" valves and tubing to 3/8", which really helps with better flow.
I dont want to get too far into how the system works, but its extremely simple and ingenious design. Basically you have a nutrient reservoir hooked to your 3/8" line. It splits and feeds your individual pots that are controlled by this valve that sits in the bottom of each pot base. The valve opens and closes once a certain liquid level is reached in the base. Your plants drink up the nutrient solution as needed, then once the level in the base gets low, the valve will allow more in.

I was really on the fence about this system, so i only bought 1 individual autopot to begin with, but was so pleased with the results I bought 5 more and now have 6 Autopots in my 5x5 flower tent. The system is super easy to modify if you ever want to add more pots to it.
One of my biggest issues ive had so far is trying to grow multiple different strains in 1 generalized system. Every strain feeds a bit different and finishes at different times so i spent some money on a bunch of extra shutoffs and my plan from here on out is to have a nutrient rez and a flushing rez that i can switch between. The plants that finish sooner can get flushed out for a few days before they get chopped. Defiantly not getting into the flushing debate, but i Defiantly feel with these botton feeding systems, flushing your plants out for a few days to a week is benefical.
Hopefully some others can chime in with their experiences because I really cant recommend this system enough. Heres a few pics of my current set up. Got Wedding cake, Dumpster, Deathstar, Chocolope, Cheese candy, and GTTC in the AP’s. Also have a lone Deathcoast that i’ll he hand watering.
Grow on!!!

18 Likes

This is all i run in veg. Once i switch to flower and start seeing pre flowers ill start adding the pk, boost, and some epsom salt.

5 Likes

I started using Autopots in 2018 I think. I started with a 5 pot 6gal and a 25gal reservoir. I have since broken that down to 3 pots in a 2x4. The plants stretch until the roots fill the pot I’ve noticed.

I also have two 3.9 gal setups w/4 pots each. One in a 3x3 and the other in a 2x4.
The 6 gal units are the old 1/4" and the others are all 3/8", I had a bit of a flood one time, saw the error, never have had another issue.

I use Tupur coco or Nectar for the God’s #2 mix and then add a couple cups of perlite to each pot. I have the air pods and have never needed them, my plants are already monster enough lol.

I have used Jack’s, Dynagrow, something else, and Mega Crop. I have had zero issues with mega crop. The tank filter keeps everything out for the most part and you can add an inline for insurance if needed. Jack’s left more shit in the pots than the mega crop so I quit using it.

The mega crop w/bud candy is pretty hard to beat imho.
I start my seeds right in the pot in order to keep from the light shock of using T5s to start and then moving to the big lights. Made a big difference in my seedling success.
I quit growing all other ways since I went to them. I have one full RDWC going now and when it’s finished I’m getting rid of it.

9 Likes

I bet you were growing some monsters in those 6 gallons. I decided to go with the 2 gallons. My idea is smaller plants, quicker harvest, but might switch to the 4 gal. Not sure yet. I really like this Canna line of nutes, but they’re very pricey. Might look into the mega crop down the line.

3 Likes

Following, I’ll contribute soon.

Good thread @douggyfresh420

5 Likes

Just here to watch the dumpster grow :popcorn:

2 Likes

I have been using autopots for about 2-3 years now
I have 4 - 5 gallon xl pots in a 5x5
And 2 - 3.9 gallon plating pots in a 4x4
I use jacks with Tupur gold medium and have zero issues.
Love my autopots
I use 2 wave runners in my reservoirs that run 24/7 to keep my nutrients nice and mixed so that nothing settles at the bottom.
Well about 90% at least lol.
Highly recommend them though.

3 Likes

Ive got a new Dumpster mom started after dealing with mites bad. Once shes big enough ill have cuts headed your way. I didnt forget about you, i promise!

2 Likes

Yes. I run a small submersible pump in my rez as well. I feel its extremely important to keep the rez mixed and well aerated. I also keep a spare rez that i mix my next batch of nutes in. I will mix and aerate this rez for a few days prior to swapping the one thats hooked up and adjust the PH until it remains stable. Right now, putting 10 gallons in my 12 gallon rez will last me about a week in late veg.

2 Likes

Great post @douggyfresh420! I’ve had my autopots for about a year as well and opted for my own on off valves as I didn’t like the ones they have and even swapped out lines for a stiffer line in some places. Later found out that I would be best off also swapping some other parts. So autopot makes a bronze water spigot (push connect to tank) that is much better than the plastic crap. Then up top on the 25 gal reservoirs had the same issue with the caps breaking and opted for all 3/4ths bronze hose end caps for them. At some point I also didn’t like the autopot bags (held too much moisture) and swapped them out for rain science bags so the media would dry back quicker and want water more often. I’m in canna coco bricks with no additives just plain coco coir and using 5 gal rain science bags in the geopot XL system with the round tray bottoms and jaxks 321 nutrients. Still not sure if I like the air base and dome yet as it takes up a decent amount of the pot and makes the water bubble up sometimes but I haven’t done a side by side run to test anything out to figure out the best method for me. The worst thing about these darn autopots is the reservoir legs! Anytime i pick it up they fall out and it’s just such an annoyance lol. The autopots are really great I just wish I wouldn’t have to wait till watering daily to put them in the system because at that rate I’m over vegging and the plants will get too big (52 inch height limit) or like I could setup the autopots now in my 5x5 but it’s day 40 now and only one plant needs watered daily. I’m curious when you guys start using your autopots as well and if I can turn them on sooner. Ive always been told (from ILGM forum yes I know it’s garbage lol) to wait until they want watered every day or every other day as to not overfeed them or cause any issues

I also got my biggest harvest ever with the help of autopots! Chemtek (1 plant) yielded 1.5lbs dry weight and took up a 4x5 space I the 4x8 tent
This is the 3/4ths hose end caps on the 25 gal res

5 Likes

I recently picked up an Autopot at a half price sale, didn’t really need it but thought I’d give it a try. I crammed 4 plants into a 2 x 2 tent, RKS, no problems so far.

4 Likes

Came home late last night to find a bunch of water sitting in my tent. Another one of the cheap ass 3/8 shutoffs has a hairline crack in it. I recently bought 12 of them and 4 have had cracks and leak all over.
Will be swapping all these cheap bastards out asap.

3 Likes

That sucks! I bought my fittings at an old hydro shop across the river from me. I also use small zip ties at every connection in the line. Whenever I do a deep clean, I replace the hoses. That’s about every 3 grows or so for insurance purposes…, it’s cheap. I used to just cut the flared ends and reattach. I also use a heat gun to ensure the seal before I zip tie.

Leaks are no bueno…

3 Likes

Mazard and Sowabunga in 3.9s

3 Likes

Thank You so much for this informative thread! I’m starting my auto-pot journey soon. Definitely along for the ride.

3 Likes

:metal: right on! I look forward to it! I was chatting with another member about her too. I don’t know if you two got the cut from the same place, but if not I’ll run them both and see if they are different

3 Likes

Im still learning as well, but that’s the fun part about this hobby. I think id opt for the geopots if id purchase again though. Same system, just fabric pots instead of plastic. Waaaay more aeration and root pruning with the geopots.

2 Likes

Looks killer dude. I wish i would of went the geopot route. Fabric just makes so much more sense in this type of system. I might get a geopot setup in the near future. I opted for smaller pots (2gal) im not getting nearly the yield as some of you, but less veg time and being able to grow a larger variety of strains is what i opted for. Love my ap’s but they need better QC on their components

3 Likes

Really wish there was atleast a few fellow members on here that’ve had past experience with her. I dont really have much to go off of, but i really like the bud a lot. Shes got this very sweet berry candy type smell and taste. Buzz is very dreamy and light, but sedating. Checks a lot of the boxes for me and I cant wait to see how she does this round in autopot. Already looking much happier and healthier. Just flipped my tent today so its game time!!!

3 Likes

1 week apart between these pics. Ive been pushing them a bit further than i have in the past.

5 Likes