The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Sorry for being a smart ass :sweat_smile:, as they say, curiosity killed the cat|nullxnull, not easy to find out what’s inside a pothead … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Dude you’re in my top 5 of most liked! Guess I’m more of a lurker though since I mostly browse on mobile.

Looking forward to your flower run on those to see them really go.

5 Likes

Now I’ll know when someone calls me something with “chupa” in it it’s not an invitation to dance…:dancer:

:joy:

7 Likes

It’s funny, several growers have told me the same when they see this pic. It’s nice to hear about the experiences of others. In my youth in Spain there was hash, not grass, normally poor quality, except for some divine occasions. I remember one time I was able to smoke Oaxacan hash, from a batch that stopped in Spain on the way to Amsterdam. The best black market hash I’ve ever smoked, and my first experience with Mexican/sativa stuff.
Samples like the one in the pic do not have much aroma, at least to my palate. Dirt/fungus is typical.

4 Likes

A reason i I haven’t attempted it yet. I managed to let my Huixtepec get ruined, which is why i haven’t been raving about it. Put it away a little damp and took out a few nugs mid summer when it was really humid, letting in even moister air, resulting in fuzz. Ruined all of it. I smoked a bowl anyway out of despair and got myself a dry cough. Idiot.

5 Likes

Oaxaca hash. My oh my! Sounds heavenly!

That’s what I remember too. Dirt/ moldy smell…but sometimes the weed was still great tasting. I’d have loved to get some properly treated samples back then.

4 Likes

The deed is done. The males are culled :sob: .

Here’s the final group shots of the Jalisco :mexico: Landrace plants with the males:

A close-up of a “short” and a “tall” female:

Finally the 6x ladies as they enter flower week 6.

Now lights are about to turn off so I’m going to go apply BudBusterPro :wink: :+1:

16 Likes

@Pigeonman Looks like you’ll be done before too long. Fast seed run!

5 Likes

:thinking:

Yes considering it’s a 12 week strain?!

5 Likes

@Pigeonman seed runs go quicker. @Tejas had his Punta Cometa Oaxaca finish very quickly too during a seedrun. Seedless they flowered the advertised length of time( i think?)

4 Likes

My view of landrace strains is always evolving. Pakistani strains were said to have been brought to Mexico in places years ago, before the " contamination era". After growing Peshawar Afghan my eyes have been opened as to what a pure Sativa should/ could look like.
It’s interesting that modern contamination is bad and ancient contamination is an heirloom.

12 Likes

Thanks for this info @Upstate I was curious about this considering everything else about them has been spot on as advertised right down to the initial leaves being fat and wide like a indica, but once flowering was induced all the resulting leaves are thin razors like sativa’s i’ve seen in images. Smells too, which was one of the things I was looking forward to seeing expressed and to my joy it’s happening in :spades: .

5 Likes

Perspective is a funny thing. In 50, 100 years maybe people will be desperately trying to find and preserve “hype” strains of today.

5 Likes

The flashy names are annoying sometimes. Every breeder has their own names for their strains, which seldom say a damn thing about where it came from.

5 Likes

I lived in the mountains for a couple of years, and even there, most of the samples were damaged by poor drying / preservation… But on several occasions I was lucky enough to buy some samples without drying completely… freshly harvested. A little fermented flavor but little, mostly sour/sweet flavor, with a soft floral aroma.
I want to germinate some seeds from that area, but I don’t have free space and they are the longest flowering plants I know… I know of two cases of these plants with 18 months outdoors without artificial light or pollution :exploding_head:

19 Likes

It seems like it wasn’t as big a deal back then. A lot of growers may have bred some Afghan genetics into their NLD landraces to increase yield, but maintained the original chemotype (or one similar enough).
I’m thinking it might be on us, or the next generation of humans, to isolate the genotypes we want and create our own IBLs and strains in general. That’s what I plan to do, once the law changes.

5 Likes

I know a guy… :wink:

5 Likes

@Elchischas told me of 30 week Sativas from Guerrero. That’s incredible! Do they make decent flowers after such a long time? I eagerly await the day you get into these!

7 Likes

It would be an interesting quest, searching for the finishing trigger for such a long flowering variety. If it really takes a year and a half light ain’t it.

5 Likes

From your comments, I think that the good stash is exported to the USA and here we left the inferior qualities… :rofl: There are about 50 seeds, but I don’t know if they are viable or not, normally half of them make it.

5 Likes