The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

The leaves have already narrowed considerably. Am i counting 11 leaflets on one of those plants? Pretty uncommon. May hit 13 leaflets…looking great!

5 Likes

Off we go. Every bean a jumper. Was expecting a lazy day but what a motivator! :joy:

12 Likes

Ye that’s the one that’s kinda different,also it’s two weeks behind the others…which are 7 weeks on Thursday (I’m going to flip them on Thursday) so that one is approx 5 weeks…there growing great and I’ve had them out getting the sun today, no nutes just my fruit tea every two weeks…

15 Likes

I’ve been holding on to the Oaxacan like the One ring for a while now. I need to grow some meds for the wife too and had to work that out between the two tents. All the usual decontamination took a while this year, I was pressed for time.

5 Likes

Wowsa! May I ask what these are? Very vigorous!

@Panamajock

3 Likes

There from a preservation run that @Upstate done

Breeder: Snowhigh Seeds
Donor: #freakers
Grower @Upstate

Snowhigh’s description:

Double Panama Red:

4 females of 2 different Panama Red varieties making it 8 females and 4 males 2 from each variety. The Panama Red Hair variety derives from the BCO lineage originally collected by a collector from a family in Colombia who had preserved several heirloom Colombians and this Panama Red. The Panama Red Hair has red, purple, blue coloring as well as green. Pistils are red when dry and appear white and orange before turning color.

The 74 Panama Red was acquired during a Peace Corp mission to help the peoples of Panama. The variances are there and distinct as this Panama Red’s leaves are more jagged, the stems are more of a green to brick red in appearance depending if a green or red phenotype. Only red phenotypes were used in these pure hybrids. The roots at the base of each plant can produce what looks like thorns, the roots shoot up from the base of the stem and form barbs or thorns, an attribute noted from being grown in the Darien jungle and adapting to its environment.

Some of the plants bleed red sap. The 74 Panama Red also turns red and shades but the plants seem to express the color differently than the Panama Red Hair. The combination of these 2 original Panama Red lines is to collectively combine and preserve the best features of these rare and unique lines. The high is creeper, hypnotic and physical as well as trippy, affecting vision and auditory perceptions. Flowering is 18-24 weeks indoors. With some proper selection one can finish growing the remaining plants to hopefully finish by December outdoors or with a greenhouse or covered area that can extend the growing season.

If you don’t know how these work, read this thread:

About the Seed Runs Co-op warning Read before you participate Seed Runs Co-op

17 Likes

Thank you! One day I’ll manage to get onboard with the freakers.

3 Likes

@Ryan031 this is one of the threads i hang in.

1 Like

I listened to the Heart and Soil podcast about the Peruvian.

The guy seems nice but sweet Jesus has the breeding game slipped if people take him seriously. He got five plants from an 1/8 of unknown weed that he just decides is a landrace because he is in Peru and starts breeding with them. As if Peru has never seen a hybrid. He has no idea if it is even Peruvian. Most of the weed there come from Paraguay or Colombia.

The largest amount of plants I heard he was breeding with was five packs at once. So 50?

I need to quit calling myself a pollen chucker. I am a certified breeder by these standards. Lol. Fuck me. Isn’t this supposed to be the legal scene? What have we come to? “Breeders” working with five bagseed plants?

Hopefully he was lying for legal reasons and actually takes selections from hundreds of seedlings. Not five.

6 Likes

Oaxacan #1

18 Likes

i got some seed yesterday from @Upstate and i decided to try my luck with some
Oaxaca, i put down 2 so ill see what happens.
i for see good times ahead on these.

11 Likes

I flipped the double Panama red today and put them in the greenhouse.
. Approx 7 weeks, one a bit younger.

I’m off for a break, gave them a good watering ,hopefully they be fine when I return …in four or five days

Happy growing

18 Likes

Ok so I promise not to do this daily in the future but I’m so stoked with these I had to one more time.

6 for 6 Thai/Oaxacan

10 of 12 Oaxacan in the light. I will be surprised if the other 2 don’t show up within 12 hours.

The Thai/Oaxacan are different, as expected. All are healthy thus far.

Edit: the second photo is of two Oaxacan. Note how fast they’re climbing.

14 Likes

Meeting the man later…wonder what stuff might be available here…

4 Likes

Ye…I knew it a Cripy, Crispi, Creepy,etc all over South America and Central America.

Whatever…lovely smoke…bit rough ,prob…not cured right…but a lovely hit…
10 Grms …$20![image|666x500](upload://srqCIvPnRSLPoNkJavvOrPxGB0o

That’s the tourist price, couldn’t .jpeg) .

19 Likes

Visit and find out…It’s a place that was run down …t but thankfully since Coronavirus…it’s rebounding…got great vibes…and the folks are so nice…

Old steam engine…used by the United fruit company when Bananas were king…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golfito

12 Likes

Old SilverThai going strong! Number 1 gonna need a bigger everything!!

Also got my new gnat vacuum. Works awesome. Trap and release outdoors. Took out 90 percent of the flying bugs with this tool. Not cheap but worth it.

Check this leaf out.

Now comes the part!!!

16 Likes

Sweet! :+1: How many days in?

3 Likes

Better switch to flower mode lol. These look extra vigorous.

4 Likes

Old Silversides buds can look so different plant to plant. If I didn’t know better I would think they are different Oaxaca plants entirely. I have my original OSS plant flowering now, and without lots of sucker shoots she looks like she will.produce actual buds rather than just loose collections of calyxes.

13 Likes