The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Xenophobia is an ass kicker

10 Likes

I have read that Columbian Black may be a direct descendant of African Black, and that the African Black seeds were possibly brought over by slaves.

It is an interesting topic to explore how pot seeds possibly migrated with peoples, and along trade routes like the Silk Road.

8 Likes

African Rice Reveals Slaves’ Agricultural Heritage - SAPIENS

Article tracking genetics of rice brought to South America by African slaves. The rice was used in rituals for ancestors. The women supposedly hid grains of rice in their hair. Rice and cannabis seed are easily hidden in braids or dreadlocks.

Sorry for posting here but I can’t find your new post on the subject

10 Likes

No worries. It’s the " How did cannabis reach The Americas" thread.

8 Likes

the indigenous peoples of the US originally received cannabis through trade with the native people from farther south in what is now mexico. It was not native to north america, and it does not seem to have documented use in their traditional herbal medicine.

Now to speculate, this seems to imply that there wasn’t a long history of cannabis use in the land north of mexico, and it was introduced with colonization.

If there was a longer tradition of cannabis use there, maybe they simply traded for cannabis buds much like people traded for dried tobacco.

I’d be very intrigued if there was evidence that the inca, maya, or aztec civilizations cultivated cannabis. based on the amount of knowledge we have about their breeding of corn, potatoes, and squash, this seems unlikely.

we know they consumed other hallucinogenic entheogens like shrooms and salvia divinorum, which were gathered rather than cultivated. is it possible they may have consumed wild jungli cannabis/hemp before the introduction of other non-native species by the europeans?

I like @J-Icky 's land bridge migration hypothesis. if cannabis is truly a native plant to south america, that would be my best guess as to how it was originally introduced.

It has been shown that the land bridge migration was a multi-generational process. Nomadic tribes, who were previously thought to be hunter gatherers, actually practiced agriculture and brought plant species with them as they settled in new locations. They even used boats as they moved across the water gapped land bridges. This is one of the reasons there are species which are truly native to both the americas, and asia / europe.

@Upstate
Like I said, I love speculation, I just don’t want people to take plausible inferences as factual information. I think we should use appropriate language for our own ideas that we form based on our own reading or research.

For instance, “hypotheses” or “inferences” or “educated guesses” instead of facts, and “hypothesis” instead of theory. And in referring to these ideas, instead of “it is” or “it was” I would say “it might” or “it may have been”.

10 Likes

That’s also an interesting subject, but as you said better to keep it in the other thread and continue with Central America landrace and heirloom here … :sunglasses:

7 Likes

got a lot from Oaxaca beautiful green spears

that would stone you into the pavement

all the best

Dequilo

5 Likes

Slaves DID, in fact, introduce many plants to “the new world”, Yams and Okra being ONLY two. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray:'s

8 Likes

That is true.

I think people may have misunderstood my post earlier. I was just saying there is not specific factual historical documentation that cannabis was one of the plant species introduced by these populations.

I was trying to make a point about how we discuss history, I wasn’t disagreeing that slaves could have potentially brought cannabis to the new world. I’m just saying it’s best to state outright whether something is factual information from a source we can cite, or whether it is our own independent conclusion or idea.

Interestingly, sweet potatoes are native to the Andes. Potatoes were first cultivated and bred into the forms we now recognize by early south american civilizations. They were introduced to africa, asia, and europe before the european “discovery of the new world.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/01/22/169980441/how-the-sweet-potato-crossed-the-pacific-before-columbus

8 Likes

I was just browsing through another post on here with everyone trying to pinpoint the first “settlement” to bring cannabis to north america. Super interesting when I get the time I’ll read back through it thoroughly, and same with this thread when I get off work . I’m in for the ride. I’ve never grown a land race tbh lol

4 Likes

My friend shared a little of the Malawi she grew with me. Extremely nice high. Absolutely gets you going.

27 Likes

That Malawi looks fantastic! What was the taste?

3 Likes

The Oaxacan seeds are getting started tonight…Panama seeds are taking their time getting here. @dequilo…interested in the Guerrero?

5 Likes

It has a very smooth taste. Nice racy sativa high.

She told me when first jarred it, there was more of a pine smell. Now it has more of a sweet smell.

It dried a little too much. It was reading 52% when I got it. Added a Boveda 62 pack to it. Now at 57%.

Smokes nicer now. Buds do not crumple and the high seems more intense. My oldest son said he could feel the hit run through his body.

8 Likes

Hey, I found it! I’m getting at it a little late but I’ll try and keep up.

I have:

1. random old Mexican seeds from an older hippy type…
  2. panama red seeds from the same guy.

I have gotten one PR up and to flower but lost it. I haven’t had any luck with the Mexi but I only tried once. The guy that gave them to me to try and do better, had one Mexican very sativa plant going that I saw. He lost it to frost as he lives up pretty high in the mountains. He said before he lost it that it reeked of skunk all over his property. So, that has me stoked.

10 Likes

9 of 13 Oaxacan popped so far after 3 days. 2 are small yet, but the others should break ground tomorrow😁

7 Likes

I’m IN, Just put these down for a soak today

16 Likes

I got my hands on some Highland Oaxaca Gold, that the same as Oaxaca? I’m about to start running some Mexican red hair in my current harvest. Also have a black Mexican strain from Sierra Madre mountains. I plan on making more of the red hair if I get any males. Wouldn’t mind sharing updates in this thread

9 Likes

Excellent! Cant wait!

2 Likes

Absolutely join right in! Happy to have you here!
The Mexican Redhair needs no introductions…good find…I’ll keep my fingers crossed you get a male. Yes ,Oaxacan Highland is Oaxacan. Is it from Cryptic Labs? GLG freebie?
What do you know of this Mexican Black? Sounds interesting for sure.

4 Likes