The Church in Hydro

Thanks for the very warm welcome from all.

Here is a picture to entertain you. The Church’s roots at 17 days from a bean with a tail. Slightly stained by the nutes.

8 Likes

@tobedetermined looking good bro you should start your own thread my man!:camera_flash:and post your pics there for me to check out​:popcorn::+1:

3 Likes

I see a mod started one for me . . . sorry for the pic post in introduce . . .

I won’t do a full grow journal this time around - just occasional pics. This grow has baggage. But here is the above view of that plant:

It’s tent mate broke ground 2 days earlier & stretched a bit. And then, since I was being gentle with no nutes the first week & then 1/4 nutes in the 2nd, it got a bit of cal/mag deficiency. This happened on my last grow too so I guess I should hit them with a full dose of cal/mag in the 2nd week. I’m still learning.

It looks like it’s a slightly different pheno by the grow habits & the leaf shape. I’ll see what develops.

90L undercurrent DWC in totes. 360w LED. Filtered tap water. Water temp 72F. EC 0.74. Equal parts of Remo Nutrients - Micro, Grow, Magnifical, VeloKelp.

7 Likes

Hello and welcome. What pH range are you in.

What is the e.c of your water before nutes?

What is your humidity in the room?

Humidity varies. Currently 49%.Morning temp rises to mid-80s. We are just finishing a month long heatwave here. I have opened a furnace (AC) vent into the tent to bring the temps down to mid-70s. It cycles on midday usually so 6 hrs of heat & then 12 hours of pleasant. I upgraded to an 8" exhaust which runs on medium - with no carbon filter. Air in is a 6" fan blowing in a side vent so I do have negative pressure.

EC before nutes was 0.34. 215 ppm @ 7.

1 Like

The Remo nute formula I am using is 70% of their online formulas (this was a Remo recommendation btw). Their formula gradually increases dose each week of veg.

Try to bring up your humidity, maybe spray some water in the area. You could put a bucket with water and a towel half in and half out.

What about pH? Most important for Dwc

1 Like

Holding nicely at 5.8.

2 Likes

I also have an outdoor grow going. White Widow Auto from Crop King. But this is a budget grow so I am using plain potting soil with hydroton added for air/water retention with a light dose of leftover Advanced Nutrients. The kebab stakes were my bird & critter deterrent. I can’t spend $s on this one so what I get, I get.

7 Likes

Welcome to OG TBD, thanks for sharing some pictures. We love pictures :camera_with_flash:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just being lazy. I put a humidifier in the tent now. I fought with my winter grow just to keep it around 50%. It slid down in the 20s without help.

1 Like

The Churches are loving life.

Water temp a little high @ 73.3. Air 74.7F. RH 63%. pH 5.7 (rising slightly) corrected ec 0.81 568 ppm @ 7.0.

I changed res & upped nutes 2 days ago so I am seeing another burst of bushing. Very different plants. Plant # 1 is taller, lighter green with more defined serrations on the leaves with a bit looser nodal spacing. It popped the surface 2 days before its friend. Plant # 2 is smaller (but the main stalk came out on an angle & I let it) with dark leaves, much more compact spacing & almost rounded serrations on some fans. Interesting display of different genotypes.

Week 3 Day 23

tbd

5 Likes

So, I thought the system was really humming along. but while I was out of town for a week on business in a seriously non-cannabis friendly state . . . whack . . . the big hammer of fate pummeled my udwc system.

Some of the Uniseals broke their seal & started flooding the tent. I had my wife on daily ice bottle swap duty & she opened the tent Tuesday morning to 2” of water. And rising. I got a flurry of texts from her & when I could finally break away to call, she was in panic mode. I told her to kill the lower power bar (it wasn’t on the tent floor thankfully). And there was nothing she could do but bail all of the water out below the pipe lines. 90 litres. I would have used my submersible pump but that was too much for her, so she bailed. I owe her for this one.

The light & its timer & the in/out exhaust fans were on a different ‘grid’ so I told her to just leave them on. With the pump unplugged, she plugged the air pump back in as well as the interior circulation fan.

I got home 4 days later. My wife was out so I went right to the tent & I have to admit, that I was stunned. The damn plants had doubled in size. The roots were dangling in the tiny amount of residue water in the bottom of the totes. The whole top 8-9” of root that had been out of the water was hardened but still white. The bottom few inches of root had still been in water & had been feeding the plant during a growth spurt!

I isolated one tank as the culprit (or so I thought), so I transferred its plant into the other tote with its mate. After numerous bailouts & a run to Home Despot, I capped off the offending tank, taking it out of the water path. The little bit of water in the tent I assumed was just from under the totes etc. I filled the res & the now single tank with pH’d water & nuted it to the scheduled level. And hoped for the best.

Well, it still leaks. A very slow leak but a leak.

So, I will have to execute Plan B.

tbd

8 Likes

Industrial accidents are a part of every grow. Even organic soil gardens.

Let us know how Plan B unfolds :wink:

:thumbsup:

1 Like

Plan B is a complete switch to coco. I had been planning to try coco after this grow but since I had a udwc failure, I decided to leap in immediately. The plants are actually very healthy with new growth. They are @ 39 days of germ/veg. Since the roots were somewhat inflexible, I bought 10 gallon bags (Root Pouch), a 50 L bag of Canna Coco & a bag of perlite. A days work & the changeover is done. I will water frequently for a few days to get them used to drier media.

We shall see how it goes. I am planning on staying in veg for another 10 days & then switching to flower - assuming all goes well.

tbd

4 Likes

53 days from seed. 10 days since the switch to 12/12. They are reluctantly starting to flower. Very different expressions of The Church. One plant is small & compact & the other has a spreading canopy. Temp is 81F - 77F. ~60% RH.

They seem to have accepted the upheaval & the switch to coco without a pause. The runoff is around pH 6. EC is .8. I keep trying to nudge it up Franco was growing these at 1.3 with a 5.5 pH in their video but I don’t want to push them since I upended their life a few weeks ago. Slow & sure y’know.

3 Likes

Day 60 and they are stretching . . .

A flower on the big one:

And still not quite flowering on the smaller mutant:

EC is high @ 1.6 pH is around 6. Temps stable in high 70s/low 80s. Stable humidity around 60%.

tbd

6 Likes

10 weeks from planting. The larger ‘bush’ is flowering nicely & it is loaded. The smaller mutant Christmas tree is just starting to flower - finally. I brought the EC down to 1.3 pH wants to live around 6.4. Temps stable in high 70s/low 80s. Stable humidity around 60%. The bush hit 48" but I bent some of the top stems to try to tell it to stop. The small mutant is 34".

tbd

5 Likes

These plants look first rate. Really fine grow going here.

Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Thanks, @99PerCent

I am very pleasantly surprised that they survived the transition from hydro to coco. And not just survived but thrived. I am totally sold on coco as the ideal grow media from this experience. Water with nutes every 2 days & LITFA.

tbd

1 Like