The Ebner Effect on Cannabis seed

I would be interested in using a Monsanto gmo like terminal wheat seed. The seed is sterile. But if this doo-hick was able to sprout the seed there would be more to go on here…

5 Likes

I really have no idea what this will do, but it’s not like UV or radiation (either energetic particles or photons). UV is damaging because the high energy of the photon is great enough to excite electrons enough to strip them from their orbitals. This causes “free radicals”, especially damaging when things like oxygen lose an electron and now have unpaired electrons left to satisfy. Radiation takes on a number of forms – more energetic photons like gamma rays can produce a similar effect.

The effect of an electric field is usually not nearly this intense. It will “polarize” molecules and cause molecular alignment, but unless the polarization is strong enough to literally start ripping molecules apart (with minor stimulation), it is unlikely to cause damage to the DNA that would result in mutations. If it were this strong, you would probably see a discharge glow and smell ozone.

I need to do more reading on the subject to understand what this effect is really doing…

10 Likes

Mark Burch said in his vid that he didn’t think high voltage was all that necessary, but it has occurred to me cannabis may be too tough a seed for my little unit. After all thc is the worlds best naturally derived UV block.
But my screens are closer together by an 1/8th inch from the recommended gap. An eighth of an inch on this scale is significant.

3 Likes

if its able to damage plant dna i certainly wouldnt want to be around it when the thing is engergized.

5 Likes

lol I used to think those EFS units were a joke but man are they effective!
Summer nights on the patio are fun again as you just swing it in the general direction of the droning bloodsucker.
The tiniest puff of smoke and sometimes a short lived red glow and you are pest free,…until the next hapless critter floats your way.

5 Likes

Payback is a bitch😀 sounds rewarding, I hate those things

3 Likes

Can I hang one with a light behind it to attract fungus gnats?
(Tent not big enough to get a full swing at the little #@#$@)

Or perhaps over a bowl of cider vinegar they like,
zapped going for it or drown in bowl.

3 Likes

I have to buy 2 every year…1 for each boy :stuck_out_tongue: Somehow, they get a wire or 2 bent on them though have had a few short out when a mosquito get stuck and have to either dig it out or it’ll zap the one spot til it turns to dust and falls out as tapping it on its side only makes it worse so I imagine, i’ll have lots of parts to do this in the future so i’ll just stock pile them for lots of parts instead of throwing them out lol

Now I will have to read up on this more and follow your results to see if its something I want to try though pretty intrigued at the moment

3 Likes

Now that is a great idea.
Welcome HalfBee and thanks!
Yellow sticky traps are part of my strategy for dealing with these pests.
The EFS I used has a bright yellow frame, I envision putting a bright yellow sheet, hopefully plastic, behind one side and mounting it flat against the wall of my tent.

edit Now that I think about it, the yellow sticky traps are the only yuck factor in my setups.
At first I used to glory over each one of those stupid dots with wings stuck there. But along with those root aphids came fungus gnats and they are big enough to free themselves from the traps sometimes.

2 Likes

Welcome MomOTR!
Definitely pull up a chair then.
I am a sucker for the potential this offers and plan to use this on garden seeds as well.
camelina sativa for oil seed, okra and malabar spinach for veg and rye and hairy vetch for cover crop.
C’mo-on spring!

2 Likes

Hi Doulivebeef and welcome!

If you’ve been following the progress here it stands the only viable plants in this grow are from treated seed.
It would truly be a miracle if this device could terminate the Terminator.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, the EFS will be generating a fair amount of ozone. I have no idea if that would be good or bad, but something to consider in an enclosed space.

3 Likes

Just did a quick check online about ozone production and it seems electrostatic ozone production requires arcing for production. Not to diss your point but these EFS draw 3v. I think the effect of operating these continuously would be more like an air ionizer effect.
Presently I have a high static pressure fan in my tent that passes tent air through 32 oz of activated charcoal on the exit point,
I don’t think the plants would be harmed in my present setup should I try this.
Of greater concern to me would be the effect of using sprays in my tent while this was operating, which means you couldn’t do spraying. Once the plants mature they can be quite a handful to remove from the tent for sprays.
Of course the best alternative plan is to take immediate action once the sticky traps collect flies.
For me that means a 12 hr soak in water and Dawn original dish soap, castile soap can also be used.
A cup of suds per 20 gal seems to work fine followed by a hour rinse/soak, twice per pot.
Then reestablish the mini herd.
My application of the EFS would only be if the traps showed activity in the last month or so of flower when overnight dunking would not be considered. In this case sticky traps could use the help to see you through to harvest.

2 Likes

Ozone generators work from something called silent coronal discharge. Thats not the same as arcing.

https://sciencing.com/how-do-ozone-generators-work-12170488.html

That 3 volts from the batteries is being converted to hi-voltage inside the unit. It will be on the order of several hundred volts at the screens at a minimum, and up to maybe a few thousand. Three volts wont even begin to fry a bug.

And yes - ionizing air (the oxygen anyway) is exactly how you generate ozone :slight_smile:

One benefit of ozone would be odor control. The possible downside is its highly toxic in higher doses - both to plants and humans.

7 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, I did not know this.
I don’t have a spare atm to test but I get no odor from the two plates in the EFG.
Maybe because they are glued between two acetate plates and present only little area to air could possibly be one explanation for this.
I will seal the edges of those plates to prevent any air infiltration.
Thanks again. Good post.

4 Likes

Yes ozone is really good at eating odors, but its probably not the safest stuff. Smells like electricity lol

3 Likes

Remember that cell phone use has been linked to brain tumors and cancers and that people who live under/near hi-voltage transmission lines have also seen higher rates of cancer, and dont forget microwaves cook things, so I wouldnt discount the damage even a weak (compared to gamma, x-rays, etc) field can do over time - especially if there is ozone or other ionization going on. Ionized anything is highly reactive and usually damaging to what ever it reacts with.

I happen to think this whole theory is at least a little ways into tin foil hat territory, especially about reverting genes, but its still fascinating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This concept is quackery with no basis in reality. No offense.

8 Likes

Shhhh mate, I’m looking forward to see his conclution on this experiment.
Now I kinda feel that I made, a brand new tinfoil hat for no reason.

9 Likes

Wow.
There’s so many things wrong with your link it’s hard to find where to start.
The author automatically labels it a “conspiracy theory” as though this were some dastardly scheme to steal your money when in fact, from the link, " Ebner’s plucky son, Daniel, has continued his father’s research. According to one source he has obtained the patent for the technology and made it publicly available."!
How dare the scoundrel! Offer his father’s key work to the world - for free!

Then there’s this gem: “The idea of using a static electric field in order to change gene expression has been studied. In one study, for example, applying an electric field accelerates differentiation but reduces proliferation.”

This is a far cry from inferring that nothing is taking place like this article claims. And if I understand what the words “differentiation” and “proliferation” mean. the (human)cells involved show change and a reduced number of divisions.
Perhaps it’s the frequency they used that differs from my <$20 rig but I am seeing the opposite.
So far 3 of the treated seeds have sprouted and broke surface compared to 0 in the control group.
Again, I used twice the number of seeds for the control. This appears to me to be significant. The 4 I selected for the test were picked using the infallible “eeny, meeny, miney mo” process.

Rather than go on a point by point takedown of the article and the author who seems to be a Big Ag apologist, I’d like it if folks read my posts on the subject and also your link to see who has an axe to grind. So for those still interested in an actual test of this process, rather than a drive by critique, stick around.

Any way here is an update:
OK I messed around with my unit with some design changes. The first run showed some weaknesses I could change quick.
First off, the “on” led was on one side, I want to rotate it 90 degrees so it will be visible regardless of which side is up or down.
Second, it was still too big and soldering to the battery terminals was embarrassingly lazy.
Third, I didn’t show any pics of the interior, mainly because my phone cam is whack. It took 20 shots to get those below.
Here’s how I wired it:

Rig after mods:

More pics later …

6 Likes