Stealth cabinet, DWC, Blue Dream fem Seedsman

Day 6.
Well, so much for my LITFA application.

Calculation of my pool shock concentration in dilute and final application.

60% calcium hypochlorite powder
5ml is 11750mg*0,6=7050mg(actual chlorine)
mixed into 1000ml water , 7.05mg/ml

20ml to 20l(4.4gal) = 7.05mg/l
10ml =3.52mg/l
5ml =1.76mg/l
2.5ml =0,88mg/l

After a res change with tap water and adding 2.5ml of this solution, ORP is approx 570.
Will need some free and total chlorine test strips to keep on top of this fully. Especially later on when root mass and organic load is larger.

jijiandfarmgang on rollitup has been running +600mV, making me suspect that neutralizing chlorine with vitamin C is not needed.

Manicbotanix recommends to maintain 780mV with ~0.5ppm free chlorine, applied every 2 days.

0.88mg/l from the 2.5ml of concentrate solution in addition to tap waters 0.5-1ppm should be a perfectly safe ~1.5ppm.

Moved the runt who dropped out of her seed pod to a covered perlite pot on my speaker, it is behaving like a cutting, starting to root from the tap root, it cant keep up with the rest so it gets the sidelines.
Maybe it will be perfect for becoming a CS dad should it live.

My trusty 20yo MaxiJet 1000 pump finally took it upon itself to die, temps now 21-22C since chiller cant be used used, new pump ordered.

Airstones had moved while fault finding the pump, 3h without direct splash wasnt a good thing to the little ones, can see it on the pic, they are going again tho, new growth at the end.

4 Likes

Day 7.
Added another 2.5ml of chlorine solution 8h ago, ORP 650.
Theoretical total chlorine would be ~2.5ppm, evaporation and reactions likely make it ~1.5-2ppm. Will continue with ORP at 600-650.
Roots seem perfectly happy after their slight air pruning the other day.

Light lvl check, didn’t remember I had a Lux meter, ~35k Lux at the very edge, meter goes OL at 40k. 40-60k Lux being the sweet spot this is just about perfect.
LED panels are at minimum.
Heat sink doesn’t need a fan, ~35C.

4 Likes

Day 9

Nothing much going on, babies are working their magic ever so slowly, or fast, depending, like waiting for Xmas since my last run was a bust. 10 weeks to go at a minimum.

Roots are looking pretty happy, raised water level just under the pad, was getting paranoid about the roots getting damaged should air pump fail in any way.

7 Likes

Day 10
Happy roots. I think I love chlorine, not even a speck of algae.
Man, if I had started with chlorine back in the 2000s. Even that guy I built a high pressure aero for, he mopped up a spill and poured it back in the res. Time travel and a cap of chlorine in that res, pounds instead of poop.

Everything is stable and I expect a growth explosion in the next few days. 2ml chlorine has been added, no change in ORP(673), PPM 170.
Since there is no change in ORP I presume the breakpoint has been reached. Chlorine does not have anything left to react with leaving free chlorine in reserve.

Day11
Got some Triacontanol in the mail, immediately made a 20ppm mix, man is it hard to dissolve the raw powder.
In sprayer with alg-a-mic, mineral magic/fulvic mix.
Once every 2 weeks is apparently a good way to increase chlorophyll/sugar content, total weight and branching. Will do some testing later on with cuttings, 4 cuts at 0-1-5-20ppm dosage.
New pump and therefor the chiller is back in action. Now I remember why I disliked Eheim, the filter sponge is attached to the pump with a tiny plastic lip, slightest movement makes it fall off. MaxiJet is amazing, stuff stays in place, too bad it would’ve taken a long time to get, next one.
Although I feel pretty safe with the chlorine even at 22C.

5 Likes

Day 12
Reasonably happy plants.
Those roots look so nice.
PPM increased from 175 to 200(2ml M, 4ml B).

Day 13
Plants look fine, perhaps a little better since increasing nutes.
Further increase from 200ppm to 275ppm(5ml M, 10ml B).
Training started for the tall ones.
Water level is now 2-3cm under the pad.
Another 2ml of chlorine solution added, ORP 665, Ph ~5.5(darker yellow).
Feeling secure in running a sterile res, temperature and chiller working between 19.5-21C, saves on power, more of an overheat security measure.

5 Likes

Day 14.
ORP was going down a bit, 630, put in 5ml chlorine solution ~1.8ppm, Raised ORP to 645.
Will be interesting to see what total and free chlorine is when test strips get here.

Girls are finally starting to eat, ppm dropped from 275 to 260 in a day.
Added 2ml M, 4ml B, 300ppm.

Included 200ppm(mg/l) of ascorbic acid into my daily foliar (algamic, mineralmagic, fulvic), after doing a deep dive, seems clear plants take in and use vitC in growth areas. Should make them much more tolerant to higher nutrients and chlorine oxidization. When not stressed it increases chlorophyll and other goodies. Studies- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Short stubby one has a grapey fresh scent when rubbed, might be a keeper. Looks like there is some variation in these beans, all 3 are distinctly different.

4 Likes

D17
Some spotting and pale new growth, any ideas, maybe its fine.
Will LITFA unless someone has any pointers.

Been slowly increasing PPMs, from 275 to now 550, Ph 5.7-6. Aiming at GHs recirculating nutrients chart, seedling ~400-600 going towards 1000ppm in full veg.
Current dosage, 50 grow, 30micro, 15 bloom. Confusing, according to their chart that dosage for 5 gal would be ~1000ppm, while mine measures 550.
Am I at 2x the dosage I intended or at half of where I am suppose to go?
Maybe its the other stuff at the end of the chart that’s supposed to add that PPM, florablend/armor/floralicious.

3 Likes

D23
Well, typical rookie mistakes were made.
I burnt the crap outa the plants raising PPM too fast, did not follow the “today is what you did last week” axiom.
ORP meter has been sent back, it was giving fluctuating results, sometimes going up like normal other times refusing to go over ~400 even with crazy ozone or chlorine in a cup.
Sticking to 5ml(~1.8ppm) chlorine every few days .´

Emergency care was interesting, they went from totally limp and flat to standing up in a day. ~100ppm instead of 550 helped.
Constant spray with ph7 water with a dash of aloe.

revival

90% oxygen fed through stainless steel diffuser, makes a nice mist in the fluid.

Still not totally out of the woods but they are alive and seem to be recovering.
After a few days of slow acclimatization with lots of spraying and a bowl over the plants.

3 Likes

D31
Back on track, new roots and new growth.
Pretty sure I can blame the ORP meter, the readings were inconsistent and likely caused overdosing.
Even though the roots were brown it doesn’t seem like fungal, I can only assume it was chlorine burn.
Nutes raised to 150ppm.
1.5ml 5% chlorox every 3 days.

5 Likes

Nice recovery Arriba|nullxnull , always feed with less than what’s in the charts and you will never be wrong, better hungry than burnt … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Thanks George, repeated punishment drives the lesson home like no other, fail your way to success beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

Flower starts today , D35 : F1.
I read that the blue dream tends to take 6 weeks to start flower properly. Hopefully it was timed right and there will be 3-4x stretch.
Hoping to get some good cuts in the middle of stretch.
They are looking so nice, what a recovery, still at 150ppm. Just doesnt make sense, most people are running 500-1200ppm, oh well, as long as they are happy.
Robust one , bottom left, rub it and doesn’t have much smell, but the one on the right, that could be amazing, sweet lemon/grape, top one is more grapefruit.
3 very different girls.

4 Likes

well id be waiting another two+ weeks to give them adequate veg time before flipping them due to the recent issues you had, you just want them to be decent sized and healthy before throwing them into reduced light day lengths, and you can always flop and prune to manage the space you have.

2 Likes

Thanks.
So far I haven’t had a grow where the cab wasn’t packed and had to be cut down by 50% or more.
If they keep essentially vegging for another 6 weeks, I still think they might overfill the 0,25m2.
Going to risk having 3 softballs.
You are probably right and I am just rushing it, lets see.

D39:F5

Turns out the wind from my fan was making one plant all floppy, rotated them and the back wall spot causes plant flop. Fan shroud added.

In other news, the girls are growing decently and PPM has been raised to 230.
Triacontanol/algae/aloe/silica foliar yesterday, looks to be perking them up.

Raised from 10k lux to 15k, lets see how they like it.

4 Likes

D45:F11
Hand sized fan leaves, come on tops, time to catch up.
Although I didn’t really help since i took a top cut from each 2 days ago.
They seem to like 300ppm just fine, they are eating and drinking in a balanced manner, stays the same.
Shame that the runty one smells the best, so slow to grow.

4 Likes

Much more intense green and monster leaves, plants love hydro especially when you find the right feed, they will reward you for that … Arriba|nullxnull

2 Likes

Yessir, decent growth. FYI, last pic was with flash, makes them look a pale.
Blasting into flower and hoping for cuts to push roots, some excitement i suppose :grin:.
Wanna see them thick green leaves and praying.
New growth is a little pale still even if it doesn’t show on picture. Maybe I need cal/mag even though I am on soft water Flora…

2 Likes

D49:F15 , Preflowers

We have pre-flower on BD#1(top left), it is the overall winner, strong growth, has developed a spicy scent with a little grapefruit.
Taken 3 cuts, I really hope they root soon, 6 days so far on the first cut and no sign of rooting yet.

BD#2, on the right, Isn’t quite as healthy, a little flimsy, good growth and a sweeter grapefruit scent.

BD#3 is just a runty mess, I will let it run its course and cut it from the gene pool.

BD#1 and BD#2 need to make babies.
Will pick a branch on BD#1 and start spraying CS.

Lux increased to 32k(limit of the phone app).
Slight purple on stems(need cal/mg?) and ppm was down to 265, put in 3ml micro(+20ppm, for the calcium, micros), MgCl 15ppm, total 300.

2 Likes

D53:F19/63-70
Good growth, time to put in the net.
BD#2 is showing first hairs now.
Some browning on the older roots on top, smells a little earthy but growth is great.
Increased chlorine to 2ml/5% every 2 days just in case.

Even BD#4 that fell out of its seed pod at the start is coming along, just got topped, it took an extra month and a half but its still alive.
All the cuttings are rooting too, they are a little rough looking but started showing root yesterday, the green gods are with me on this one. 8 days for rooting, pretty decent.
If 2x daily CS spray produces pollen this is a straight home run.

Now to figure out how to time the next cycle, ~45 days left. Mature seeds probably takes ~40 days, might have to settle with harvesting a little pollen this round and pollinate next round.
I cant imagine getting pollen until 2 weeks from now if at all.

Kush n cookies CBD on soak for next round. The little veg chamber will be stuffed to the gills.

Need to convert to ebb n flow in the future, cant fit all the goodness, someone call strainaholics anonymous.

5 Likes