The Foraging Experience (The Morel and Mushroom Hunting Thread)

I love to mushroom hunt. Morels are of course my favorite, but I also love to wonder through the woods. My kids and I look for anything unusual especially mushrooms. I searched for mushroom hunting page and could not find one, which blew my mind.

I would hate to start a page without a mushroom picture. Here are a couple from last year.

And this was from some years ago.

We are going out today to hunt. Also, looking for fiddleheads!

Anyone else have some better photos of mushrooms?

26 Likes

Went out last week and found a few…just starting here, but the stay at home order shut down all state parks and made it “illegal” to mushroom hunt, also turkey hunt (unless on private land)

19 Likes

One of favorite things to do in the spring but it’s been too damn cold around me . Nothing like scouting for turkey spots and finding a bunch of food to eat.

9 Likes

I’m trying to get out this week, but we got snow twice this week! Moisture level is good, just need the gradual warm up now. Ramps are plentiful right now tho.

7 Likes

This is something I always wanted to do it’s on the list

4 Likes

Probably head out and look in a couple spots today…above pictures were from last Sunday and then the temp dropped to the low 40s for a high and snowed a couple times (quick to melt though) …yesterday was the first day in the 60s and supposed to continue all week… Should be getting good in central Illinois

12 Likes

I’m loving the memes this year too

15 Likes

I found a few this year.

3 Likes

Last week in Southern Oregon.

13 Likes

We went out today and found 5 the size of my thumb. This is definitely our week.

4 Likes

yuck i’ve never been big on mushrooms, i’d probably enjoy the hunt though, i wonder if they grow around my area

3 Likes

Oh for sure they grow in your area. They sell for $30+ (USD) a pound fresh. I like looking for them as much as eating them. I would say even more.

My big tip for morel hunting is: Get in the woods. Get out there during morel season and out of morel season. I walk in the woods a few times a week. I look at mushrooms and bugs. I see all kinds of animals. My kids come with me and we go for hours. I have become an amateur mycologist and arboriculturist.

When dad is a little high (the kids don’t know! lol) and wants to walk in the woods…it’s a good day.

11 Likes

Went out today. Found a few small ones in the warmer spots. I think if we have a good day of 65 and sunny they will hit everywhere. Slim pickings now.

7 Likes

I’ll have to get some pics sent over to my phone we’ve gotten some big ones through out the years

1 Like

After work last week in southern Oregon. Good eating for some essential worker guys.

Same little patch as last week. Thinking the universe knows I’m injured and called them in for me:).

Less than fifty feet from where I parked the van…found 34 in an area about 10’x10’. My brother walked a couple miles in the same area and didn’t find any. He tells people that they pop up from my footsteps:)

10 Likes

Nailed a good patch today after some walking

11 Likes

I didn’t pick this but one day I’ll build up enough courage to eat it :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I think tomorrow will be really popping. Here are some from Wednesday night. Everything is still really small. I hope I find some donkey’s tomorrrow!

5 Likes

Solid haul man! Beautiful!

2 Likes

Hoping to go some this weekend

2 Likes