The Forest Treehouse - CannabisSequoia's Growing Again :-)

So this is what I’ve been trying to figure out… I’m a total outdoor dumbass…

If 8-week strains finish mid-September at my latitude, that means the “flip” happens mid-July? But in mid July the length of day is 15.5 hrs, how does that work?

6 Likes

:slight_smile: Yes; kinda. In my spot I’ve seen some variation on that… with the easier ones starting early July, my first sativa/durban was a hard lesson learned because it waited until late September(12/12) to do it & then needed 11-12 wks. :unamused: :snowflake:

That right there is why people started breeding more in the 70s-- trying to grow a Mexican plant in a climate like NW pacific US… There was a practice of doing light-period control with refirgerator boxes. :slight_smile: aka “black boxing”, old-school light-dep.

Science in weed growing was slooooooow to propagate in the olden days.

That’d be a half hour from the “mythical” 9 hours of dark being the trigger… ?
We call them photo-period but it’s actually “dark-period” (ewww hahaha) that triggers the flowering.

It’s usually mid-august when I expect everything to be blooming (here).

Then I’ve had clones taken out that simply started flowering in June :clap:.

As a visual example of what works well in the climate north of me(emerald triangle) check out lightdep.com and use the google virtual tour. I used that as a study guide essentially. :blush:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

No shower tonight. :unamused:

10 Likes

I’m wondering if 8 week strain means anything in outdoor grows, honestly. I don’t think it does. I know that here in So Cal my plants flowered when we got to about 13 hours of sun. I believe wherever you are, it will be when the hours start steadily declining past the years peak.

@cannabissequoia Mine flowered mid august as well

3 Likes

So you are using supplemental lights inside the house or in your greenhouse?
The real bummer for me with strictly outdoor growing is I must care for and love a regular seed for months before it will show sex only to be killed if it shows me it’s balls.

1 Like

As a example, only one website had posted a general idea of finish time outdoors. I think it was dankly something. My memory is crap. All other sites showed finish times indoors ie… 8 weeks, 10 weeks etc…

2 Likes

Sorta. :bulb: I have a small closet grow, that has now become a closet & bathutb show :unamused: so I can get an early start on next year’s out-do’ & no greenhouse. I wish. Have lots of ideas but no budget :grin:.

The local “laws” are indoor only 9 plants in a 5x5. That doesn’t meet my needs as MMJ user & self-provider so I deem myself the Supremest Court and go by the originalm pre-legal-weed, CA state “rule”(suggestion hehe) of 6 mature outdoor or 12 immature. Or close enough… :wink: :herb: :herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb::herb: :joy:

Are you restricted locally to outdoor? Where I’m at only the city-proper allows outdoor, but I’m in the unincorporated ghettoburbia/ex-urbs. At a quick glance it may appear normal but scrutiny reveals populous porches & oversized-chrome-big-wheeled-denali, stolen from tweaker-ex-baby-mama-as-repo-fo-mah-chile-'pote, used-car-lot-plates from 2008, ex-con-abuelito-vatos-locos repairs…

:violin: :cry: :house_abandoned:

7 Likes

What are you growing that is finishing at mid september and what lattitude?
Skunky lines tend to be quite light sensitive/early

In my experience flowering outdoors takes much longer as it starts slower then increases speed until climax :grin: , at least above 50N, but that is what daylight does here too…

As cannabis sequoia says its dark dependent, the light prevents a certain flowering inhibitor chemical (cant remember name) forming in the plant. I have seen people state that a day of darkness at onset of flower can accelerate flowering by a few weeks as it gives a head start on decreasing the inhibitor. I dont know, shall try it next year. :om_symbol:

3 Likes

I’m 49N @gordongecko, have never had an outdoor grow yet, but hope to next year.

Apparently Manitoba Poison and Texada Timewarp are both early finishers and are “true” 8 week strains for mid-September harvest.

Or maybe I’m on glue?

3 Likes

No. I’m restricted by a small house with no room for an indoor set-up. Plus with the backyard landscaping project going on, I’m too cheap to buy an indoor set-up, even a dinky one.

2 Likes

:smile: …you did see my bathtub has been Overgrown :herb:, right? :upside_down:

:wink:

3 Likes

12/3/18 update

TheBlack x Champagne

BOG’s SourLifeSaver (my last 5 seeds)

@Ftlob’s BlackWidowSensiStar x Blueberry

TGA/HeroesoftheFarm ConspiracyKush x BOG SourLifeSaver (my first pollen!)

@Mr.Sparkle’s DarkDevilAuto x Barney’s RedCherryBerry (just the 1)

@nube’s Bodhi DankSinatra F2

TGA (rejected) GirlTime x BOG SourLifeSaver (unintentional & only 2 beans i got) 1=girl, 2=boy :thumbsup:

@I_thewindcries’s HerijuanaYetiGlacier :mount_fuji:

I’m tired from this shit. Dang. Fed them but not me. I’ll comment later… :blush:

:older_man:

16 Likes

Hey Happy,

I’m also planning my first outdoor grow and after looking into it and considering all the factors - I’ve decided they are going in the ground on May 4th, which means I will pop seeds a couple weeks before that.

I’m going to run a couple autos, just to make sure it isn’t a total loss. I’ve also chosen to run some Lebanese, which is 9-11 week sativa but they flower quite early and typically finish end of September. Tempted to try the Grizzly Mix seeds (Kootenay Mountain Seeds) too. Apparently, they harvest them by kicking the snow off and ripping them out of the ground.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all goes! Make sure to post an outdoor log. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Deal @cogitech!
I’ll put them in may 4 as well then. We can do a side-by-side. I’ll be doing northern lights from clone likely.

4 Likes

You probably already know, but just make sure to ween your clone off of light until you reach the outside light schedule. My first grow was all clones last year. 7 of them prematurely budded (and the buds were crap, all thrown out) and the other 5 revegged. I had bought all those clones too. It was an expensive lesson.

@cannabissequoia What in the heck are you gonna do when you need a shower? lol Hose in the yard?

4 Likes

:shower: They go onto the available floor space. :grin:

Not quite the same as sharing a shower with a person. :blush: :fireworks:

4 Likes

Ahh! The things we do for love! :seedling:

3 Likes

Lulz! My wonderful lady moved out of my bathroom into the kids bath to make room for my plants. Such a gem she is

3 Likes

I came on here expecting to see pictures of Chimpanzees :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Your welcome :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes