The "Freaky Bastard" (f1) Experiment with Marola

Wow… been a while, huh OGs? This guy has been shedding for over a week and so I figured an update was well overdue.

By the looks of it he’s not quite done and so we’ll let him have at it for another week or two…

I’ve already confirmed that our ladies are with seed and the Freakshow is obviously loaded, with blonde pistils and visible seeds on almost every flower already.

Although the seeds from the Drunken Bastards are not protruding from the bracts like those of the Freakshow, the hairs are starting to turn; and in knowing how small the seed were to begin with, I am certain that at the subsequent line (F4) it will be no different.

EDIT It stinks in that 2x2 space, by the way. This Freakshow is undoubtedly the winner when it comes to terpene production (already knew this after stress tests) and she smells like Lemonheads; but surprisingly enough the pinene forward nose demonstrated by the drunken bastards has evolved to a mind boggling velvety cabernet on the smaller (No 6) one and No 5, the larger one, of poisonberry (lady of the night) with zero remnants of the pine scents. Just figured it was worth a mention.

28 Likes

Wow @ciganomarola ! I just got caught up on your thread and I have to say those are some freaky bastards!:grin: And I appreciate your terp report, I can totally picture it in my noses eye! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Best of luck on your pollinations! May all you selections be good ones!:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

Good to see you around again; you were everywhere for a bit, and then nowhere to be seen!

I was going to mention the aromas too, but who could put it better than this?!

Kudos on another successful step in your project @ciganomarola

5 Likes

:rofl: @Budderton!

Thanks for checking it out and bringing them positive OG vibes along with you.

Stick around… The next phase will be an important one… no spoilers (@GanjaMa); but it will hopefully help as many people as it boggles.

I will try to remember to thoroughly detail the logic behind the protocols adopted and welcome anyone to throw any questions they have my way. (Noting I’m no “guru” so take it as it is coming from a layman with a passion and some questions of his own)

@HeadyBearAdventures you’re too right, OG.

:man_shrugging: but I appreciate the kind wishes from you both!

9 Likes

Yeeoooo you are a madman this is awesome Definitely will be watching this

5 Likes

WHAT YOU MEAN?!

insane_loco_mang

So, go ahead- pull up @HunnaGodHunna, OG! Good company is always welcome and I appreciate the love.

4 Likes

So cool seeing that bundle of pistils and not much else!
I guess these are the results of plants getting wayyy too much light.
Really curious about your effect report!
Maybe it’ll be more like DMT?

3 Likes

Lol. True.

I honestly don’t have any intentions about posting an “effect report” as I have my reservations about posting something publicly that could influence other people’s perceptions and actions surrounding such use of plants.

Not that I wouldn’t discuss it one-on-one if I feel it’s a conversation I can have with that person; but as a form of respect to the OGs & moderators (and to not get too into my personal views), it’s a discussion that I will refrain from giving too much space on here.

Still, please do feel free to pull up and join us all the same… it might just be worth it!

4 Likes

Big day coming up today… or should I say night.

As mentioned previously, the purpose of this run was to produce healthy viable seed to explore how these Freaky things cross. Now that I have confirmed that all plants seem to be forming seed from the last blossom at the tip top to the lower most bracts, I will be clearing out the boom box and putting these girls to reveg while the seeds mature.

So far we are at day 40 from flower induction on the ladies (lights first went off Saturday January 15th @ 6 AM EST) and this is the first time any of these has been taken to seed.

During the next phase we will see if they are fit for my protocols and exactly how they will react compared to my expectations.

So far these specimens have not only demonstrated stability & vigor, and recovered in a reasonable time from the different stress tests, but they didn’t hermaphrodite after being submitted to all the fuckery I’ve commited in the past as a grower including: H2O stress (under/overwatering), extreme PH swings, hot soil & temps of up to 102F along with 2 weeks programmed photo stressing all while under “rootbound” conditions. These tests were, of course, done on separate cuttings (of the same explant) from the ones used for breeding.

I also acknowledge that forewent the salt tolerance testing. I don’t feel it is relevant for these lines and don’t see them being steered towards large scale agricultural applications.

The purpose of interrupting the flowering cycle is that these specimens have been specifically grown for R&D purposes and I personally have no intention on using these plants for any purpose other than to produce seed and maybe some bonsais at the time being. With this, and the knowledge that once the pollinated the plant will produce seed independent of the light cycle so long as it is provided adequate conditions (light, food, water), reveging them now allows for me to harvest seed without having to harvest flower and also have plants that are ready to go again immediately once the seeds have been collected.

There are other benefits to this approach and I’m am by no means proposing anything new. I understand that for many that might be a turn off, but those who understand the value of this approach will understand it was not done without reason. Quite to the contrary.

Day 24 for this guy, in case you were wondering.

20 Likes

Awesome experiment my friend @ciganomarola !!!

Really interesting the point about stress tests… Already learned the my “one new thing by day” :stuck_out_tongue:
I anxious to see the phenos which will pop from this!!! :slight_smile:

Good vibes !!

2 Likes

Thanks, @LionsNaughtyBeans. Always appreciated.

HERE’S AN UPDATE FOR Y’ALL

The smells on all specimens continue to intensify and evolve with both the Bastards now taking on the poisonberry nose (which also has me wondering if the nuances will come back with the next carb load). The Freakshow is starting to put on a sweeter, more bubblegum-like gassiness with the hints of citrus still lingering.

I’ve been blessed to see a good number of expressions from all over in my (reasonably) short time as a grower and although at first what called my attention to the cultivar was the pinnate FS leaf morph (and the hype of course), I have to say that I am completely spellbound with this pheno of the Freakshow and having found it am sure that other’s who’ve found one they like can attest to how satisfying it is to grow.

I really love it… from the leaf shape to the multitude of unusually long pistillate hairs and seeds which seem to stack infinitely on each other, literally bursting out of their bracts just days after they set. The nose is definitely notable, but is just a cherry on top.

I keep doublechecking flowers from top to bottom for nanners on all of the specimens to ensure they aren’t turning and the new growth was actually a challenge for me to assess being accustomed to the stereotypical plant morphologies.

I did my best to ensure there was no rogue/ unwanted pollen touching these. This will be validated come April.

18 Likes

Looks tasty :yum:

2 Likes

Thank you @AceHigh, OG! I agree. Weirdly enough as the seeds bulk up it seems the wonderful smells might actually be dying down… I haven’t given them the carb load promised yet but as I think seeds don’t carry terpenes either, I’ll just take it as part of the process and be grateful I chose to hold off introducing the stud if they don’t come back…

There is also the fact that these plants are technically being revegged now.

5 Likes

Pulling up a chair for your journey with this cross. I’ll be attempting something similar. You’re about 3 months ahead of me!

Do you plan to sprout & mate F1’s and make F2’s for pheno (mutant) hunting? This is what excites me the most. Those F2 seeds could have some real good keepers in there.

6 Likes

Caraca Cigano >>> Tua Marola é Topzera >>> TMJ

:star_struck: :green_heart: :100: :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Welcome to the show @crunkyeah & thank you for joining the community!

We’re all somewhere at some point.

Yes to the F2s; but I’m not rushing it… I hope I will be able to actually explore the cross properly and lock down a few lines of my own one day, but I am just doing what I can and growing/ tending the number of specimens I would want to actually sift through for that is beyond my means as I am somewhat restricted in what I can take on myself st the moment.

It’s been a humbling few months, to say the least.

Why don’t you introduce yourself to the OGs, this is, after all, a community & I’m sure everyone will be stoked to welcome you.

Valeu, mano! Cola ai. É nos!

5 Likes

@ciganomarola - I understand the feeling! I only have 1 veg tent (4’x2’), 1 small clone booth(custom), and a flower room (5’x3’). All in all I’m working with about 30 sq ft for my ladies. I’ve seen some outdoors plants bigger than my whole setup tents included and I’m like yeahh… one day I’ll grow some outdoor monsters too. Being restricted with size is definitely something us mutant seekers are going to have to figure out. We don’t have the space to run through 10,000 seeds to find the keepers.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will introduce myself on that link.

5 Likes

Figured, I drop an update before they close this out (6mo limit and all).

I see you though, OG.

Sorry, everyone. Life got in the way and ~30 R&D specimens were scraped, including some that I’d grown quite fond off and intended on doing some work with. No viable was seed was pulled from the Freakshow during this run; but miraculously some f4s were salvaged (somehow) along with plenty of lessons for a future run when the time comes.

Anyways, sorry again for the disappearance. Sending much love to all y’all who cheered us on.

3 Likes

Its all good, you have to take care of yourself first. The plants can be re-done at another time. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks, OG.

4 Likes