The LED hack shack and other tall tales

Jumping back to the clones

Maybe I didn’t mention it, but some might noticed the clones in pouches.
In the 2nd pic from my last update, giving these coco pouches another try.

Last round they totaly failed, not a single root on any of the clones in coco.
Figured I would have to give it another chance, suspecting the coco where too moist/wet.
This time I squeesed the coco a bit more, they have been looking fine for the first 5 or 6 days.
Then I stated to harden them off, and I do this by lifting the lit a bit.

Airing them out

Let’s take a look at the coco clones :taco:

I think they hate me and life, and absolutely have no love for pouches with coco.

My RW cubes are from the looks doing good, another week and I suspect to see root’s on most of them.

3 Likes

@Palindrome, any idea how much current do those dual-row strips draw at 12v?
I ordered 10x of them for shits & giggles

1 Like

I am running Constant Current drivers, so I have them running at 700 mA with the Mean Well driver.

I have been collecting data from different suppliers, but they all given different answers.
But I think the strips are rated to run @ 1.2 A max, one have claimed 5 A max load.

It’s hard to trust anything, but 1.2 A sounds more reasonable.

After testing the 700 mA driver, I will see what happens when I run them at 1400 mA.

3 Likes

Yeah 5A seems like a stretch. Thanks! I’d be happy with 1.2a @12v around 14W out of one of those, that would give me 140w to a 2x2 space. I ordered the white/cool white combos dual rows.

1 Like

I have ordered some of thouse too, still waiting on them to arrive!

Team Putin

9 Likes

I didn’t realise Putin had you locked up in the trim Gulag the other day.

4 Likes

It was done quick

I don’t mind trimming that much, as long I have a little company.
For me it’s just a part of growing, along with cloning and changing water.

3 Likes

Congratulations! You’ve made Jelly’s DIY LINK-O-RAMA!

6 Likes

Awesome idea with the DIY Link-O-Rama, and thank you for the kudos, adding my Hack Shack to your link collection.

3 Likes

Update on the clones

Spotted the first root, in the “Sausage” cloner.

2 Likes

10 hours later

2 Likes

Removed the felt mats in both cloners, spotted a rooted clone in the Tacocat cloner.

Sprayed the cubes with the same BioBizz Fishmix, I use for folia spray (about 1½ ml to 1 L water)

2 Likes

Clones are well ready to be transplanted, but I have been slagging off :slight_smile:

Well got a new light build for the top cabinet, as I took the first gen lights out and converted the dual row strips into a new aquarium light.

7 hacked ‘Quad Strips’ in series, 1008 china chips on a 1400 mA load.

230 Watt’s at the wall, and it’s pretty bright I tell ya!

9 Likes

Got team Tacocat and the sausage cloner transplanted

Moved them into their new home, under their new light.
Temps and humidity looks good, and so far non of the transplanted clones have given up on life.

I will veg them a little, and then they will go into the HPS flower room.
Just need to order a few new HPS bulps

4 Likes

New experiment have started

Cloning under my 6666 light cycle, where @Fuel already did the first veg test.
Proving the plants will infact veg, slower but not stressed out and the test subjects metabolism seemed to change.
Still need alot more testing, with multiple plants and strains.

I will now start the next step, to see what will happen, when rooting under this light cycle.
The veg test showed a lot of root growth, but little to no hair roots.

Timer for the clone light have been set to turn on and off every 6 hours, only giving the plant light a total of 12 hours.
But it will never get more then 6 hours darkness, and trigger the hormone production for flower.

I have looked high and low, and not been able to find anything indicating anything like this have been atempted with cannabis. In my research I came across a paper on a simular but different low light study and experiment. With a different short-day culture, and some of their findings peaked my interrest to continue on to testing my theory.
This might have a use beneficial for cannabis growing , it very well might not.

Made a bunch of cuttings, from the BLB seedlings mainly.

Sprayed them good

And into the clone cabinet

Now we wait!

5 Likes

The clones under the new light have started to show growth, it’s been 4 days since they have been transplanted.
Moved the light down, after I took these pictures.

Got my new bulps for the flower room, so this weekend I will need to swap out the old ones.
Clean out the last of the flow table and get it ready for the next run.

4 Likes

Cool thread man! Congrats and my hat off to you on mad scientists approach and thank you for sharing your journey!! it was great read. This is inspirational stuff that shows that one can play around with low cost stuff …

2 Likes

Yes it works. pH, the late great poster on ADPC in the late 90s, was the first one to write about it that I’m aware of. I’ve been using it to hold bonzai mothers and clones in stasis ever since. You can use any light/dark period combination as long as you don’t have a dark period longer than about 10 hours (strain dependent to some degree.) Nothing new under the sun here.

3 Likes

Will you be having control / comparison group under 18/6 or 24/0? ( cuts from same mother ideally but same strain at least? ) OR will you just see what happens and compare to your experiences on past grows?

One option is to use some ‘standard’ veg regime like 18/6 or 24/0 which I mentioned. (will give results on differences between light regimes)

Second option would be to use 14/10 (will not trigger flowering) … this would give comparison between roughly same amount of lights in one day cycle vs two day cycle.

Grabbing a seat for the show :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like