The Press Room: ♨

Did you see the roux press. $75

Its a hair straightener in a vice.

I love it.

2 Likes

I’ve searched the thread and can’t seem to find it. Surely the vice would damage the hair straightener if too much pressure is applied? I suppose if your really careful and listen for and cracks and pops you could easily apply more pressure than you can with your hands.

1 Like

It is the very first press on the thread after the intro page.

1 Like

Haha Jesus’s how did I miss that :rofl: I was searching for his/her post on the thread. Ingenious and it doesn’t take up so much room. I have a vice laying around somewhere but I’ve not needed so much as a towel for my hair in 20 years as I’ve been grey since then and shave it off. I’ll ask my sister if she has an old set knocking around and I’ll give it a try. Spending nothing is always better than spending something :rofl:

1 Like

I would strongly suggest getting a good one with temp controls.

The one roux used is perfect.

1 Like

I’ll see what she has laying around. Like all woman she’s a little OTT when it comes to her hair so hopefully she has a old one I can take off her hands. It will likely be an expensive one with temp controls knowing her. I’ll report back on my findings tomorrow maybe. I’ll likely need a bit advice or at least pointing in the direction to a thread with some sort of instructions on it. Thanks @99PerCent. :+1:

1 Like

I added a set of aluminum jaw plates, so, I can remove the heater parts and still use the vice :smile:

3 Likes

The ingenuity of some of our members amazes me. I’ll bookmark the thread. I thought he was applying pressure to the actual straighteners themselves. Removing the plates and fixing them to the vice is an excellent idea. :+1:

1 Like

When you glue the plates, don’t glob it in. A thin layer won’t warm up and compress, letting go of everything that is glued. A think layer will right away.

I found this JB Weld product works best for me.

2 Likes

It will work similar to heat sink paste. It’s more efficient with a thin layer than a thick one. I don’t know if I’ll copy the idea but if a can gather everything for next to nothing I’ll give it a try. Haha honest some of the ideas our members have are unbelievable. I’m surprised daily when I visit OG

1 Like

Got it.

Post your final product on the Press Room thread so we can all enjoy another beautiful DIY.

1 Like

I will do my friend. Thanks again @99PerCent.

1 Like

I bought a 10ton Dake on sale for $270 on Zoro (originally like $400 on Grainger which owns Zoro interestingly enough)

Then got an additional 35% off. 25% promotional and 10% for complaining.

Then found a person on Instagram of all places who made plates for like $350 CAD which was like $250 at the time.

So less than $500 for a pretty sweet press

1 Like

This is what i used matey

2 Likes

I just put hair straighteners in between the clamps nd squeezed.

I’ve glued them on to it now and made a lil box off something I had lying around.

Looks a bit shit but Rome wasn’t built in a day😅

3 Likes

Like @99PerCent, I have a press and a rosin system. It cost me about $500 as well.

The press is very small. I currently have it mounted on a home made wooden stand. at the time of the thread, it was sitting on the floor. One of the photos has a Bic lighter next to the press to indicate how small the press really is.

2 Likes

Edit: Use some heat proof glue next time! :-)) :-)) hahaha
The plates just came off.

I’ve ordered some Oven door Glue it sound’s the business.

2 Likes

I recently bought this 3 ton all electric press from Dulytek (no affiliation).
My 1st was a manual press that used a huge spring…both have 3x5" aluminum plates.
I have only messed with this one a few times, but the ease is outrageous…
This was an 11 gram experiment…no bag, but used a 2x 4" prepress.
Material was only cured for 30 days (lowers to boot) and was still a bit too damp for best pressing.
220d F for 90 seconds…one press.(11grams). Avg yield has been between 18-26% with two presses.

4 Likes

This is about a 1/4 z of the Grandaddy Purple yard plant that came down early with powdery mildew. Yield is off for sure and the effect is a bit racey.

4 Likes

I would hit that! Reminds me I have some runny rosin in the freezer to deal with…

Oh hell yeah, Juanita la Lagrimosa rosin :yum:

2 Likes