The Press Room: ♨

Sweet.

Looking forward to your set up and pics.

2 Likes

Some more slaps for the press.

3 Likes

I got a cute little rosin press last week.

I have already tried trim,flower, and dry ice hash.

12 Likes

Killin’ it bro.

Keep on squishin’

99%

3 Likes

Nice little press. Sounds like you’re getting the hang if things!

1 Like

Yes sir! I have been reading and watching YouTube prior to the purchase.

I just had a harvest and was sure to keep all the trim from each strain separate. I got some dry ice and mixed it with some trim inside a sift bag. I only had 220micron which I understand is not what I want for yeild return, but was all I had. I shook the shit out of it and collected the heads. I put like 5gpf that in the little bag and squishhh.
The manual press is a hustle!!

• can I press kief or hash with no bag?
  • I think bag less for flower is better??
2 Likes

You can, sort of, press kief without a filter. Basically you mix the kief with flower and the flower filters it. @argo945 is the master of this technique.

I personally like the bags for flower too, but you definitely lose yield doing that. I usually rinse the bags with alcohol and use that for edibles.

3 Likes

What are your preferred temps for different materials?

I am going to give it a go again tomorrow. using the flower for a filter is genius! Thanks.

What about dabbing. Now that I have something to dab with, can I overheat the bowl? Should the dab leave a black residue?

Nice!
You could use a teabag or coffee filter for hash, kief etc, since it will be a mess without one…I use 35mic or 25 mic bags for Hash pressing.

I press flower without a bag, but not that much at once. Maybe up to 7 grams, but it must be pre-pressed 1st to avoid blowouts. I mostly use a 3 ton electric with 3x5 plates…To press larger amounts (up to 1/2 oz) I have a 10 ton in the Garage with 3x6 plates…ROSIN ROCKS!

1 Like

Nice!!

What temps do you run?

If you mean me:
Flower 190-220 for 90 seconds (give or take)
Hash 170-190 for 15 seconds
Most of the PIDs are not very accurate and each press and strain needs to be dialed in.

I try to stop the press when the rosin stops bubbling to try to keep the terps from boiling away. Material is no problem, so I can waste some and not be worried. It’s more about the preparation that is a PIA…all in all it’s the way to go.

2 presses each

1 Like

Got the 7-ton manual press to test from the company…Sweet unit for $500.
On the right is my own Dulytek 6000 electric 3-ton

height=“500”>

5 Likes

That’s so amazingn. Mechelle x

3 Likes

Nice little unit for the price. How big are those plates? Does it have a pressure gauge?

1 Like

It has 2.5" x 6" plates…There is no pressure gauge on this unit…
I think at this price point, the thought is that the low price coupled with the large pressing capacity would outweigh the need of a gauge…JMO of course.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Dulytek in any way. I do, however test products for the company.

This is a mini review I put up on Leafly recently.

"This is a huge press in a tiny package! It only weighs 35lbs, but presses as well as my larger shop press in the garage! The press incorporates a power save mode that is fully settable by the user. The electronics package is superb, and accurate by any standard. Heating time of the large 2.5x6 inch plates is good for plates this size and heat distribution is very even. I have only pressed amounts up to 14 grams so far, but this is capable of pressing larger quantities. There is a built in timer that is activated by the press of a button. The unit is attractive enough to be kept inside the house with no objections from anyone here.

Jacking requires the normal amount of hand pressure, but the built in handle is perfect for keeping the press steady as you increase the jacking pressure. The frame of this SS press will become warm, but not hot after a pressing session. It is my understanding that the 7-ton bottle jack can be replaced easily by the user with a 5 or 7 ton jack, if needed.

Quality is excellent and the welds are very smooth and even. The package was unmarked (appreciated), and very heavy duty . There was a custom fit foam insert making sure all stayed in place. I was waiting for a good quality press at a reasonable price. THIS IS IT!!! If you are looking for a press…don’t even think about it…buy this one!"

3 Likes

Ive been wanting to try pressing ever since I saw @Roux DIY press. Im still several weeks from my next harvest, but I want to ask some questions before I commit.

First, I dont smoke or do dabs or anything that involves inhaling anything. Too many years smoking and my lungs cant take it. Im also not a big fan of edibles.

What I do now is make capsules. I start by drying and de-carbing the bud in the oven. Then I use 95% alcohol to make green dragon, then boil off the alcohol and make capsules with coconut oil.

This is a long, tedious, and slightly dangerous process. Plus the 95% EverClear is kind of pricey.

How will my final yield of usable product compare if I switch to using a hair straightener press? Will I loose a lot in terms of the number of capsules I can make from a given amount of bud?

If I do press this way - should I de-carb first when I dry the weed in the oven or just use a higher temp when I press or decarb after the press? If after - how would you recommend doing it? I could add the rosin to the coconut oil and heat it on the stove at 240?

How long do you think it would take to press say 20 oz of bud using the hair press? It looks like you can only do a few grams at a time, so doing close to 600 grams would take some time I suspect.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions , etc :smiley:

5 Likes

The most thorough extraction is either CO2 or Everclear, but a good press is fairly efficient. You can always run the squished pucks through your extraction process as well.

2 Likes

@anon32470837

You can expect anywhere between 10-25% return with a hair straightener.

You may be able to add more coconut oil and have a similar potency in terms of THC. What you probably wont get is the other polar plant compounds the ethanol pulls out, which may have medicinal properties.

After, and yes basically can do what you said above.

On a hair straightener? A long time. I have a small press and can only do 5 grams at a time. It takes roughly 5 minutes between presses if I work quickly. So roughly a gram a minute.

If I was going to process 20 ounces for edibles (or capsules) I would probably use ethanol. Have you considered getting a still to reclaim the ethanol? I have an Source Turbo by Extract Craft and love it.
http://www.extractcraft.com/store/

7 Likes

Rockin’ it @ReikoX

Thanks for your years of research! :microscope:

4 Likes

Thanks for the super detailed reply!!

I take it that means I could expect to end up with somewhere between 2 oz and 4.5 oz of rosin if I press 20 oz of bud?

I need to go back and look at my notes to see how much oil I ended up with after boiling off the everclear on my last mix. I did 20 oz of bud using 2 liters of everclear. I dont think I measured it. Four to 6 oz seems about right, but Im sure there was still some water in the solution. That makes it hard to compare.

That makes me go hmmmmmmm :slight_smile:

I would love one of those vacuum stills. but the price is too far out of my range.

Im not sure you could fit more than 2 oz on a hair press at one time, so that would take a long time to press that much. If it took me an average of 2 minutes/gram that would be roughly 1200 minutes or 20 hours of straight pressing. Thats a lot! :smiley:

It takes me most of a days work to dry the bud, de-carb the bud, freeze the bud, soak in everclear, then boil it all off, then mix in the coconut oil. But, most of that time is spent waiting for something to finish.

Gonna have to re-think this…

Thanks - again - for the super detailed reply!!!

3 Likes