The Search for Happiness

Got up this morning to have a smoke with coffee and read a little… saw this on the cover of Nat Geo…

So, @MadScientist, what can we learn?

Stay hazed
Jake

8 Likes

I am a very happy individual, never been to Denmark nor Singapore, would love to see the Petronas Towers, but that’s it.

Costa Rica = Pura Vida (Pure Life)

COSTA RICA IS “PURA VIDA”!

The above photo was taken within days of Ricky and I meeting for the very first time. He bought us each a pura vida bracelet and I was sold. We were excited to sport the icon of the entire country and culture–so much so that Ricky and I bought new pura vida bracelets every six months for the first few years of our relationship. Looking back, the pura vida bracelets not only documented the promises we made to each other throughout the development of our relationship, but they also stood for our commitment (Ricky’s inherent commitment and mine certainly learned), to the pura vida lifestyle.

WARNING: The fun, good-hearted, and laid-back lifestyle that is “pura vida” is extremely addictive. Falling in love with Costa Rica is a severe side effect.
WHAT DOES “PURA VIDA” MEAN?

Pura vida is a Spanish phrase that represents a way of life in Costa Rica. Literally translated as “pure life”, pura vida is used by Ticos to represent a relaxed attitude towards life, including its ups and downs, and an easy-going nature. Pura vida is also heavily used throughout Costa Rican discourse. I have yet to come across a moment when it is inappropriate or unfitting to slip the phrase into conversation when the communication has positive undertones.

PRACTICE USING “PURA VIDA”

Question: Hello! How are you?
Response: Pura vida! (meaning: very well, thanks!)

Question: Are things going well at work?
Response: Pura vida! (meaning: yes, good!)

Comment: I am going to a new restaurant for dinner tonight.
Response: Pura vida! (meaning: great! enjoy!)

Question: After dinner I am going to the hot springs. How are the pools?
Response: Pura vida! (meaning: very nice!)

Comment: Well, see you soon!
Response: Pura Vida! (meaning: see you later!)

Pura vida is used exclusively in Costa Rica so understanding its meaning and using it throughout your vacation can help you fit in among the locals. It is just one of the reasons you will enjoy meeting and interacting with the people, exploring the culture, and experiencing all that Costa Rica has to offer! Of course, since pura vida is like an inside joke that only Costa Ricans get, we encourage you to take the phrase back to your native country and share what you have learned. Latinos who hear you cite it will instantly recognize your Costa Rican experience, and you can feel proud knowing you have shared a bit of Costa Rica love with the rest of the world.

QUESTION TO COMMENT ON: What travelling, is it an interest of yours to mingle with the locals?

Pura vida!

9 Likes

What! Not México??? Wtf! I haven’t seen a dead body in the street in at least 18 hours. I wonder why we are not on the list?

9 Likes

Better go out and look again, murders in Mexico are like changing weather. Don’t like what you got now come back in an hour

1 Like

Costa Rica, Denmark and Singapore… Happiest places on earth. Let’s not taint the thread with murder related subjects. Thanks.

SINGAPORE

Various Must Know Culture Tid-Bits

Social

Elders are often addressed as “Uncle” and “Auntie” as a form of respect even though they could be perfect strangers.
Nearly all Singapore homes would require you to take off your shoes before entering.
Because of the humid weather, flip flops and shorts is the unofficial “uniform” of Singapore and the dress code is lax even in most places like Restaurants.
Non-Asians (Typically white westerners) are usually referred to as an “ang moh”. This term may have had derogatory origins but it has become accepted in modern society just as a term to describe foreigners and even expats use this term themselves.
If someone is “quiet” its usually because they are “shy” or reserved, not because they are being rude. In many Asian cultures, being quiet in the presence of your elders is a sign of respect and many Singaporeans, especially those who come from Chinese speaking families are reserved and observe this.
When paying for something or exchanging name cards, it is a form of respect to use both hands to both receive and give out, instead of using one hand.
Domestic helpers (Maids) are very common and there are over 200,000 domestic helpers in Singapore
Most Singaporean children do not move out of home early, instead they stay with their families till they get married in their late twenties.
They also look after their parents when they are old, like in most Asian countries.
Singapore society is competitive and there is plenty of emphasis on education and students having to get a “degree” in order to hold a respectable job.
Working life is competitive, hours are long and overtime is common for many jobs.

Eating

Eating in Singapore is a national past time. It is common for many Singaporeans to join long queues or drive a far distance just to eat from famous Chicken Rice or Nasi Lemak stores.
If you see a paper bag or even a single pack of tissue paper innocently placed on a empty table, this is no accident. It usually means the table has been “reserved” so look for another table.

Laws

Laws are strict in Singapore. There is no such thing as “recreational drug use” and drug traffickers are given the death penalty.
Bribery is also not practiced at all and is a serious offence so don’t ever try to bribe your way out of anything.

5 Likes

The best way to live in depression and regret is to live in the past, the best way to live in fear and anxiety is to live in the future, to live in contentment and bliss is to live in the moment. I would love to experience the moment in Costa rica! :grin:

9 Likes

I get a special mix of depression and anxiety every winter that Costa Rica would definitely take care of!

6 Likes

it’s called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just look up and what I see makes me happy.

Pic taken this morning.

5 Likes

I can hit a target that big from 1 1/2 miles

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking of going to Costa Rica this winter. I went to Puerto Rico last winter and fell in love, but obviously I can’t go back for quite a while.
I have been looking at a Youtube channel “Travel Costa Rica.com” for a while trying to get a feel for the place…it seems pretty cool.
But I wouldn’t go there searching for happiness. The only place you’ll find happiness is inside yourself, and can take a life time, and you still may not find it.

4 Likes

Please do. We love it when people visit. Everyone will smile and try to make you happy…

6 Likes

why can’t you go back to puerto rico?!

Hurricane Maria pretty much destroyed it. Electricity and running water are still not available to many areas.

I don’t think that’s the real reason