The year is 1999 and you're a fresh-faced teen in the Midwest with a gram of the latest "hydro" or "60/120" - What cultivar are you likely smoking?

It’s been too long; I can barely recollect the sudden market shift that arrived like a freight train in my teenage years, when “shwagg” got the shaft and the “dro” became king…

7 Likes

Back then, we had “green bud” (dat Chronic), “red bud” (decent mids) and “brown bud” (brick/dirt).

. … BUT, I do recall getting some early “Purple Kush” which was beautifully colored, and “Orange bud” which was only named that because it was drowning in orange pistils.

5 Likes

Mine happened because I started growing. But commercially we went from brick to northern lights to white widow to kush if I remember correctly.

What’s 60/120?

4 Likes

Yessir, it was mids for the week, then splurge on that Friday night Chronic run. I do remember “Green Crack” making its seasonal rounds, but it was different each time.

2 Likes

That’s just what it eventually devolved to when “chronic” and “hydro” got too cliche. ($60 an eighth, $120 a quarter) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Holy cow that’s pricey. Brick was shit brick but we’d get nice buds for 70 a Q and 120 a half back then

4 Likes

As far back as like '95, i can recall paying 50/eighth for the chronic. Dirt was, hell I don’t remember the weight but I’d pay 20 and it was a quart size baggie jammed full, lol :rofl:. Whenever those “red bud” mids came around it was like roughly half the price of green, like 20 or 25 an eighth

4 Likes

lol, yes it was! But hey, eventually I got the buddy discount of $400 an O - so I guess I had that goin for me.

2 Likes

Yeah sometimes you must bend to market forces. And I thought I was getting ripped off when people tried to sell me $230 ozs :joy:

4 Likes

You can always count on getting ripped off in the suburbs

5 Likes

Yeah. As a general rule as a kid, for quality, I was willing to pay $40 an eighth, $70 a quarter, $120 a half, $220 an oz.

But this was a long time ago and adjacent to an art school so maybe that had something to do with it :rofl:

5 Likes

Back in that era there was a lot of BC Bud grown hydro going around. Not the best weed but average smoke that was a lot better than schwag.

1 Like

Mexican brick or Texas dirt. All it was to be had around here in the south.

1 Like

Northern lights, m39, big bud, white widow, there’s a lot of options

2 Likes

For me this happened around 1987. Before then, all you ever saw was outdoor or brick weed. Then one day, someone started selling grams of indoor hydroponic weed for 15 a gram. My buddies and I thought that was outrageous! Eights were $12.50-15.00, why would we pay $15.00 for a gram? But it looked so good, sticky and stinky and the smell of the smoke was so captivating, we pooled our money and tried a gram. It was at that time I immediately began training myself on how to save up for the fifteen dollar grams :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

“If I stop buying toothpaste I could save a dollar a week…” :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

(I used to live above a pizza place when I was young and broke and I would go downstairs and steal their toilet paper)

1 Like

I never bought anything by name/strain when i was in high school and smoked.

After I retired and started smoking again, the first 5 grams I bought were through a buddy’s dealer I got 5g of “Alcapulco Gold” for I think it was $80. The first dispensary weed I bought was from Colorado and it was Blue Dream. That stuff was alright for $100/oz. If it would have stayed that cheap I never would have started growing. :smiley:

The drive to Colorado every few months was like a day long adventure.

2 Likes

Blue Dream

3 Likes

Wow interesting how things were in different parts of the world. Were i was in 1999 (somewhere around europe) we were getting g13haze, Nevils haze, nl#5hz, super silver haze, jack herer, white widow, a5hz, rino, ak47, great white, xxx, la nina, armagedon, ect, ect ect. I think we had some of the biggest selection by then an due to competion an growing methods improving had access to some of the highest quality. Id say by about 2003-2006 the quality had dropped considerably an sadly was never the same.
Something else just to give you all a example, were i was in 1999-2000 a killo of most of the strains above at the highest grade, done perfectly you could get for 3400-3500 at the most expensive. By the time 2003-2006 had set in a killo of decent to good stuff was 5500-7000 an sometimes even that would be wet.

3 Likes