The year of making do

Hello fellow growers, this will be my first post ever on OG, and my second grow ever.

I’m currently on day 55 from germination, growing an LA Amnesia from Paradise seeds.

I just remodeled my grow box. I’m growing in an Ikea Besta cabinet with four boxes: one for the equipment, and then separate boxes for seedlings, vegging, and flowering.

My kit is an SGL ninja bundle with six micro panels. I’m growing in All-mix using a combination of Biobizz and Hesi products. I’ll post detailed photos of my lab and vegging plant in a follow-up post.

Today I accidentally clipped a few tips off and decided to try cloning them. I didn’t have any root starter so I mixed up a little Hesi root complex and used that. I did happen to have a little rockwool though, so the clippings went under a dome in the starter box.

I’ll post about the clones in a follow-up. I know next to nothing about cloning so I’ll definitely be looking for help.

This is only my second grow ever. My first grow was plagued with rookie errors but I did manage to eke out ~100g of decent bud. So far I’ve managed to avoid the worst rookie mistakes.

I’m happy to receive any criticism or feedback of any kind. I’m here to learn. Glad to be here!

51 Likes

Cool Man!!! Welcome to OG!!! Get growing. :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Here’s my grow lab:

Going counterclockwise from the top left:

Starter box
Veg box
Flower box
Equipment box

49 Likes

Wow! Very clean!!! Can’t wait to see it all filled up!!

3 Likes

Today I started three clones by accident. I was doing some trimming and whoopsie cut off some tips.

I was just about to throw them away when it occurred to me that even though I know nothing at all about cloning, it might still be worth a shot. I did have a little rockwool which I understand is a good medium for starting clones, so I cut three squares and put them in a tray for cocktail ice cubes.

I didn’t have any clone starter but I did have some Hesi root complex so I mixed up some of that to wet the cubes and put the rest in a spray bottle. Has anyone here ever tried Hesi root complex as a clone starter? I guess we’re about to find out if it works lol.

I wasn’t sure how wet to make the rockwool, so I took a couple of ml of the fluid and used my little dropper / pipette to poke a hole in the rockwool and injected the fluid into the cube with it. I assumed it should be moist but not wet. If I need more liquid hopefully someone will clue me in.

The clippings are looking fine after about 12 hours so… So far so good :+1:

15 Likes

By the way this thread is “the year of making do” because in about a year I hope to have my house finished where I will have a little dedicated grow room. For now I’m renting so it’s important to have a discreet cabinet that doesn’t attract attention in case of unexpected visits from landlords or maintenance. We do what we can…

18 Likes

Welcome to OG @Beak . Check out @Mr.Sparkle , he does some amazing stuff in concealed cabinets. :v:

11 Likes

Thanks for that link! That setup looks AMAZING I cannot believe how much product they’re pulling out and it’s so… Built-in! Definitely going to deep dive that one when it comes time to set up my bigger grow space. I’m good at building cabinetry so the idea of building out some cabinets instead of throwing up a tent really appeals to me.

I found out about OG just the other day, I was linked here from the SGL discord server by SaintAliasKnife who also has a really impressive track record with sterile media grows. I can’t link to their thread because I’m a new user but it’s like 600+ comments long and blew my mind.

Learning to grow in sterile media like coco is definitely on my to-learn list. I started with soil because I assumed it would be the most forgiving for a noob like me but I learned (only recently) the hard way that you still gotta invest in a good meter and check runoff. As long as I’m watching runoff like a hawk I might as well skip the soil eh?

Thanks for the welcome!

12 Likes

Welcome to og

2 Likes

I grow in coco but have never once checked my runoff, lol. I know lots of folks do though. Whatever your medium or what you want to explore there is bound to be someone here already using it that can help you along.

3 Likes

That’s cool as hell man. props.

2 Likes

Nice clean cabinets. Brings me back to my micro growing days. :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

benvenuto @Beak .nice to have you here.

:dove:

4 Likes

Altrettanto @SaintAliasKnife thanks for hipping me to this place. Thanks also for the very kind words you gave me at the end of my first grow with all my little stunted plants. Your words of encouragement meant a lot. Don’t know if you remember that, but I do.

9 Likes

Hey @Beak , welcome to OG. Nice, clean set up you’ve got started there! Is that LA Am from the old Chong’s Choice line?
:grin::v:

3 Likes

Yep that’s the one! I grew one in my first grow along with three Wappas. I really liked the Wappas but I didn’t have any seeds left so I planted the only seed I had lol.

5 Likes

Right on @Beak . I got a nice one, a few years back and it brings back memories. Do you need some seed? My fem stock is dismal right now but if you wanna look through some regs, I’ve got plenty amd don’t mind sending you a few flips.
:grin::v:

5 Likes

TY so much for the generous offer but I’m on the other side of the pond, not sure abt the logistics of that, plus with my tiny grow I want guaranteed femininized seeds. No time for balls :rofl: hoping to get some more Wappas bc I loved the terps on that plant.

4 Likes

So on my first and only grow I just measured what I put in, and not what came out. It all seemed complicated plus it didn’t make sense to me at the time. But my plants were stunted and I never really had a satisfying answer as to why they didn’t get bigger.

So then I started this plant, and like my other grow she looks healthy enough, but she wasn’t getting very big, and definitely wasn’t drinking water very fast. I had only watered her once after transplanting her to a 13-liter container and it took about two weeks for her to drink it up. I watered again and it took another week for her to catch up. So when I watered for the third time I made sure to get some runoff and decided to test it for the first time.

Boy did I get a shock. pH was low, but worse, TDS and EC were about 4X recommend levels. So I flushed her until TDS and EC came down and right away she started looking a lot healthier. That was a about a week ago, maybe ten days. So I’m still getting her stabilized. But I definitely learned a surprising lesson!

5 Likes

Barney Farms and Anesia seeds have excellent fems.

3 Likes