Things that make you go Hmmm

Breaking out the specs…

3 Likes

That is brilliant!!!

3 Likes

7 Likes

If this site would just show pictures full size, that would be fucking great!

7 Likes

I saw It for a second. Im pretty sure it should show full size pics
Edit. It’s back.
Edit 2 . Ohhh vertical limits…

5 Likes

I can only see “top” of the picture, when they are large. Rather then showing a thumbnail, I often pass shit thinking it’s the full picture and later finds out there are more to them.

But you have to click them to find out, and that sucks IMO. Same with all the links openin in the same window, rathern then a new tab :smile:

3 Likes

Oh and silk purses are my favourite type.

5 Likes

tre HRGiger

:evergreen_tree:

7 Likes

Put a new engine in and the house still won’t start

12 Likes

Looks like u missed a few connections to the drywall and failed to hook it up to the studs

4 Likes

Might wanna try adjusting the carborator as well!

3 Likes

I even got a new tranny for the house but it seems worse now!

4 Likes

Try a 42" tranny!

14 Likes

Perfect, ill go down to O’Reilys as soon as I see a Dr.

4 Likes

This took a year to compile? Hmmmmm

It seemed like it would be fairly quick to fly the hard drives to one location and then when the data was combined it was supposed to be a few weeks before the picture was visible. Then it’s a blurry disappointing blob.

1 Like

I had the opportunity to visit these folk at the Havard Smithstonian Institute last summer.

This was based on several radio observatories from around the world all acting in concert. The data from the individual radio observatories when combined amounts to a one very large earth sized telescope. But, it takes a whole lot of math and computation to generate the final image.

That is exactly what they did, captured the data and shipped the hard drives to a processing center. They only have a small window of opportunity a couple time a years and the results are very dependent on everything going perfectly.

While the image appears less than impressive, the distance to this anomaly is roughly 55 million light-years from Earth!!!

Translated into miles:

323324396000000000000 miles away! Phew!

7 Likes

I’m obsessed with black holes, so the hype and the image resulting is extremely disappointing.

If the image was this poor the hype wasn’t really that okay. Try even said themselves they didn’t learn anything from this "picture":rofl: fail. Total fail.

2 Likes

Well, i don’t know about it being a poor picture. Considering it’s the first ever I reckon it’s not bad…for something that wasn’t even confirmed to exist since whenever it was that they were confirmed to exist. Also, considering the distance involved I think it’s very exciting. And, it’s colour, and much better than the photo’s from the 1800s of a subject(s) standing three meters away. Having said that, let’s remember that the picture we’re seeing there is older than mankind as we know it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It only helped them to reinforce relativity.

The image the wound up with just looked like they took the interstellar one and blurred it really :sweat_smile:

1.5 years later the hype is not true at all. We only learned we have to try again :sweat_smile:

On the note of compiling it they already know how to combine that type of information into a picture as they did practice runs to avoid that blurry picture result they got from getting it at a bad angle. They look to have taken the safe bet angle that leaves it out of focus.

We already know the angle we need that can get a clear picture of it just based on the nature of physics under those circumstances.

As annoyed as I am that they pulled this crap it does teach us Einstein was like we always assumed right so far.

As for the we didn’t know it existed part we did know for certain they exist. Through observations we leaned about how gravity effects light and to find black holes it became much simpler to look for the distortion in light around the disc than to search for the hole itself. In some cases finding them required investigation on why some stars were acting strange.

If we didn’t know they existed we wouldn’t know at the center of every spiral Galaxy there’s a black hole as well. As dooming as that sounds for us to think that we’re in one and one day going to be swallowed it’s so far away the earth will be long dead by that point. With how we’re wrecking it the time table for us turning Earth into Mars or Venus depending on how we do it is really honestly no more than 150 years we have left unless we do something about it.

:joy:

:evergreen_tree:

14 Likes