This is 99's Green House

It has been a cloudy spring and summer so far. Looks like a stretch of sunny weather. Things should pop.

So far, the heat has been OK. I am into larger containers and that seems to help a lot.

3 Likes

Mid-Week Update

Cali-O-Durban

Time Wreck

Hope you’re having a great week!

16 Likes

always a great morning when I can get up and see @99PerCent and his greenhouse doing amazing!

7 Likes

I thank you sir.

Have a great rest of the day too!

3 Likes

Summer is starting to really heat up.

Kudos to @Baudelaire. I believe he has captured the vigor of the California Orange with this cross. No 1 is a little hard to see, but this looks like a female. No 2 is shaping up to be a male so far.

Big thanks to @Jellypowered for these seeds.

Cali-O-Durban No 1

Cali-O-Durban No 2

11 Likes

Nice plants man!

I really like your greenhouse but hope you poured concrete in those cinder-blocks and set anchor bolts because doesn’t look like it’s anchored at all except by it’s own weight (which isn’t enough if big storm came up). Really should have dug a footer and poured some concrete for that nice of greenhouse.

Where I live if not anchored it would already be across the yard (or worse)…but we get big storms with strong winds here occasionally.

If not anchored at least sink some 2-3 foot posts in concrete at 4 corners and attach to posts. If anchored already then no worries (just old time carpenter trying to help).

Hate for you to loose your grow and your greenhouse!

2 Likes

Actual footings are not permitted for ancillary buildings where I live.

By law, they must be on blocks at grade. The floor on the inside and a skirt on the outside lock the blocks in place, but nothing can have a permanent footing.

2 Likes

I’ve built houses and met with framing inspectors and never heard of such a thing. Of course building codes vary but one can do almost anything when it comes to a shed in the backyard (footing or no footing).

Most code restrictions for sheds, etc. deal with distance from property line not how it’s built. You as the homeowner have many options.

Not sure how you, “locked in”, anything from what I see (I don’t even see a row-lock…you know with concrete) and again if shed is just set (not bolted) to foundation then you taking a big risk. It’s your shed man (and a nice one) but eventually it’s going places if it’s just sitting on the foundation.

Peace out

3 Likes

Fortunately, I live in Mass, and we rarely get hit with the big storms.

Code is code in MA.

PS, I am also a carpenter of 20 years.

6 Likes

Ya, just an occasional Nor’easter/and hurricanes…lol…but ya nothing like out here in, “Tornado Alley”!

I have stuff put back to build a greenhouse myself at some point and really like your design with that non-see through window.

If you are a carpenter and ain’t worried about anchor bolts to a decent foundation then guess I shouldn’t worry about it. When I build mine I’ll have to build a footer with wired re-bar in it and bolts set to protrude through bottom plate of wall with nut screwed down tight over bottom plate but we get just regular storm wind gusts 60-70 mph. Likely why rarely see one of those little metal sheds around here.

Good luck to you sir!

5 Likes

Hurricane straps and all. No laughing matter when those hit.

Yeah we can be a little lazy around these parts, hehe

Please post pics of your build here. It will inspire others to build them. I think this is going to be key to my food and medicine future.

3 Likes

Sounds good except now the wife just about has me talked into doing a sun-room with a Jacuzzi so would add on a separate south facing room utilizing drains on a tiled floor.

I’m growing small now for personal medicine but may grow it into a business at some point so would need decent sized room. Fortunately, I have fair amount of space so kinda thinking of a separate building all together instead of an addition.

The laws here just can’t be visible so would have to get windows like yours for at least part of it.

What fun that the world is finally coming around to what many of us have known for a long time!

Happy growing :grin:

3 Likes

I so want a large solarium with HVAC and humidity control :thumbsup:

Huh. Any idea why that is?

1 Like

People around here apparently like to convert these things into habitable spaces, which adds bedrooms and taxes sewer systems. Frankly, I think it is all wrong and misguided, but the Bldg Insp asked me specifically how it was to be set.

1 Like

Bizarre, footings are the trigger? Are they thinking of septic? If it’s a sewage thing then why doesn’t the town just look-up the permit/plans to interconnect to the septic/sewage line.

Thanks for the insight. Didn’t know that this was a thing. I would have thought they’d want the opposite.

Or, I’m guessing, taxation opportunity? Must be MA. The land of flimsy excuses to increase tax revenue. :grimacing:

1 Like

Naw, they are thinking that the shed acts like a bedroom, and they simply use the rest of the house as though they lived there. I think this sort of thing used to happen a long time ago, but is totally nuts for the way things are these days.

I wanted a slab with four corner posts, drainage, etc. but this should hold up just fine. It will have to be hurricane force wind and a direct hit, which is not too likely.

1 Like

Oh, no doubt. It’s beautiful. Just was curious as to the why… Thanks.

1 Like

is the california orange like the orange tree?

2 Likes

I can only hope. I believe this strain has been floating around the west coast for a long time, but I am sketchy on the history.

2 Likes