Tinytuttle's Grow Chronicles 2019

I try prying it off is delicately as possible it’s based a lot on observations and time in that state … I like that idea of yours and will try that next time thanks for the tip!

8 Likes

@Tinytuttle, @Phatlewtz. I discovered that if I plant the seed a little deeper it works that helmet off during the journey to the light. FWIW
:cowboy_hat_face:

11 Likes

I have the same experience. I typically only need to perform an emergency hullectomy when the seed was either planted too shallow or when it has an especially hard hull.

9 Likes

Seedling and plant update:

Looks like I have all new seeds in the veggie/ flower tray into the seedling stage except the columbines. Three different varieties of cabbage are up , mesclun and lettuce variety are up and the Celome and lupines are finally through the soil , I must have a pretty good mycelium network going as well little bitty mushroom are popping up here and there!

9 Likes

lupine and spider flower

7 Likes

More shrooms!

12 Likes

So with the struggling of getting the columbine to pop I decided to scarify some remains seeds between wet paper towels that have been in the frig ,it’s been ten days since my last tray planting here I’m taking 2 peat pucks and planting seeds 4/puck at the cardinal points right on top of the media and into the clone dome

Tip: when dealing with tiny seeds get a #2 pencil with rubber eraser wet it and pick up your seed and place it exactly where ya want it! Then gently rub it off into the media.

11 Likes

That is an excellent tip!!! Much better than trying to snatch them up with tweezers or adding a small pinch here/there :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Ya I picked that up from somewhere works pretty damn slick IMO !

5 Likes

This is the spider flower I’m hoping to grow

11 Likes

lupines

9 Likes

I think Lupines are wildflowers here. They grow really well. I was reading the other day about those darn Columbines and you are right, they need stratification. It said that after keeping seeds cold for a few weeks you can jump start them by pouring boiling water on the seeds. I’m giving up on mine. Growing out too many things to go through all that work. If I decide that I want some later I will break down and buy established plants. The Alstromeria that I want badly has bitch seeds that need stratification also, so I’ll eventually break down and buy full plants of those as well. I really love starting from seeds, bulbs or bareroot plants though. Just love seeing them break through the soil. lol

6 Likes

Let’s see could be those were just really old seed the blue columbine were stored dry over the years in the frig will give the cold wet storage thing a go I’v also read that the poly hybrids might be easier to grow as well.

8 Likes

Just did a speed reed, nice place you got here. Mind if I hang around? I see your Lupine came up, did you score and soak those? I’ve always had a little trouble with lupy.

6 Likes

I didn’t they were a little sporadic on breaking through the soil some were up in ten days others push 2.5 weeks…?im going to try fresher seed these were several years old iirc

By all means hang around as long as ya want

4 Likes

Brilliant @Tinytuttle. Thanks for the tip. I’ve had tiny white seeds finish as keepers. (LA Confidential)

4 Likes

Wondering your guys/gals opinion on breaking open one of these capsules and watering into the soil? Thoughts they are probiotics for infants and children

7 Likes

5 Likes

Nah… Those are lacotse bacterium(used for breaking down milk for infants that are slightly intolerant)

If youre feeding your plant milk though… Lol

7 Likes

Isn’t one of the same things LABS are made of that some of the organic guys are using though?

7 Likes