Tissue culture instead of mother plants

Cannabis Tissue Culture Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF4OTL1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dG9DDbWJ80RQY

I simply don’t have any room for a mother cabinet, like I have in the past. I have a space that’s about 2x2 that I could use, and that equates to about 4 mother plants. Yet in the same space I could have at least 16 jars if not more. So it’s just a factor of available space, that’s all.

1 Like

Or 300 petri dishes. Do they need to be kept cold?

I don’t believe so, no.

1 Like

If you bonsai your mothers you could keep way more than 4!
In vitro cultures are cool and it is true you can have a huge amount of plants on a shelf but that’s going to be a hobby in itself. And it’ll take some time before you can have the whole cycle going as it is a lengthy process.
Simple, but laborious.
It’s a great hoby if you have the time and patience for it though.

2 Likes

So is anyone else here doing cannabis plant tissue culture? I’m happy to answer questions for those dabbling or about to dabble.

Good God whatever you do don’t buy prepared media, buy the supplies to make your own and thank me later.

6 Likes

Popcorn out . Please teach :seedling::green_heart:

I really struggle with sterile technique. Tried to do tissue culture with various mushrooms 10 years ago. Lined a plastic “clean room” and made a cardboard and plastic glove box. Made my own agar agar dishes. Everything molded. Everything.

1 Like

Aseptic technique is a skill set. Kobe Bryant didn’t quit basketball the first time he missed a shot. Practice x 3, and then do it some more.

There is a product called PPM, Plant Preservative Material that is a general biocide and will inhibit molds, mildews and bacteria. Put that into your media. Think of it as the American Express card of tissue culture media. Don’t do tissue culture without it.

8 Likes

There’s a really good, and [accurately] informative post here on the forum already, just no reports or photos on successes and failures. I’d recommend starting there.

While journal articles are a great way to determine starting points to design experiments to create baselines, some are just plain bullshit.

The key is to determine what your end goal is first.

If it’s to clean a plant then use apical meristem tissue culture. If it’s micropropagation then do nodal tissue culture. If you want to put genetics into cold storage then do indirect organogenesis and callus tissue culture.

7 Likes

@Northern_Loki, how are your trials going?

2 Likes

Here is some Agar from nearly a year ago using the pressure cooker technique:

Opened the pack and it still looks good today. PPM was added to the media. So, it’s definitely possible to do aseptic preparation of the media in the kitchen (like canning).

Quick survey of about a dozen vials and they all look fine.

Aseptic space and cleaning the sample tissue is now to be tested. My timing didn’t quite line up with my grow schedule last spring so the trial went on pause. I’ll be revisiting this soon…

Great summary!

9 Likes

If those vessels have hormones in them I would toss them out and make new media. Seriously, if you are not using the media within a couple of weeks then hit reset completely.

Of course, anyone can DIY at home, especially if one already have aseptic skills from doing home mycology.

Do you have questions? What is the timing that you are referring to? If you have a mother plant just get a few new ones going and use the best to replace her. You’re looking at a 3-4 month process anyway. There is no time better than the present. !!

4 Likes

No, not using those. Good point. Just showing that aseptic preparation is possible (carefully planned steps). A year without infection shows sterility can be achieved in the kitchen using the presented technique using mostly household items.

Timing in that I have other things going on and limited windows of opportunity :slight_smile: Will get to it again, soon. Don’t keep mother’s here, myself.

2 Likes

Get your priorities straight damn it… <3

3 Likes

:upside_down_face: Wife is the priority :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Ooof… yeah happy wife something something something

4 Likes

I think plenty are WANTING to learn more, yet most don’t know what information is helpful and what is bullshit. And yes, I realize everything is going to take research and learning on their own. Time and resources then become an issue

3 Likes

Smart man. Wives are good. Well, one per anyway.

Also, for those following along at home, if that was a contaminated vessel you’d know within a week. Unless you had it chilled at 4 degrees, then maybe a few weeks. Even so, PPM in a dof itself will inhibit a lot too.

5 Likes

Do you have a starting point for indirect organogenesis that you could recommend?

2 Likes