TLT - Congo Red Stem

Welcome to my grow diary for Congo Red Stem from The Landrace Team. This is a preservation run for FBSC.

Strain Description:

Started: 03/21

Seeds were soaked in a 1% H2O2 solution with a drop of Coco-Wet. After ~18 hours the seeds had imbibed water and were transferred to 2" pots containing a pasteurized soil mix. The soil mix is 50% sieved potting soil and 50% worm castings. Sieving the soil removes the clumps and makes for a consistent texture. Once combined, the soil mix is brought to field capacity and pasteurized at 140 °F for two hours. Pasteurization was done via water bath using a sous vide machine. Germination took place in the dark, inside a humidity dome with the vents closed. The lid was opened once each day for FAE. Five days later, ten congo seedlings are on the search for light.

Should be a bit of a journey. May there be many beans.

References:
Development and Standardization of Rapid and Efficient Seed Germination Protocol for Cannabis sativa
Wetting Agents, What are they, and how do they work?
Propagation Soil Preparation

40 Likes

Think I’m here for the duration. I hope you don’t mind if I claim that far right corner. I know it’s gonna be a l-o-n-g show, so I bought a pillow. Best of luck, stay safe, take special care and, indeed, be well…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

Bucket pulled up and following along good sir!

6 Likes

Sorry, slightly offtopic: How much H2o2 is good for Seed Germination? I heard needs very few, just some Drops. Anyone? Icmag my go to forum is unusable right now…

3 Likes

Looking forward to this one! Grabbing a seat!

4 Likes

Just 2% will work fine. So that’s 2% of a 2% solution. I think it was a teaspoon or a tablespoon per gallon. Extra won’t hurt though. Some people use much more.

3 Likes

so if the Solution is already containing only 2 Percent , dillute it AGAIN 2 Percent?

2 Likes

I just checked. It’s about 16 teaspoons. A gallon has 768 teaspoons. 1% would be roughly eight teaspoons so 2% is 16 teaspoons of regular hydrogen peroxide( which in the u.s. is 2%) in a gallon of water, or 4 teaspoons in a quart, or two in a pint. Some people use a higher percentage. I think people have had success with 10%

5 Likes

This will be great. I’ve never grown red Congo but I’ve bought it and really liked it. :raised_hands:

5 Likes

I have my comfy chair in the corner next to bee he always has fresh popcorn and good buds. I really like that germination method and with results like that you cant hardly argue. Do you do it that way all the time?

5 Likes

Most of my references for my reasoning on this procedure are in links section. The top link discusses different concentrations of H2O2 and it affects on germination. 1% is the ideal concentration based on that article but 1 - 3% would be fine. I am just diluting the 3% solution that is found in most stores. 1 part H2O2 to 2 parts distilled water in this case.

5 Likes

Gotta watch and take notes! :sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

1 to 3 percent ok Thanks! but as info, i think your calculation is not right. 2 Percent means 50 parts water and one Part H202 . Anyway.

1 Like

Did you pasteurize your soil because of pests? Or are you trying to cultivate thermophiles?

1 Like

H2o2 comes at 3%, so if you diluted 1:2, that would become 1%, right?

1 Like

It’s something I plan on sticking to and has become my procedure recently. The combination of H2O2 and pasteurization has eliminated the vast majority of pathogens I’ve dealt with during germination. It’s been pretty carefree with this approach so far.

6 Likes

I pasteurized the soil mainly as a preventative measure. Pasteurization kills off pathogens in the soil and allows other microbes to colonize the medium in their place. This makes the soil resistant to the colonization of pathogens for a period of time. Substrate pasteurization in the cultivation of mushrooms is a good example of this.

6 Likes

Check this out: Diluting A % Solution

I grow many a mushroom, thats why I asked

2 Likes

No mamamia.

I dont need help in Math.

Its just that @Upstate told me to dillute a already 2 Percent Solution AGAIN ONE MORE TIME to 2 Percent. Thats why i informed @anon93244739 that he was using too much(acording upstate)

2 Likes