TopShelfs trees (Part 5)

Or “Pete I like you but you can’t take mushrooms and then mow your lawn at 3am. You’re being a dickhead”

4 Likes

Now that I think about it I’ve had good landlords but never good management

4 Likes

I’ve had good/ok landlords

My current one called the fire marshals on me cause he told me to clean up, gave me a month, fucked off for a year, then called them when I hadn’t done much.

Not saying he can’t, but kinda a dick move to not even talk to me first is all I’m saying

3 Likes

Plus he didn’t do what they told him to so that definitely rubs me the wrong way

1 Like

I’m just gonna keep that in my pocket unless he wants to come back and look at shit then I’m gonna tell him oh yeah bring that hard wired smoke detector with strobe with ya. Or don’t show up

2 Likes

I’ve also been a landlord so I get both sides of it. But really it’s not in a landlords best interests, not around here anyway, to piss off their tenants.

3 Likes

Yes exactly right

3 Likes

I just tell myself, it’s not worth it to start shit, just do what I need to, to keep growing my plants. I could look for retribution but that could start a cycle that I have zero interest in starting.

3 Likes

My mindset is I want him to just leave me the fuck alone

1 Like

My current landlord is ok and I have a lot of freedom that I wouldn’t have elsewhere, but unfortunately the apartment is small, I think it will soon be time for a change of location again.

2 Likes

Yeah I hear ya but there’s the type who while continue to live there for a year without paying before anything happens to them. And even then good luck collecting.

3 Likes

A good landlord is up to code and should only be seen in case of emergency. I insisted on post dated cheques for rent because I think it’s distasteful to knock on their door for money every month.

3 Likes

I missed rent a few times but always paid my balance. I do not think ripping him off is gonna gonna long term for my interests, even if i thought that was somehow viable. I pay 685 Canadian a month for rent and water. Power separate. With the state of thing in canada, as expensive as this is to my budget, I’m lucky I moved in years ago and never moved anywhere else. Housing is basically The Ring on horror steroids right now. I live on something like 15k canadian a year. 7k on rent and about 2.4k on power, 1.2k on debt, 700 on internet, that leaves me 3.4k or something for insurance, food, and literally anything else i need to not die.

3 Likes

We got a really good deal on this place because the previous owners got a professional scammer tenant, weren’t getting any rent, and couldn’t afford to keep the place. There was a chicken pot pie in the oven when we moved in.

The guy ended up going to jail for other things.

5 Likes

I pay via e transfer

He used to leave me alone then i guess he started doing yearly inspections, probably cause of shitty people like you mentioned.

I don’t think he’s a terrible person. I heard he was a good employer compared to his employee who he sold his pizza restaurant to. The guy who took my broken doorknob off for me (I was stuck omfg) asked me who I rented from and said he was a good guy. I had no rebuttal to that, lol.

I just think he sucks a bit. Not a slumlord but not a great one either. Counters aren’t glued down.

2 Likes

mind me asking for how much m² or sqf

2 Likes

I guesstimate 12x24 ish.

I never measured. I’ve got 8x4 tent in the living room/kitchen area which is aprox half the unit. It’s against one wall and leaves 4 to 5 ft. So maybe 14x24 who knows. Bathroom is about 4 ft wide by 10 to 12. Bedroom takes up what’s left, when I had the 8x4 flood tray here it’d leave about 2 feet to the closet.

So maybe 14x24 like I said. With 14x12 being the living room / kitchen, 4x12 bathroom, 10x12 bedroom. I dunno, just guessing.

2 Likes

Also fair to note that his agent, who is the sister of my downstairs neighbour (she lives in the ground floor and basement unit, my entrance is around back at the top of an exterior staircase) reimbursed me for the new doorknob without complaint.

1 Like

thank you . II always find that interesting. What the cost of living is like elsewhere

2 Likes

Where in Canada are you? I’m in Toronto and the market is out of control.

3 Likes