TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Off with her head!

4 Likes

Finally chopped the Purple Kush auto.

Long overdue, still had some unfinished areas but whatever we are moving on.

Considering how deprived it was for so long, I’m surprised I got as much as I did from it. Also surprised she didn’t just die weeks ago.

Smells great classic Kush smell but very strong.

11 Likes

Looks good dude. Cant beat a nice kush taste.

Enjoy sir.

3 Likes

Modifications

Making some much needed mods for next round.

Made some.shelving brackets to support my drain tray, will be easier to adjust the tray now and it should be super ultra level.

Cut the corners off my drain tray and welded some walls on to prevent leaks. This should improve airflow as I had some slight mold issues last round.

Added a canopy fan to keep air moving up top.

Sprayed in and around the cabinet with permethrin, this will leave a film that is toxic to many pests, and is long lasting in comparison to pyrethrin or tetramethrin.

Tomorrow I will focus on thoroughly cleaning the cabinet and irrigation equipment, as well as preparing my pots and medium.

I think this round instead of using 2.2L pots and a 400gph pump with lots of pressure reductions, I’m going to try using an 80gph pump and 1.8-2L pots for irrigation in hopes I can increase watering frequency a bit.

7 Likes

Reduced pot size increase airflow, add another canopy fan, rework the irrigation to work with an 80gph pump annnnnnnd…

Ready for action.

Soaked 4xDark Devil F2s and 1xPurple Kush Auto fem last night. Into paper towel this morning, hoping for 4 plants this run.

10 Likes

Round 2

Seeds are all popped today and ready for their new homes. 5/5 had popped so I took the runtiest looking seed (Dark Devil) and put it in a 16oz Solo Cup because why not.

4xDark Devil F2 Fem Auto

1xPurple Kush Fem Auto (went in back left pot)

So let’s go!

11 Likes

Day 1

Well the same night I put my seeds in coco the power went out. So the last couple days without power has been complete chaos.

Temps dropped to 10C and no light meant I had to take them into my garage next to the wood stove and under a window. Used a half dozen flashlights to keep em lit during night.

They just didn’t wanna sprout so I excavated a bit of the coco to give them a hand. This worked for 3/5 seedlings and they managed to stick their heads out.

But now I had 3 helmet heads in direct light.

So some surgery and finesse I removed the seed shell and membrane and now we have plants! They have bounced back tremendously since yesterday and now the power is back and things are back to normal!

And although I was worried about the other two, things are looking hopeful for them as well.

Let’s hope that’s the last of the shenanigans for now!

11 Likes

Day 2

5/5 let’s go!

9 Likes

Day 3

Slow start here, they’re getting their first meal tonight. Look to still be growing hopefully things pick up soon.

8 Likes

Day 4

Things seem abnormally slow paced I don’t know at least they are growing.

8 Likes

Day 5

Slow start, things are way too dry but adding moisture is a difficult task.

4 Likes

Things always seem to move real slow in the beginning. To me everything looks like it’s right on track. Keep it up!

5 Likes

Day 6

Trying to get a bit more heat/moisture around the seedlings. This is what I came up with:

10 Likes

Day 6

Growth!

12 Likes

Dont forget to lift them.every once in a while to give them some fresh air. Also, you can slowly harden them off by loosening or removing the cap. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

One step ahead of ya. I don’t know it actually looks like the seedlings under the dome are healthier and further along than the one without. Either way this is only temporary and as soon as they get their legs the domes are coming off.

I am adding water once a day so I just lift the domes when I do. The caps are really loose to let some air out and the domes are just sitting on the surface not pushed down so there’s lots of room to breathe.

Waiting for another set of leaves then turning on the auto irrigation.

They are on 24/0 right now because it gets way too cold with lights off to give them a rest. Working on a solution but might be forced to run these 24/0 for a while until they can survive the 15C temps

6 Likes

Day 8

7 Likes

Day 9

6 Likes

Flipped thru your whole grow: beautiful! Very fast! Wish my grow would cooperate like yours lol

5 Likes

Thanks for stopping by! The last run had a lot of things go right and only very small course corrections were needed. One of the joys of growing small scale is that big problems become much smaller and more manageable when they do pop up.

This round it’s still too early to say. I’m expecting a bit longer finish as I’m into colder months now. A big factor in the explosive growth is the frequency of irrigation. This round I’ve been hand watering once a day these first 2 weeks before turning on the pumps and giving em 3-4 feedings a day.

They seem pretty established now so I’m thinking it’s time to fire up the pumps and let auto pilot take over lol

7 Likes