TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

I can’t wait to see how crinkle leaves does

6 Likes

I think baby crinkle leaves will grow out of it. Go baby crinkle, Go! lol

4 Likes

@Lucy247420 it’s been long enough, if number 4 isn’t above ground yet, it’s not gonna.

I’d say in the interest of uniformity don’t mix strains till you know your cab and how it’ll work, just my 2 cents :smiley:

4 Likes

I am kinda concerned about that, I think if the PK doesn’t arrive tomorrow (its due monday) then I’ll soak another DD.

Besides waiting any longer is bad because I’ll have to up the feed before too long and don’t want to have one way behind the others but being fed same food as them :wink:

3 Likes

One is definitely further along than the others. I’m going to take @Jellypowered advice and keep this grow all the same strain so I’m soaking a new DD seed right now.

New autos arrived in the mail today from Canuk seeds, they were kind enough to send me a pack of my choosing because of the troubles I had in my last grow and sent me 5xAuto Purple Kush fem and 1xAuto AK47 fem

Will definitely be growing these out in the future but am going to put them away for now.

11 Likes

Perhaps the one without the seedling coating?

1 Like

Of course. I just hope I haven’t retarded a week off their veg window. They are definitely growing out though, but the color seems awfully light green to me and a wee bit splotchy I’m thinking I might have my LEDs too close to the plants (~8")

2 Likes

That definitely could be, I wouldn’t actually know hehe but from what I’ve read then yes it seems too low. . . how about >12" like 12 -14"

2 Likes

I’ve read 12-14 for the high wattage, 8-10 for the 8.5w, I might bump em up later anyways my seedlings are putting on new leaves now so their “getting super leggy” phase should be over. I will say though these are the least leggiest seedlings I’ve started in a long ass time.

2 Likes

Then it seems like your lights are working great , I don’t get much stretch until veg and flower

4 Likes

Looking good Lucy! :popcorn: :movie_camera:

4 Likes

Hola Lucy

Looks good

if you need seed let me know
we’re neighbor after all

Bare

4 Likes

Thanks for stopping by and giving kind words everyone!

They look a little dry to be honest. Humidity is 55% today, my ventilation works really good, almost too good. Might have to start giving em a foliar to keep em moist til they get bigger.

10 Likes

They are taking off now! Color isn’t what I’d expect but they are packing on new growth quickly.

Now I have a bit of a problem. I got 3 plants that are ~1 week old and still no 4th plant to join them. I soaked a new seed 2 days ago and it’s only just now cracking and might actually not be viable.

And with the feed increasing very soon I don’t wanna be feeding week 2 nutrients strength to a brand new seedling.

It’s a pickle for sure, anyone got any suggestions about how to go about doing this the right way?

6 Likes

Just for other’s following along and as we discussed in chat, I up my feed to 900-1000ppm after week one, i just go light to start as really the plants just need water and light nutrients till they get there base going, and you can just hand water for the first week if needed, as you will only have to do it a couple times.

7 Likes

Do you just add to your leftover water and top up the ppm?

And does 1000ppm include my 75ppm tap and 25ppm shock or would it be additive like 1100 ppm total?

900-1000ppm total is what i do then i don’t have to add ;), my tap is about 20ppm and my calcium hypochlorite is whatever gets put in.

As for the leftover water you can mix and top it up if you would like, just re add the shock every week or so as it does break down.

My reservoirs usually go empty once the plants are going so i usually just pull the res and dump and leftovers and give it a quick rinse and pour the new batch in.

5 Likes

Day 9

Upped the ppm to 1000, also upped my pool shock to 40ppm because I had some crazy sediment and algae when I went to change the reservoir. Looks like I won’t be using my leftovers this week lol.

I also added an air pump “because I could”. It’s freaking me out only cycling once a day and having 23h59m of standing water each day. If my pots were smaller I’d be cycling more often and aerating but this just gives peace of mind. It’s not optimally located but it will do.

7 Likes

Something also to note is you gonna have more sediment in the first week or two as the finer stuff gets pushed out of your media, but megacrop does leave behind a bunch

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s quite easy to see which stuff is from the medium since it tends to float, whereas the megacrop tends to settle. The gelatinous, slimy cloud in the water leads me to believe there is an algae issue.

Keeping an eye out this week to see how bad it gets and possibly modifying the res to be more light proof.

For now I just upped my pool shock from 25ppm to 40ppm we will see how things go.

I got 30% hydroponic grade h2o2 and plenty of calcium hypochlorite to sanitize an issue should it arise. Fingers crossed it was just week 1 blues and this won’t be an active issue as I dial things in.

Also, no progress on seed #5, thinking it might be time to cut losses and try #6. The only thing I’m doing different than previous germinations is not adding h2o2 and/or b1. I might go back to this method, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, right?

4 Likes